IDES Timeline- Arthritis in Charleston, SC

My command is actually being helpful, mostly. The real problem is I can't set up a move until I get orders and that's the longest, most problematic thing I need to do. I've already got one job offer and another may be coming, but I don't know when I can start work or when I can move me, my wife, my 1 year old and our 2 dogs 1500ish miles to the midwest. I'm actually moving in my paperwork to get out, but it's all contingent on my orders.
I am happy it's almost done and I'll have a job, unlike a lot of people I know who are struggling to get a job coming out into this economy. Sorry they won't let you do all the stuff they require you to do before you get out. I got taken away from the division I worked in/ran and have been told to get my stuff done so I can separate on time. Hopefully your COC will help you get done what you need to get done. Good luck in school and moving.

Mike,
There's no evidence (yet) of any joint damage. I have minor calcification of the bones in my wrist, but nothing in any of the other joints that shows up on X-rays. My MRI of my SI joints shows normal, no damage. My rheumatologist told me that I'm early in the disease and haven't had much if any damage yet.

Justin

Specifically, did the VA attrubute your joint ratings/issues to the spondylitis or was it due to other causes?

Mike

I had my right wrist attributed to rheumatoid arthritis and left shoulder due to degenerative arthritis. Nothing was attributed to the spondylitis. I also had patellofemoral disease in both knees and my right elbow had some greek word, but I can't extend it all the way. I have a lot of 0% that will be going up in the next ten/twenty years.
Justin

Something does not seem right. You have rheumatoid arthritis and ankylosing spondylitis? You do not need debilitating episodes to get over 10%. The terms used are excerbation, incapitating exacerbation, seriously incapacitating exacerbation.

Under the chronic residual criteria, each affected joint should be rated at no less than 10% per major joint.set of minor joints.

How many joints do you limited range of motion (regardless if damamge is showing up on X ray) from inflammatory arthritis be it rheumatoid arthrits or ankylosing spondylitis?

Mike

5002 Arthritis rheumatoid (atrophic) As an active process: With constitutional manifestations associated with active joint involvement, totally incapacitating 100 Less than criteria for 100% but with weight loss and anemia productive of severe impairment of health or severely incapacitating exacerbations occurring 4 or more times a year or a lesser number over prolonged periods 60%

Symptom combinations productive of definite impairment of health objectively supported by examination findings or incapacitating exacerbations occurring 3 or more times a year 40%

One or two exacerbations a year in a well-established diagnosis 20%

For chronic residuals: For residuals such as limitation of motion or ankylosis, favorable or unfavorable, rate under the appropriate diagnostic codes for the specific joints involved. Where, however, the limitation of motion of the specific joint or joints involved is noncompensable under the codes a rating of 10 percent is for application for each such major joint or group of minor joints affected by limitation of motion, to be combined, not added under diagnostic code 5002. Limitation of motion must be objectively confirmed by findings such as swelling, muscle spasm, or satisfactory evidence of painful motion. Note: The ratings for the active process will not be combined with the residual ratings for limitation of motion or ankylosis. Assign the higher evaluation.

I was rated for limited motion if in the left shoulder at 20% and for pain in the wrists since I don't have enough limitation in ROM in them. I also was rated for limited ROM in my spine at 10% since I also don't have enough limitation in it.

Here's the list of my conditions and ratings:
AS with strain/degenerative arthritis: 10% VA and DOD
Left Shoulder degenerative arthritis: 20%
Patellofemoral disease right knee: 20%
Patellofemoral disease left knee: 20%
Epicondylitis right elbow/Limited extension: 10%
Epicondylitis left elbow/Limited extension: 10%
RHeumatoid arthritis right wrist: 10%
Degen Disc Disease, Spine: 10%
Thrombosed Hemorroid: 10%
and a bunch of 0% for hips and other joints.
From looking at my poorly typed (apparently they don't have spell check) results They did rate me at 10% for the joints that were affected. I'm not sure how they grouped the wrist with the Rheumatoid arthritis unless they moved into the 5002 code from the sub paragraph in 5240. It's so confusing on how they actually throw the chicken bones to get the numbers.
So far I've been evaluated as having limited ROM in my shoulder, wrists and elbows, but it isn't enough to meet their tripwires, I think. I have been getting slightly better with the Humira and had a few degrees returned in my wrists.

