Informed of MEB today

Zhint812

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello,

I have 15 years of service, 10 1/2 active. I have a current VA rating of 80%. I had a fit for duty appointment today in which I was told that I was being put on a permanent profile and recommended for MEB. I am so confused about what is happening, what is happening next, and if there is anything I need to be worried about. Is there a chance that I lose my retirement completely?

@Zhint812
BLUF, yes your continued service is in question.

You have been notified of a standard course of entering the MEB, in general your doctors will evaluate the conditions that are preventing your full health (the USAF calls this I-RILO I do not know if the other services have a name for the beginning of this process). If the doctors feel you are unable to deploy or possibly not able to reenlist, then an MEB will begin.

The MEB is the official decision of retain/not fit for duty. If you are found fit and retainable then the MEB decision will be to return to service. If not then you enter IDES and begin the ratings and disability determination phases with appeals possible at every different stage.

IN VERY GENERAL:
MEB- (local fitness determination) if found fit, stop here and return to service, if unfit continue to IDES

IDES-
Commander Impact statements, conditions found unfitting are identified and processed by DoD, all disabilities are considered by VA for examination
VA C&P exams to determine service connections and proposed ratings
DoD applies VA ratings and calculates DoD disibility
DOD Disibilty determines seperation/retirement possibilities
VA applies all proposed ratings found service connected to determine VA ratings for compensation and treatment

Preperation for separation:
From this point on is end game. You are notified on how you will be seperated, what you finanacial and medical benefits will be and your date of seperation.

At all major points, you will be asked to concur/non-concur and appeal the findings of each stage.

I am leaving out alot of details, because at each stage you can change the path of the MEB/IDES depending on what you want to accomplish.

If you are officially entered into the MEB you will be given a PEBLO and they will help you through the process and get you in contact with all the people needed to continue through each stage.

What branch of service are you in will determine who can help you this site with the details and specifics and how to proceed and protect your desired outcomes. You can possibly still continue service until full retirement, if you desire that and are medically capable. You just need a little guidance and help towards that goal.

What branch of service are you in will determine who can help you this site with the details and specifics and how to proceed and protect your desired outcomes. You can possibly still continue service until full retirement if you desire that and are medically capable. You just need a little guidance and help towards that goal.

Thank you for that information. I am super overwhelmed right now. I am in the Army Reserves and served on active duty for the Army for 10 1/2 years. I am almost certain that I will be found unfit for duty because I have both physical and mental conditions that keep me from deploying. I am mostly worried about the fact that I might be throwing away 15 years of service with nothing to show for it but a disability check (which I already receive). If I am medically retired does that mean that I will still receive my retirement at age 60, or does this change that? I really do appreciate your help. I have been in the Army Reserves for 5 years and still don't understand even the simplest things about how the reserves operate.

The MEB can return you to duty or refer you to the PEB. Only the PEB can determine you are unfit. Depending on the severity of your unfitting conditions you could be given severance or retired.

If you can provide a short summary of your medical conditions, we can provide you better information.

I currently have a 50% rating for PTSD. 50% rating for Sleep Apnea and I believe 10% for arthritis in my knees and 10% for tinnitus. There are several other service connections with a 0% rating. I am unable to run or do pushups due to arthritis (now in my ankles and wrist as well). I struggle with memory, concentration from the PTSD/TBI. Add in severe depression and it makes drilling rather difficult. along with pretty much everything else in life.

The good news is that you hit the 15 year mark for Reserves. I am assuming you have 15 good years. If you are medically retired then you get your retirement right away. If not you can get a 15 year letter instead of a 20 year letter for your Reserve Retirement. You can only get this if discharged medically. If offered a severance because you are 20% or less for DOD% you may want to decline. Then you can get monthly VA compensation and when you hit age 60 you will still get your Reserve Retirement.

The good news is that you hit the 15-year mark for Reserves. I am assuming you have 15 good years. If you are medically retired then you get your retirement right away. If not you can get a 15-year letter instead of a 20 year letter for your Reserve Retirement. You can only get this if discharged medically. If offered a severance because you are 20% or less for DOD% you may want to decline. Then you can get monthly VA compensation and when you hit age 60 you will still get your Reserve Retirement.

I already get 80% VA compensation monthly. Would what you are talking about be a separate compensation. I think that I have 15 good years, but I may have not had 1 good year in there. So if I was at 14 what would that change?

