IMR Question

Jtwrench

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Does anyone know if you can do an IMR on one specific C&P Exam or is it for all conditions? I agree with 37 out of the 38 conditions, but my PTSD one was downplayed a lot.

Does anyone know if you can do an IMR on one specific C&P Exam or is it for all conditions? I agree with 37 out of the 38 conditions, but my PTSD one was downplayed a lot.
From an U.S. Army perspective, the Soldier has two opportunities for review of the MEB findings, each with an unique and specific purpose.

First, a Soldier may request an Impartial Medical Review (IMR). An IMR is an independent clinical review of the MEB case file to ensure that the MEB findings adequately reflect the complete spectrum of the Soldier’s injuries and illnesses. An IMR is conducted by a credentialed provider (appointed by the MEB Convening Authority) not otherwise involved in the Soldier’s MEB case. Ideally the Medical Treatment Provider most familiar with the Soldier’s medical history. The MTF-based IMR provider reviews the final MEB packet to make sure all diagnoses and notes have been accurately recorded on the NARSUM and the DA Form 3947.

Second, the Soldier has one opportunity to submit a written rebuttal of the MEB findings to the MEB Convening Authority. This written rebuttal is also referred to as an MEB Appeal. The MEB Approval Authority may uphold the original findings of the MEB, amend the findings with a written addendum to the MEB, or return the MEB for reconsideration.

To any extent, Soldiers may always consult with a SMEBC, or private legal counsel at their own expense, when evaluating their options to concur as written, request an IMR, and/or submit a written rebuttal. It's important to note that under the new DTM-18-004 (July 30, 2018) within the MEB phase of the MEB rebuttal and/or impartial medical review IDES stage, it states to "Complete these Service member initiated actions in no more than 7 days from the date the PEBLO receives the Service member’s request." Hope this helps. Take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

In the PEB process, an IMR has to do with the NARSUM. If you are unsatisfied with the MH C&P exam, you can ask for a VARR, when the results come back.