IDES, AF Retirement due to IDES Outcome, and VA Rating Questions

Hi All. I was ADAF until 28 March, at which time I was retired (with 20yrs and 9mos TIS) due to IDES/IPEB unfit finding (30% DOD and 70% VA). I was notified of the unfit finding my by PEBLO in December (2018) and my retirement date was 28 Mar 19 (about two weeks ago). I logged into ebenefits yesterday to check to see if my ratings and compensation info was ever updated (as it never has been through this whole process other than two claims - one of which was opened when I started the IDES process back in August 2018 (that is on step three and currently still open) and one that was opened and closed in December (which says that a decision letter was sent to me (which I never received), but this coincides with the timeframe that my PEBLO told me I was unfit and gave me my ratings so I assumed that's what that was. Anyway va.gov also reflects the historical claim (the one from December) and the open August claim. I called the VA yesterday to see if there was a glitch in the system and at that time I was told that my ratings were never finalized, at which time I told the VA rep that I was medically retired from the AF two weeks ago and was told that I had a 70% VA disability rating. I am really confused now as I was told on the phone that my case was never finalized and that they are projecting a completion date of June 2019. Is this the normal process? I went back through the paperwork the PEBLO gave me while AD and it does say that it is a proposed VA rating but that it will become effective if I am separated from the military due to the MEB-referring condition and the IDES process. Also the VA rep told me that he was unsure if I would be backpaid to my date of separation.

Is this all part of the process when you are medically retired? Any input would help as this was never explained to me by the VA rep on base during the IDES process OR by my PEBLO. Thanks!

No this is not the normal process. There are always two claims. One for the service to facilitate the IDES process and a second one to pay the member. Did you upload your DD 214 to the VA?

No this is not the normal process. There are always two claims. One for the service to facilitate the IDES process and a second one to pay the member. Did you upload your DD 214 to the VA?

Hi and not yet. I've been trying to upload it today on va.gov (ebennies is saying that the claims status features was moved to va.gov). I've uploaded it four times today and it still isn't showing up in there. I just found out from a friend who was also just medically retired from the AF that I had to submit my 214 (I didn't know before today).

So the second claim that opened and closed in December was most likely my payment claim? Does that make sense that the payment claim would close before the other? Thank you for your help.

Without looking at the claims it would be hard to tell. Usually the DoD/IDES claim closes once the results are sent to DoD. Then the second claim opens and closes when your DD214 is uploaded.

Without looking at the claims it would be hard to tell. Usually the DoD/IDES claim closes once the results are sent to DoD. Then the second claim opens and closes when your DD214 is uploaded.

Okay, so I uploaded the 214. They closed that claim and opened a new one dated the day I retired. Is that how it usually goes? I'm not getting any answers when I call the VA other than an ETA of 1-2 months.

Yes, Make sure you upload the DD214 to the currently open claim.