If you are DOD TDRL/PDRL retired with less than 20 years of service please read.

Wow, I wrote this off as never gonna happen. What bill is this part of? NDAA?
Yeap the NDAA you know it was taken seriously any time they do these "phase in" type benefits that drag out over a decade I was just stunned the Senate passed it first and not the house. The big problem is when the bills don't match it goes to the conference and that's when a lot stipping can happen crossing finger is survives.

So what is Monday? The HOR vote on NDAA? And then the conference?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but looks like the HOR passed their version in May. The Senate passed theirs this past week. So the conference to join the two is the next step.

Did the HOR version have the ch61 stuff in it?

So what is Monday? The HOR vote on NDAA? And then the conference?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but looks like the HOR passed their version in May. The Senate passed theirs this past week. So the conference to join the two is the next step.

Did the HOR version have the ch61 stuff in it?

It actually goes back to the HOR Monday if they don't concur with all the Senate changes it goes to conference to hammer out all the amendments. Since its had a lot of support in HOR committees over the years (HR 333 currently) I'm thinking conference would be the biggest obstacle to get across. The Senate has porked this bill a lot so ahhhhh its iffy lol. I'm just glad someone was able to hammer it through at least one house.

So what if I'm 50 from both sides VA and DOD but I retired with 20 plus years of service? Do I wait til 2023 to get both of them at full receipt

I'm seeing that there is some confusion on whether this was actually included in the bill or not.

Hope I'm wrong here but I can't find it referenced in any of the text published from the Senate.

This pretty much sums up everything I can find

Screen Shot 2018-06-23 at 7.41.01 PM.png

Last edited:
I wish everyone in their endeavors with the DOD and the VA

So if I was to take the 80%/90% offer that I got at the PEB, I'd start getting concurrent receipt next October, but my actual DOD retirement would drop?

So if I was to take the 80%/90% offer that I got at the PEB, I'd start getting concurrent receipt next October, but my actual DOD retirement would drop?

No 90% is October 2019 there is no reduction in retired pay if you are a chapter 61 with less than 20 years and not a TERA retiree.

Guys im seeing the amendment in the act I can't fathom senators lying about it unless they know it would be stripped at the house or conference.

Yeah, next October, meaning October 19.

My retired pay would be 75% with the 80% DOD disability offer. I'm reading that it would be dropped to 45% (19 yr E-8).

No 90% is October 2019 there is no reduction in retired pay if you are a chapter 61 with less than 20 years and not a TERA retiree.

Guys im seeing the amendment in the act I can't fathom senators lying about it unless they know it would be stripped at the house or conference.
I wonder what will happen in my case. Chapter 61 40%, VA C&P 100% P&T, 20Y letter, non-regular retirement, eligible for early age drop in two years.

Doesn't look like it's gonna happen, but it'd be nice to have the extra money if I'm going to end up paying close to $1,000 a year to keep Tricare Select.

Ok, after after combing through everything here is what I think has happened (keep in mind I'm just a layman in these matters):

The original 2 amendments from Heller (2394 & 2395) got rolled into 2282. 2282 passed as the senate's proposed changes to the houses' original 5515 that the house approved previously. Since 2282 got sent over for conference the issue is technically still in play.

However in reading the actual written text of 2282 our stuff isn't in there. Perhaps a revised version will come out Monday but the only reference I can find is 2394 & 2395 simply appearing in the mosh pit of 494 total amendments to 2282.

I'd guess the general confusion (even from congressional offices), tone of the MOAA, plus their relative silence on the issue probably points to this getting taken out of the final bill.

Hopefully we get lucky but I'm not holding my breath for it this year.

ETA: odd pedestrian explained it all correctly, I just couldn't wrap my head around it at first till I ran it all to ground. Nothing showing up in the full text of the proposed changes was throwing me off. Best I can tell it's on the summary page but as just a number with no further info.

Last edited:
I called Heller's office this morning to leave a polite message in support of 2394 & 2395 in the conference. The guy answering the phone wrote it all down but I got the impression he had no idea what I was talking about.

So I will wait till age 60

Re: "So what if I'm 50 from both sides VA and DOD but I retired with 20 plus years of service? Do I wait til 2023 to get both of them at full receipt "

If you qualify for a reserve/NG retirement at age 60 (with possible reduction due to mobilization), then your remark is accurate at the time of this post.

The assumption is that you are a CH 61 retiree with 20 good years in the reserves.

Ron

Added and from another post: "The guy answering the phone wrote it all down but I got the impression he had no idea what I was talking about. " Comment: That is indicative of nothing except possible ignorance of the bill in question on the part of the person in Heller's office .

I called my representative's offices and left a concise polite message in support of Senator Heller's veteran's concurrent receipt amendments 2394 & 2395 embedded in Senate amendment 2282 to HR 5515 (NDAA 2019).

I also send a note to MOAA explaining, according to the congress.gov website, Sen Heller's CRDP amendments 2394 & 2395 appear for now to possibly be in the Senate version going into the conference but it's not 100% clear. I asked the MOAA to investigate further and advocate for us if circumstances are appropriate. They actually wrote back (surprised me) and said they were handing it off to the right people to take a look at it.

Contacting our reps can't hurt just be sure to be polite & concise in your support for the legislation.

I'm already receiving my retirement waiting on CRSC claim approval