At this point I'm getting ready to move to Mn to my new job with a 1 yr old, 2 dogs and an almost 2 month pregnant wife. I've checked out of my command mostly and am waiting on my orders. Still waiting on them, going on a month. Maybe this week...

It's been almost 4 weeks since I signed my results and I'm getting impatient. I called PERS and they are waiting on the index from the PEB. (After about 30 min and 4 phone transfers). He also said they usually get the index 6-8 weeks after it's signed and then PSD has 60 days to separate me. Needless to say I wasn't happy with what he told me. Then I call my PEBLO who says my something block has cleared (PEB is done with my paperwork) and she has no idea why PERS has no message. SHe's calling/emailing to find out what's happening. Called PSD- no message. It's getting frustrating when I can't go house hunting and get my move set up. It would be kind of nice not to live in a tent beside the stream in MN during the winter.

It's been almost 4 weeks since I signed my results and I'm getting impatient. I called PERS and they are waiting on the index from the PEB. (After about 30 min and 4 phone transfers). He also said they usually get the index 6-8 weeks after it's signed and then PSD has 60 days to separate me. Needless to say I wasn't happy with what he told me. Then I call my PEBLO who says my something block has cleared (PEB is done with my paperwork) and she has no idea why PERS has no message. SHe's calling/emailing to find out what's happening. Called PSD- no message. It's getting frustrating when I can't go house hunting and get my move set up. It would be kind of nice not to live in a tent beside the stream in MN during the winter.

I've been waiting since 20 July and I spoke to a YNC at PERS-81 and he said they haven't received my Official Findings from the PEB... I'm OCONUS (Hawaii) and plan to leave the island to go back to the mainland by 21 Aug so I understand your frustration with HHG and ship car etc. I don't understand why they shortened the max final out day from 90 to 60 days when the process of getting orders still takes 4-8 weeks! If they shorten the transition timeline for us they need to shorten the timeline for cutting orders too!

Talked to the PEBLO today and she told me that PERS has my paperwork and is number 594 and they're on 590, so maybe next week. At least they're moving. I think. So ready to be done with all this.

Talked to the PEBLO today and she told me that PERS has my paperwork and is number 594 and they're on 590, so maybe next week. At least they're moving. I think. So ready to be done with all this.

Your 60 days to separation starts when you signed your Official PEB findings for the Navy. Are they allowing you more time than what you requested on your Options of elections form since its taking so long for them to cut orders?

FUnny how there's a rule, but PERS thinks it doesn't apply, right? I don't think they're giving me any more time since the message should get to me by next week/week after and my 60 days runs out about the 9/10 of september. I'm pretty sure that "they" think I'm getting my message plenty early. I requested to be out Aug 31, but now I'm not sure I'll get that day. As long as I get the message next week I'll be good to house hunt/move on time.

Got the message today. Separation on the 31 of August. Trying to finish up getting leave approved so I can get out of here and head to my new home. Looking forward to finishing up all this paperwork.

Truck is your Wrist the only joint you have much issue with from your RA is was it just the only one they gave you a rating on? Also can you tell me anything as to what to expect from the ROM test, I will be doing it soon and I am scared they are going to hurt me. I am really flaring.

Truck. If your other joints issues are caused by the spondylitis, they need to be included in your overall spondylitis unfitting rating. You need to get your rheumatoligist to specifically answer this question. If due to the unfitting spondylitis, you need to file a NOD with the VA to get these joints covered under the spondylitis rating and then to the BCMR/BCNR to get you finding changed from disability separation to disability retirement. I just had a very similar situation happen toa Navy PO1. Long story short, he was initially found unfit for spondylitis at 20% but other affected joints rated under osteo/degenerative artritis. All the joint issues were casued by the spondylitis. Upon VA reconsideration, his unfitting rating went from 20% to 60%.

Mike

Sorry I've been off. Had some stuff to get done.
Moreno- They have you relax and move your joints around, feeling for smoothness of motion, catches and pain. You need to tell them when you get pain so they mark it correctly. I'm lucky? because my wrists stop about the pain area. It's not too bad. As far as the ratings go my wrists were the only thing rated under RA (which isn't the arthritis I have). My other joints do give me trouble, but the wrists are the primary problem lately.

Mike- Thanks for the advice. I'll get all that stuff together and see how it goes. Seems like this process never stops.

SIgned DD 214 today. Then had to go back so the supervisor could sign it. Amazing how hard it was to get my paperwork done. It's not like I'm the first person to get out of the navy. At least I got my pw to the VA today.