If you are DOD TDRL/PDRL retired with less than 20 years of service please read.

Anybody ever have post’s- threads moved this website? Guess I did- see below:

PEBForum Thread: Forums PEB and Disability Evaluation System Overview Physical Evaluation Board System Overview News FeedsIf you are DOD TDRL/PDRL retired with less than 20 years of service please read.” Thread starteroddpedestrian Start dateApr 20, 2018 was post’s #79-……

Moved From Above To here:

Forums PEB and Disability Evaluation System Overview Physical Evaluation Board System Overview News FeedsQuestion about Title V provision in NDAA 2019” humph…?????

Who am I- a mere peon- to simply question this….. ???????

PS: Might want to consider, for example only/thought-

The Best States for VeteransDerek Miller, CEPF® AUG 10, 2018 For example only at web-address: https://smartasset.com/mortgage/the-best-states-for-veterans accessed on 20 AUG 2018 appx. 0904 AM EDT below in [italics] copied-cited from above referenced web article: (last looked long ago multiple sources Alabama, etc...was middles pack- i.e. in 20's of 50-US States....)

[“1. Alaska The Last Frontier is the best state for veterans, according to our data. There are nine military bases in Alaska, which is one reason for the large number of veterans in the state. Alaska veterans are also doing well economically speaking. Veterans there have a median income of $36,831 after housing costs. Plus, only 4.3% of veterans are unemployed in Alaska, which is 2% better than the state’s unemployment rate for non-veterans.
2. South Dakota Not only is South Dakota a great state for homeowners, it’s also the second best state for veterans. South Dakota does a good job at supporting its veterans. It has the highest rate of veterans enrolled in the Veterans Health Administration in the country (almost 70%), as well as the second-most veteran facilities per 10,000 vets.
3. Wyoming Wyoming claims the third spot in our ranking of the best places for veterans. Like South Dakota, Wyoming offers veterans one of the strongest support networks in the country. Wyoming has 4.23 VA facilities per 10,000 vets (the most in the country) and the sixth-highest percentage of veterans enrolled in the VHA (58.7%).
4. Nebraska Of all the states in the country, Nebraska has the lowest unemployment rate for veterans. According to our data, Nebraska veterans have an enviable 1.9% unemployment rate. This is in stark constrast to the state’s unemployment rate for non-veterans, which is 7.9%. The Cornhusker State also has one of the lowest rates of veteran poverty in the nation at 4.5%.
5. North Dakota North Dakota has the lowest percentage of veterans in our top 10. Only 8.2% of the state’s population are vets. But veterans there are doing quite well financially. North Dakota vets take home a median annual income of $45,810. After taking out housing costs, those veterans are left with $36,543 on average – the third highest income in the country.
6. Maine One statistic that Maine can be proud of is that 10.5% of all private businesses in the state are owned by veterans. Maine also boasts a high percentage of veterans enrolled in the VHA (53.6%). However, other metrics indicate areas for improvement. Close to 5% of veterans in the Pine Tree State are unemployed and around 7% fall under the poverty line.
7. Montana Veterans in Montana may find a built-in support system. More than 10% of the population are veterans. These veterans also receive a fair amount of support compared to other states. Almost 60% are enrolled in the VHA and there are 2.83 veterans facilities for every 10,000 vets.
8. South Carolina (tie) South Carolina has a strong veteran presence in both the general population as well as the business sector. Veterans account for 9.9% of the population and own 10.5% of private businesses. Another plus is the relatively low cost of living in South Carolina, which leaves veterans with $27,720 on average to spend after paying for housing.
8. Virginia (tie) Virginia, home to the Department of Defense, tied with South Carolina as the highest-rated Southern states in our study. Our research indicates that only 4.7% of veterans in Virginia are living below the poverty line. And veterans there have the second-highest median income after housing costs in the country (after Alaska). Virginia veterans have almost $37,000 on average left over after paying for housing.
10. Alabama Alabama cracks our top 10 because it has the highest veteran business ownership rate in the country. More than 11.2% of businesses in the Yellowhammer State are veteran-owned. The state’s veterans also have a relatively high income after housing – $29,025 on average.”]

