IDES Timeline

My C&P exams were done in March and then silence. Had to call for weeks before finding out the case was UNFIT and sent to ratings. Although I did receive the desired outcome, it's frustrating to not know where exactly in the process I'm at - until I researched this forum and got some answers. However, the difference in input about timelines from my MTF PEBLO(s), the VA, and folks on this board is troublesome and unfortunate. Given that the military has track/timelines for everything else, it's amazing that when a service member gets to a
Medical separation stage in their career, they're left in the dark.

Who did you call to get the UNFIT finding?

Who did you call to get the UNFIT finding?

@fred801 I was actually able to get this information from my PEBLO. Others have apparently called the PEB themselves (I wouldn't think this would be advisable) OR call the VA and ask them if they have received your package from the IDES PEB.

@fred801 I was actually able to get this information from my PEBLO. Others have apparently called the PEB themselves (I wouldn't think this would be advisable) OR call the VA and ask them if they have received your package from the IDES PEB.

She said she doesn't know if i'm fit or unfit. I did just call her and she informed me that my case has been with the "presiding officer" for 6 days. Not sure exactly what that means but that's where i'm at.

She said she doesn't know if i'm fit or unfit. I did just call her and she informed me that my case has been with the "presiding officer" for 6 days. Not sure exactly what that means but that's where i'm at.
@fred801 I'm not familiar with what a presiding officer is. I'm Navy, east coast, and can tell you this: The PEB is supposed to update whatever system they (the PEB), the VA and your PEBLO has access to. If the VA has received your claim and referred conditions, then that would mean the PEB found you unfit at some point in the recent past and is asking the VA for proposed ratings based on whichever condition they found you unfit for. There seems to be a confusion with some folks that the VA sends ratings FIRST which then results in a PEB finding you unfit. This is NOT the case - if you were fit, the VA would NOT rate your claim until around the time you leave service. But here's the caveat; if the VA hasn't received ratings, the PEB either 1.) Hasn't gotten to it yet or 2.) Found you fit. But if they found you fit I'm sure you'd know.

I was referred for three conditions and claimed roughly 10. I don't know which of the three was found by the PEB to be unfitting; it could be 1 or all 3. But typically the VA rates those plus all of your other claimed contentions and sends it back to the PEB. They then organize it and determine separation: severance, temporary retirement or permanent. I would call the VA at 1 800 827 1000 and let them know you're a part of IDES and just ask if they have received your referred conditions.

Update: Signing my findings tomorrow, but got the verbal over the phone. 40% dod 100% P&T VA. I forgot to ask if I was TDRL OR PDRL, but I will update tomorrow. But as far as I know I was found unfit for my back at 40%. Now the wait to get it sent back to the PEB to get the message sent out and find out when I'm getting out then orders. Hopefully this rolls by.

My VA rating took 30 days and then when it got back to the PEB, they took 3 days to get it back to the peblo.

@BoomYak Nice! I should be getting mine soon. Let us know what you find out tomorrow. Is 100% more than your 40% as far as monthly payment?

Woke up this morning to Ebenefits now showing a "Preparation for Decision."

After some digging I found out what the presiding officer is. I guess the board is made up of 3 officers, 1 navy, 1 marine and 1 medical officer. All are usually O6 but at least O5 and the presiding officer should be the same service as you. Judging by my C&P exams I expect to get 40 just for my back but we shall see.

@JoeNavy So his unfitting condition he was boarded for was 40%. His total rated percentage for all claimed is 100% He will get the max in disability each month which is around 3200. I've noticed most cases go to TDRL to give the VA a chance to see if the condition can be fixed. If they deem it permanent then he will get the PDRL which is what you look for. No way they can lower your ratings after that.

I'm glad to hear both your cases are doing well. That DD-214 is getting closer and closer.

Update: VA ratings complete! Don't know percentages yet. Day 28 after PEB ruled unfit. Now being sent back to PEB and should be signing findings here shortly - hopefully 2-4 weeks. Seen some turnarounds as quickly as a week.

@PEBMember2017 Good news. I've heard some people getting ratings from the VA but not sure that is standard practice. Knowing it's done must be somewhat of a relief.

@PEBMember2017 Good news. I've heard some people getting ratings from the VA but not sure that is standard practice. Knowing it's done must be somewhat of a relief.
If it's any consolation, youre probably next. East coast cases seems to be moving quickly for the Navy right now. VA (Providence) does indeed seem to be right around the 30 day mark and back to PEB and PEBLO are hovering around 2 weeks. Factor in PEBLO to PERS for sep orders and you're around 1-2 additional weeks and then add whatever leave you have or subtract if you're selling back and bam! - comfy DD214 blanket to snuggle with to keep you warm at night!

Hahaha that sounds good to me. I don't mind getting the paycheck to be honest. It will take a while to get used to not having that.

@JoeNavy some members here claim to have their Ebenefits claim go into Historical, which means it's likely been rated and sent back to PEB. My case has been rated but my Ebenefits shows as still Open, even though I did move from Preparation for Decision to Pending Decision Approval. Dates have shifted wildly from Jan 2018 back to September 2017. Good rule of thumb is to remember Ebenefits is pretty much on autopilot and can say and reflect anything. Keep in close contact with your PEBLO, sign up for Vets.gov, and definitely try the phone numbers posted throughout the forum for additional info.

Update: Signing my findings tomorrow, but got the verbal over the phone. 40% dod 100% P&T VA. I forgot to ask if I was TDRL OR PDRL, but I will update tomorrow. But as far as I know I was found unfit for my back at 40%. Now the wait to get it sent back to the PEB to get the message sent out and find out when I'm getting out then orders. Hopefully this rolls by.
@BookYak, How long have you been in this process? I have been waiting on PEB Findings since May 23, 2017. I know I have went through the complete MEB process (which was easy to track), but this PEB process is ridiculous. I completed the Informal PEB, VA Rating and just sitting stagnate waiting on my 199. Any feedback on how long it took you to get yours back would be greatly appreciated.

BoomYak said:
@BoomYak, How long have you been in this process? I have been waiting on PEB Findings since May 23, 2017. I know I have went through the complete MEB process (which was easy to track), but this PEB process is ridiculous. I completed the Informal PEB, VA Rating and just sitting stagnate waiting on my 199. Any feedback on how long it took you to get yours back would be greatly appreciated.

@pittmanlaw76 how long have you been waiting to sign? VA kicked my package back to PEB and this is my next step. I'm hoping to be out late August/September. I'm gonna work with PERS to sell leave and dial back to 30 days for discharge.

@pittmanlaw76 how long have you been waiting to sign? VA kicked my package back to PEB and this is my next step. I'm hoping to be out late August/September. I'm gonna work with PERS to sell leave and dial back to 30 days for discharge.
@PEBMember2017, I have been in the PEB Findings stage since 23 May. So, roughly 36 days now. I am in the Army and stationed in Hawaii, so I would assume west coast. I hope this helps.