I Don't Understand the MED Board.

dextman13

PEB Forum Regular Member
Hello, I have almost 19 years in the Navy, i'm right now going through a medboard for recurrent bowel obstruction (requires hospitalization every four months) and PTSD. It's looking like 100% military and VA disability. By time the my board is done i'll have less than a year left, should I take it and run or fight to stay, my doc said he could drag it out. What is the difference in pay and benifits between the two? Would medical retirement knock me out of Tricare for my family? Thank you for your time.

usafaviator

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Have you received your ratings back yet, or is the 100% a wag? Getting to 20 years is recommended, as it opens the possibility of concurrent receipt and more. I will be just shy of 19 myself when I retire in a few days (29 January)... I tried to drag it out a bit, but was unable to get to 20.

usmcgeorge

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Drag it and hit your 20year mark. Reason Is you could collect your retirement pay right away. Just file for va comp. I could be wrong hopefully someone could answer

ranger2992

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Drag it and hit your 20year mark. Reason Is you could collect your retirement pay right away. Just file for va comp. I could be wrong hopefully someone could answer
This is not applicable as he will be able to collect retirement right away if he is medically retired as well. Retired is retired. As USAFaviator said, 20 years is better because you open the door by being eligible for CRDP which will allow you to collect both VA and Retirement. If you have less than 20 years, you have to submit and be approved for CRSC. This depends on a combat related finding.

The obvious advantage of going through the MED board is if you were found 100% disabled, you would get 75% retirement which would be the same as a guy who did 30 years. Anything above 50% is going to be icing on the cake as it increases your percentage without having to do a full year to get an additional 2.5%.

dextman13

PEB Forum Regular Member
So, if you get medically retired and draw 75% of your base pay (over 19 years), you can not get the VA 100% disability rating? Think that like $3000, is this correct?

ranger2992

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
You will get 100% of your VA pay and if your retirement based on 75% was higher than the VA compensation, the difference between what the VA pays you and what DOD would pay you. You can not get paid twice for the same thing unless you qualify for CRSC or CRDP.

This is the short explanation. I provided the long explanation in the IM you sent me.

Jeep Freak

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
I read all of this twice and am still confused by some but others seem to have a good idea, not trying to be mean. I have already did this and I will tell you what happened for me.

I have over 20 yrs AD and was MEB'd. I got 80% DoD and received 75% (max by law no matter what they give you) from DoD until the VA kicked in. Once VA started my DoD pay dropped to what I earned for retirement (mine was 57.7%) and I am recieving what the VA found me at 90%. If you don't make it to 20 yr AD you basically lose the retirement pay and for me it is a big difference. The DoD pay is offset by the VA pay on a one on one unless there is combat related issues.

I would do everything in your power to drag it out to make it to the 20 yr mark. I was under the DES system and I'm thinking you are under the IDES system so I know things have changed like appeals and time frames.

Jeep Freak

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
I also wanted to point something else out. PTSD will get you 50% from the DoD out the door TDRL. You will be re-evaluated sometime in the future and that rating can go up or down before being put on PDRL. If you do a lot of reading here, it seems to go down.

Ruptured Duck

PEB Forum Veteran
Jeep, sorry to hear that. Wish you could've dragged it out to 20.

Dextman- The short answer is "BOTH". If I were you I would drag it out until you have your 20 AD since you're well within range considering you have 19 now, AND THEN let them medically retire you.

Jeep Freak

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Rupture Duck, I did make it to 20 years. I actually have a little over 20 years AD and 10 yrs Reserves and National Guard. The retirement pay drops because you would be double dipping on disability. My actual retirement pay is 57.7%. If the AF had diagnosed me with PTSD (combat related like the VA did), I believe a portion of my retirement would be tax free as well.

shrekmma

Registered Member
Okay, so I am thoroughly confused on the CRSC issue. I have heard a bunch of things and what I have read on the DFAS sites is quite ambiguous. I have 16 1/2 years, and am in the process of a MED Board. I anticipate a rating for retirement around 50 per cent, and possibly as high as 90 per cent from the VA. I do have combat-related injuries, and anticipate that I will qualify for the CRSC. That said, is the CRSC payment in addition to retirement pay, or an offset of retirement pay? That is to say, will i get my full DFAS retirement pay, and then will i get CRSC, or will i get a combination of the two not to exceed a certain amount? Any clear and concise information will be more than greatly appreciated.

ranger2992

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Not to push you off, but there is tons of information about this posted on this forum. Just type out CRSC in the search box and you will get some great threads. I have posted some very detailed stuff in other threads and it will answer everything you asked. If for some reason you can't find them, then I will gladly point you to them.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">