Might want to See PEBForum Thread’s: Forums Transition Forum: Veterans Affairs and SSDI Veterans Affairs, SSDI, and other Benefits VA News Feeds Veterans TEE' up for 25th anniversary golf tournament sponsored by VA & DAV” and Forums Resources and Files Department of Defense RegulationsExpress Scripts Issue's Fexofinidene (allegria) -All Vet's Retirees Out There-Question?????among other’s for a “self-assessment” if so desire- IMO……. Below (++++)from last stated PEBForum Thread “Express Scripts Issues’s……”????

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
ALL- thought I would update here, from PEBForum Thread- Forums Transition Forum: Veterans Affairs and SSDI Veterans Affairs, SSDI, and other Benefits VA News Feeds Veterans TEE' up for 25th anniversary golf tournament sponsored by VA & DAV as left out a major “rehabilitative-activity” that is also “available” in Alabama- “Rock-Climbing” see below web-links for example only:

Little River Canyon National PreserveFrom Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, for example only, at web-address: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_River_Canyon_National_Preserveaccessed on 20 AUG 2018 appx. 0435 AM EDT

Little River Canyon Centerfrom web-address (example only): https://duckduckgo.com/?q=little+river+canyon+alabama&t=ffnt&atb=v56-2&ia=web&ulexp=&iaxm=places accessed on 20 AUG 2018 appx. 0437 AM EDT

Home > Climber's Discussion Forum > Topic- Little River Canyon – Alabamafrom “supertopo.com” for example only at web-address: http://www.supertopo.com/climbers-forum/743480/Little-River-Canyon-Alabama accessed on 20 AUG 2018 appx. 0439 AM EDT

It is odd thatVeterans-Organizations” such as Wounded Warrior Project (WWP), SHARE In Atlanta, Georgia, etc.……offer a lot of these opportunities but the US Dept. Veterans Affairs (US DVA) with “Reactional Therapists” – “Occupational Therapist’son staff and “salaried” cannot, in and of themselves offer such opportunities to “veterans” of all conflicts particularly in the “activity rich” environment of the Gulf Coast Region of the United States of America (USA)….. humph se below web-links as example only:

Wounded Warrior Project Veteran Hosts Public Yoga Event in Chicago on June 30News provided by Wounded Warrior Project Jun 22, 2018, 08:45 ET- for example only at web-address: https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...ga-event-in-chicago-on-june-30-300670497.html accessed on 201 AUG 2018 appx. 0447 AM EDT

Wounded Warrior Project Printable Coupons 2012 Now Live” November 3, 2012 By Michelle for example only at web-address: https://www.iheartpublix.com/tag/wounded-warrior-project-printable-coupons/ accessed on 201 AUG 2018 appx. 0449 AM EDT

(PS- Odd Publix’s Teamed WWP but “local” VET had complained, supposedly, numerous times “staff” getting right on their back- which “most” people do not like but in particular “Combat VET’s” – something would think WWP would have “educated at least Publix’s on….????)

Furthermore, it is odd per date some web-articles below- for example only- that the National Football League (NFL), etc.… has been utilizing Yoga and other things to “enhance” player performance since 2012- and perhaps earlier, YET US DVA is in fact not “really”- IMO- pursuing at least in Gulf Coast VA System-VISN16…. humph……. Furthermore, apparently, given number listed “Yoga Studios” in say, Fairhope AL alone, per list via web-link in above post, I guess, perhaps, “prominent” civilians, whom can afford it have as well….??????

Football and Yoga – Why More and More NFL Players Are Turning to Yoga – Part 2” Posted by admin in Mental Training/Preparation, Training, Videos on May 3, 2012 10:07 pm / 7 comments at web-address (example only): http://www.get2theleague.com/footba...-more-nfl-players-are-turning-to-yoga-part-2/ accessed on 20 AUG 2018 Appx. 0441 AM EDT

Players Turning to Yoga as a Way to Stay in ShapeBy The Associated Press Aug. 29, 2015 from “newYorkTimes.com” for example only at web-address: https://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/30/...urning-to-yoga-as-a-way-to-stay-in-shape.html accessed on 20 AUG 2018 appx. 0443 AM EDT

