I was just referred to PEB by my ortho surgeon for compartment syndrome

haz

PEB Forum Regular Member
hi, i'm new to the family...
i had bilateral compartment release surgery on both legs for compartment syndrome a year ago. i've been on limdu ever since....my condition hasn't gotten better and now i have leg pain, muscle weakness and nerve damage. my surgeon ruled it a surgical fail. i've been in the navy 13 years and never failed a pfa but now i can not walk long distances, stand for more than about 10 minutes max and most definately cannot run,treadmill or eliptical for pfa.at this point i would gladly take med retirement so my question is what percentage would i be looking at for each leg and can i add other med issues that have documented in my record. thank you

haz,

Welcome! I need more information to make any sort of estimate of what you may be rated at for your conditions. Do you have limitation of range of motion of your joints? If so, what are the degree measurements? Have you had a nerve conduction study/EMG? If so, what are the results? Do you have foot drop? Do you use an AFO? This information would help with referencing the appropriate rating criteria.

thank you for the timely response,
i havent had any nerve test done that i'm aware of nor do i have any measurables on loss of motion as my condition effects the calf muscles in the leg. i have done strength tests with my surgeon and the nerve damage, muscle weakness, and pain i describe to him he agrees is the side effects from the condition of compartment syndrome and the failed surgery to correct it. i also have a laundry list of other issues like shin splints, flat feet, and ankle joint pain documented in my record. my condition is a rare one and from my understanding not alot is known about it...so i'm very nervous about getting the required 30% so i can retire.

I was just wondering if you have any new information? I am in the same situation as you are. I have had bilateral compartment release surgery on both legs twice. They have gotten a little better with each surgery but still not good enough. I am just curious as to how your situation is progressing.

Hi,
No new info yet...my package was sent to the board in April so hopefully in the next couple of months I will hear something back. are you trying to stay in or get out? how many compartments did they release on your legs? did you get it done at Balboa Hospital in San Diego?

Hi,
No new info yet...my package was sent to the board in April so hopefully in the next couple of months I will hear something back. are you trying to stay in or get out? how many compartments did they release on your legs? did you get it done at Balboa Hospital in San Diego?

I had all the compartments released for both sugeries. Before the first one my pressures measured about 25 at rest, 120 one min after exercise and 80 after five minute. Before the second operation they measured around 20/75/50.

I have been in 13yrs so I would like to stay in and get a perm waiver for running. There is nothing stopping me from being able to do my job. What I'm not sure about is how they will look at it in terms of being able to deploy.

I had both operations at the Black Hills Orthopetic and Spine Center in Rapid City, SD.

It has been about 6 weeks since the surgery and I have tested my legs out twice. Hills are the worst for me so I set a tredmill at 15% incline at 3 to 3.5mph. I was only able to go about 5mins before I had to stop. It's not as bad as before but definately not good enough...

I doubt I would be able to meet the 30% in order to medically retire so hopefully when I get boarded they will find me fit to do my job.

I'm not in the process yet but I know it will be coming soon. This has been going on for two years now. I have my follow up with the doc next week so I guess I will see what happens from there.

right now i can do my job on shore duty but would be unfit on a ship as i cannot run and lifting anything over ten pounds for extended period of time is difficult. i have great pain climbing stairs and ladderwells so I would be useless on a navy ship and thats what my doc based his narsum on that as a whole i can't do my job because shore duty and sea duty is considered and also if you can deploy which i cannot. i was doing research online and found a vet that got 20% for one leg after doing the surgery. and my doctor stated that the surgery failed and that it was no further treatment for me. i should have did one leg at a time like the docs wanted me to but i did them both at the same time.