However, if- as have stated- one is interested in “becoming” one of 50K (+/-) veterans in the 1st Congressional District of Alabama would “recommend” checking out City, County, State Ordinances and regulations, that say require- PET” licensing, etc…. before “taking” the leap…..maybe…. (See web-links below as example only):

MC-Fairhope, AL.com- Fairhope, Alabama - Code of Ordinances Chapter 15 - PARKS AND RECREATION ARTICLE I. - IN GENERAL Sec. 15-4. - Fairhopers Community Park sa” for example only at web-address: https://library.municode.com/al/fai...nodeId=COOR_CH15PARE_ARTIINGE_S15-4FACOPASARU accessed on 20 AUG 2018 appx. 0429 AM EDT

MC-Fairhope, AL.com- Fairhope, Alabama - Code of Ordinances Chapter 8 - BUSINESS LICENSE CODE, TAXES REGULATION ARTICLE I. - BUSINESS LICENSES, TAXES AND REGULATIONS Sec. 8-22. - License classifications. “for example only at web-address: https://library.municode.com/al/fai...eId=COOR_CH8BULICOTARE_ARTIBULITARE_S8-22LICL accessed on 20 AUG 2018 appx. 0432 AM EDT below “italic”copied from above cited “website-address” :

“453998 Miscellaneous retailers - florist, gift, novelty, pet, art, tobacco, used mdse. B”

WELL_ ALL- hope this gives at least oneVETand or family, pause for consideration-thought, and/or assist’s them……other,VET’shopefully will “chime-in” ……??????

PS: Might want to see- for thought only- the below listed resources:

Devil's Guard From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for example only at web-address: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil's_Guard accessed on 20 AUG 2018 appx. 0455 AM EDT

DEVILS GUARDby George R. Elford 19 Reviews at “Barnes & Bobles.com” for example only at web-address: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/devils-guard-george-robert-elford/1100171648

Recall to Inferno: Devil's Guard Twoby George Robert Elford at “Barnes & Bobles.com” for example only at web-address: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/recall-to-inferno-george-robert-elford/1122502345?ean=9780440201991

ANYONE ELSE HAVING ISSUES THIS WEBSITE, ETC……..?????

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thanks All-.......................

ANYONE ELSE HAVING ISSUES THIS WEBSITE, ETC……..?????

I ask this on another tread on here this morning and maybe someone here can help also. I was giving 20% and unfit for duty by DOD and then VA gave me 40%. 11 years later after many fights VA increased me to 90% this year. I received form 294 from PDBRI to complete to see if they should have giving a rating of 30% and medical retirement. Is it worth it to do and what are the pro vs. cons when it come to pay if anyone knows?

They also state that if it goes through I have to replay severance pay. How is it they can hold back money from the severance pay allowance, when it was suppose to be paid back before you could start receiving your full VA compensation? It’s that repaying twice? Thank you!

I ask this on another tread on here this morning and maybe someone here can help also. I was giving 20% and unfit for duty by DOD and then VA gave me 40%. 11 years later after many fights VA increased me to 90% this year. I received form 294 from PDBRI to complete to see if they should have giving a rating of 30% and medical retirement. Is it worth it to do and what are the pro vs. cons when it come to pay if anyone knows?

They also state that if it goes through I have to replay severance pay. How is it they can hold back money from the severance pay allowance, when it was suppose to be paid back before you could start receiving your full VA compensation? It’s that repaying twice? Thank you!
It will be a wash in the end. You will not end up paying back twice.

A wash as in its not worth it?
I was referencing his comment on separation pay. When a member gets severance pay and later is retired, DoD wants the severance pay back. If the member got VA benefits, the VA got the severance pay. When the retirement happens DoD wants the severance pay back; VA got it and it is returned. There is $0 due to or from the member regarding severance pay.

I was referencing his comment on separation pay. When a member gets severance pay and later is retired, DoD wants the severance pay back. If the member got VA benefits, the VA got the severance pay. When the retirement happens DoD wants the severance pay back; VA got it and it is returned. There is $0 due to or from the member regarding severance pay.
Oh ok thanks I wasn’t sure because I didn’t want to be hit again when I file the paperwork. Thanks a lot for the reply!

My personal opinion is it is worth it to submit the package and get your discharge changed to a retirement. It will be a very long process but in the end it may be worth it depending on your situation. If you are getting VA at 90% as you stated then it will not change anything money-wise because since you served less than 20 (like me), you will not get to receive any retired pay, only VA. However, you will get a retired ID which will give you base access, BX, Commissary, Gas station, etc.... So if you are near a base and would like those benefits then it is worth it. You will also be eligible for Tricare. they have a "free" option (Tricare Select) that does not incur a monthly fee. So in my case I am keeping my medical coverage through work for now, but will use Tricare as a secondary insurance. (My kid has a lot of medical issues and I need to see what all Tricare covers before I switch for real). But as a secondary, Tricare will pay my copays and out of pocket residual medical bills that I normally pay after my insurance covers their portion. So for me, it does benefit me financially from that standpoint.

Right now there is a push to get bill H.R. 333 through Congress it would give Chapter 61 Retirees, that's most of us with a 30% rating from the DOD, with less than 20 years of service concurrent receipt. That is we would get our VA Compensation pay AND our TDRL/PDRL retirement pay. As of now most of us only get the VA portion as it almost always is higher than what the DOD pays, this is called an offset and if for some reason your VA pay ends up being lower than the DOD portion, the DOD pay would kick in making up the difference.

For example, let's say you get VA comp at 80% which is about 1800 a month and your DOD is 50% at 1400 you would only receive one deposit from the VA at 1800 dollars. Now let's say if your VA Comp was 60% at 1200 dollars and your DOD was still 50% then you would receive two deposits one from the VA at 1200 and then one from DFAS for 200 bringing to a total of 1400 because your DOD percentage pay ended up being higher....following? This bill if passed would allow you to collect both the 1800 and 1400 or the 1200 and 1400 see how much money is up in the air? That's 168,000 in retired pay for just ten years!!!

During my time lurking the group, I saw WAY too many people accept an unacceptable reduction in DOD percentages, especially when going from TDRL to PDRL some even opting to take severance. These were and are huge mistakes in my opinion just because you don't want to "fight" anymore or you just want to be finally "done" with the Navy, Army, Air Force is never an excuse to make poor elections that could cost you hundreds of thousands of dollars in pay. Even you forum members going through this the first time make sure that your DOD percentage is accurate especially if you are getting PDRL from the jump. I provided two links below so you can follow the bill and read up on it some more.

Disabled Veterans Tax Termination Act (2017 - H.R. 333)

http://cqrcengage.com/amra/ConcurrentReceiptPlusChap61?0
This has always been my issues, some how while trying to release from Infantry my P3 profile flagged me, and I started IDES back in 2011, then medically retired at 80% with 19.3 years. At the time I had no clue that in order to collect any retirement I had to pass 20, the. I discovered CRSC, thought it would be a lock since as an infantrymen all
my injuries met the criteria, instead 0% IBS LOL, this month I finally somehow got 80% CRSC, so I am pretty happy with recouping some of my retirement. For the last 6 years I have often wondered how I only get disability from the VA for my years of service, no retirement I earned, disability to me covers what a guy like me on the open market could earn walking into a job, my skill set and being 37 and retired should have over a few years making six figures, instead I’m all messed up and make like 40k, now with my full retirement plus VA that seems fair but of course it will never happen, and even then I feel if whole i could earn way more than the 100% the VA gives me,

[Selected text from 2018]
My personal opinion is it is worth it to submit the package and get your discharge changed to a retirement. It will be a very long process but in the end it may be worth it depending on your situation. If you are getting VA at 90% as you stated then it will not change anything money-wise because since you served less than 20 (like me), you will not get to receive any retired pay, only VA.

The underlined statement is not always the case. Often, there is residual retired pay that the retiree keeps.

Example :
DoD Retired Pay: $3600
VA offset: $3000
Residual Retired Pay: $600

On the other hand, any CRSC approved for the retiree would be reduced by the amount of residual retired pay. Not all retirees are eligible for CRSC.

Ron

so, what you're saying is [so i get this right]

my husband has been in nine years
say he gets a 20% DOD which would be 690.80/month
and he gets a 80% VA which would be 1481.48/month

again, only nine years in the service. he would receive a severance and ONLY the 1481.48 a month?

i wonder why we were told differently? if those were the ratings he got, we were told he would get [with those ratings] 2,172.28 a month in total.

but you're saying he would only get the 1481, correct?

[his referring condition is migraines, his VA list is a laundry list of other things, including sleep apnea with a machine]
A service member must have a minimum service 30 % Disability Rating to qualify for disability retirement with less than 20 years of active duty service. If eliminated for disability with a 20% service rating, the service member receives severance pay based on years of service not disability retirement pay for life. He and family have no access to retiree benefits such as PX and health insurance under TRICARE.

A service member must have a minimum service 30 % Disability Rating to qualify for disability retirement with less than 20 years of active duty service. If eliminated for disability with a 20% service rating, the service member receives severance pay based on years of service not disability retirement pay for life. He and family have no access to retiree benefits such as PX and health insurance under TRICARE.
Edited to add: Concerned Wife's post was presented almost one year ago. Several accurate answers preceded mine. I just noticed the age of the post.
-----------
Additionally...

IF there was a medical retirement at 20% (there is not) and the circumstances were as posted above:
--my husband has been in nine years
--say he gets a 20% DOD which would be 690.80/month
--and he gets a 80% VA which would be 1481.48/month

The following would result:
1. Retired pay is reduced by amount of VA compensation: 690.80 minus 1481.48 = zero retired pay received
2. He would receive 1481.48 VA compensation

Again, the minimum level for receipt of DoD disability retired pay is 30%. The same concept would apply to ratings 30%-100%; disability retired pay is reduced by amount of VA compensation. Eligibility for CRDP is not a factor in these examples. https://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/disability/crdp.html <---CRDP LINK

Ron

Interesting the way they do it, i can see how this is misleading as i wasnt sure myself how that would work. Thanks for the info!

Interesting the way they do it, i can see how this is misleading as i wasnt sure myself how that would work. Thanks for the info!
The basis is a law from circa 1891. Yes, 19th Century.

The law has been modified occasionally, but remains the root.

"In 1891, Congress first prohibited payment of both military retired pay and a disability pension under the premise that it represented dual or overlapping compensation for the same purpose. The original law was modified in 1941, and the present system of VA disability compensation offsetting military retired pay was adopted in 1944. Under this system, retired military personnel were required to waive a portion of their retired pay equal to the amount of VA disability compensation, a dollar-for-dollar offset."

CRDP and CRSC were implemented around 2003-2004.

Ron

Additional insight:

02/01/2019Referred to the Subcommittee on Disability Assistance and Memorial Affairs.
Action By: Committee on Veterans' Affairs
01/24/2019Referred to the Subcommittee on Military Personnel.
Action By: Committee on Armed Services
01/08/2019Referred to the Committee on Armed Services, and in addition to the Committee on Veterans' Affairs, for a period to be subsequently determined by the Speaker, in each case for consideration of such provisions as fall within the jurisdiction of the committee concerned.
Action By: House of Representatives
01/08/2019Referred to the Committee on Armed Services, and in addition to the Committee on Veterans' Affairs, for a period to be subsequently determined by the Speaker, in each case for consideration of such provisions as fall within the jurisdiction of the committee concerned.
01/08/2019Introduced in House

Right now there is a push to get bill H.R. 333 through Congress it would give Chapter 61 Retirees, that's most of us with a 30% rating from the DOD, with less than 20 years of service concurrent receipt. That is we would get our VA Compensation pay AND our TDRL/PDRL retirement pay. As of now most of us only get the VA portion as it almost always is higher than what the DOD pays, this is called an offset and if for some reason your VA pay ends up being lower than the DOD portion, the DOD pay would kick in making up the difference.

For example, let's say you get VA comp at 80% which is about 1800 a month and your DOD is 50% at 1400 you would only receive one deposit from the VA at 1800 dollars. Now let's say if your VA Comp was 60% at 1200 dollars and your DOD was still 50% then you would receive two deposits one from the VA at 1200 and then one from DFAS for 200 bringing to a total of 1400 because your DOD percentage pay ended up being higher....following? This bill if passed would allow you to collect both the 1800 and 1400 or the 1200 and 1400 see how much money is up in the air? That's 168,000 in retired pay for just ten years!!!

During my time lurking the group, I saw WAY too many people accept an unacceptable reduction in DOD percentages, especially when going from TDRL to PDRL some even opting to take severance. These were and are huge mistakes in my opinion just because you don't want to "fight" anymore or you just want to be finally "done" with the Navy, Army, Air Force is never an excuse to make poor elections that could cost you hundreds of thousands of dollars in pay. Even you forum members going through this the first time make sure that your DOD percentage is accurate especially if you are getting PDRL from the jump. I provided two links below so you can follow the bill and read up on it some more.

Disabled Veterans Tax Termination Act (2017 - H.R. 333)

http://cqrcengage.com/amra/ConcurrentReceiptPlusChap61?0
I’m need some advise here please. I’m 70% TDRL and 100% VA. I went to my appointment for TDRL for PTSD review. And I got a call saying DOD will reduce me to a 50%. What I don’t understand is that when I was at my visit I happen to bring my recent PTSD review (still 70% after review). On that visit the Psychologist used the same report from the VA saying since it’s recently done she can use it. I let her use it hoping there will be no change. Now I got this call saying my PTSD is reduced to 50%. I want to appeal it. Any chance to get back my 70% ?? Why if they using the same progress notes their rating is different from the VA??

Wow, this would be a dream come true!

Seriously, almost every single night I dream that I’m still in the military, very sick, and trying hard to make it to 20 years.

@Camadk3

I would appeal use the services of NVLSP and get in contact with your PEBLO and MEB attorney as quickly as possible the PEB deadlines are very tight. If you haven't received a copy of the TDRL examiners exam I would get that ASAP as well to see that it actually does support the 70% rating.

Sometimes the C&P exam DBQ from the VA is conflicting and the rater just assigns the higher rating when it falls in between two. So look at question 4 on the exam Social and Occupational Impairment and then the symptoms they should correspond but many times they don't and one or the other agency will choose the lower of the two ratings. If you could post just those two answers I could make a more solid guess.

I’m need some advise here please. I’m 70% TDRL and 100% VA. I went to my appointment for TDRL for PTSD review. And I got a call saying DOD will reduce me to a 50%. What I don’t understand is that when I was at my visit I happen to bring my recent PTSD review (still 70% after review). On that visit the Psychologist used the same report from the VA saying since it’s recently done she can use it. I let her use it hoping there will be no change. Now I got this call saying my PTSD is reduced to 50%. I want to appeal it. Any chance to get back my 70% ?? Why if they using the same progress notes their rating is different from the VA??

I just read recently that the DOD uses it's own rating authorities at the re-evaluation point in the TDRL process, not the VA's. I have no idea how this can be and wish someone could shed light on the issue. I am not sure if they are still using the VASRD criteria or what they are doing (even though I have read it's the law for both Rating Authorities, I'm not sure why they wouldn't just forward the case on to the VA, and adopt the ratings from the VA once it's kicked back like they do at the beginning of the TDRL process). They are coming back with their own ratings lately for whatever spectacular reason and it's both confusing and alarming. I am not sure if it has anything to do with the TDRL evaluators inaccurate accounting of the medical evidence, lack of knowledge, the fact that no one uses a DBQ when we all know that they should, or if the RA's on the DOD/PEB side have their own criteria, but I would really, really like to know. Anyone?

Also, the idea that not a single TDRL evaluator from any branch knows anything about filling out a DBQ (which is one of, if not *the,* primary document the VA uses to accurately rate disabilities) is just beyond my level of comprehension. It boggles the mind. I understand the TDRL re-evaluators are not *treating* the veteran, however, they *are* evaluating, accessing, and gathering your medical evidence.

My advice would be to go into the TDRL Re-Eval and subsequent appeals armed with as much medical information about your disabilities as possible. Have doctors create medical opinions, get a vocational opinion if TDIU or 100 P&T is at stake, and use the legal language/vernaculor that most closely resembles that of the VA's with the symptoms/problems you are experiencing. Have them complete DBQ's. Study the VASRD, the DBQ, your disabilities and know your symptoms, and directly align the two. Take control of your life and the process.

It really is something to see on this forum just how many people are lost and left in the dark about this whole process.