The MEB can return you to duty or refer you to the PEB. Only the PEB can determine you are unfit. Depending on the severity of your unfitting conditions you could be given severance or retired.

If you can provide a short summary of your medical conditions, we can provide you better information.

I currently have a 50% rating for PTSD. 50% rating for Sleep Apnea and I believe 10% for arthritis in my knees and 10% for tinnitus. There are several other service connections with a 0% rating. I am unable to run or do pushups due to arthritis (now in my ankles and wrist as well). I struggle with memory, concentration from the PTSD/TBI. Add in severe depression and it makes drilling rather difficult. along with pretty much everything else in life.

I already get 80% VA compensation monthly. Would what you are talking about be a separate compensation. I think that I have 15 good years, but I may have not had 1 good year in there. So if I was at 14 what would that change?
I believe you need 15 good years for non regular retirement. 14 good years won't do you any good. So you are already getting VA compensation? I assume some of that is offset when you attend Battle Assembly since you can't receive pay on the same day from Battle Assembly and VA compensation. Any retirement money would be offset by VA compensation if medically retired but you would get Tricare which some have said is worth more than the money itself. If over 50% VA disabled you can get what is called CRPD which means you can get some of the VA compensation possibly on top of your retirement pay which means it may not all be offset. However, I am not sure if you can qualify for CRPD with a 15 year Non Regular Retirement. Hopefully someone here knows if that's the case.

What branch of service are you in will determine who can help you this site with the details and specifics and how to proceed and protect your desired outcomes. You can possibly still continue service until full retirement, if you desire that and are medically capable. You just need a little guidance and help towards that goal.

Thank you for that information. I am super overwhelmed right now. I am in the Army Reserves and served on active duty for the Army for 10 1/2 years. I am almost certain that I will be found unfit for duty because I have both physical and mental conditions that keep me from deploying. I am mostly worried about the fact that I might be throwing away 15 years of service with nothing to show for it but a disability check (which I already receive). If I am medically retired does that mean that I will still receive my retirement at age 60, or does this change that? I really do appreciate your help. I have been in the Army Reserves for 5 years and still don't understand even the simplest things about how the reserves operate.
I believe you need 15 good years for non regular retirement. 14 good years won't do you any good. So you are already getting VA compensation? I assume some of that is offset when you attend Battle Assembly since you can't receive pay on the same day from Battle Assembly and VA compensation. Any retirement money would be offset by VA compensation if medically retired but you would get Tricare which some have said is worth more than the money itself. If over 50% VA disabled you can get what is called CRPD which means you can get some of the VA compensation possibly on top of your retirement pay which means it may not all be offset. However, I am not sure if you can qualify for CRPD with a 15 year Non Regular Retirement. Hopefully someone here knows if that's the case.

Ok, so I just looked and I have 14 good years as of now. I will have 15 by the time this all goes down though since it will be past the end of t

Ok, so I just looked and I have 14 good years as of now. I will have 15 by the time this all goes down though since it will be passed the end of the fiscal year. I am getting VA compensation at a disability rating of 80%. I do receive both disability and drill pay but then they take out the disability at the end of each year. So, no I do not receive both while actively on drill. So, I would get Tricare for just myself, or for my dependents as well? I guess I am confused about how you wouldn't get retirement and disability at the same time. They seem like two different things to me.

Ok, so I just looked and I have 14 good years as of now. I will have 15 by the time this all goes down though since it will be past the end of t

Ok, so I just looked and I have 14 good years as of now. I will have 15 by the time this all goes down though since it will be passed the end of the fiscal year. I am getting VA compensation at a disability rating of 80%. I do receive both disability and drill pay but then they take out the disability at the end of each year. So, no I do not receive both while actively on drill. So, I would get Tricare for just myself, or for my dependents as well? I guess I am confused about how you wouldn't get retirement and disability at the same time. They seem like two different things to me.
Just like you can't receive Drill Pay and VA pay at the same time. Its the same thing for retirement pay and disability pay except for 2 special circumstances called CRPD & CRSC. CRPD you need 20 year letter and 50% or higher disability. You can read about it here. It doesn't mention the 15 year letter option so assuming you wouldn't qualify. Defense Finance and Accounting Service > RetiredMilitary > disability > crdp. If you can medically retire then you do get Tricare. You can get it for yourself and your family. Here is the link for Tricare in retirement: Retired Service Members and Families | TRICARE.

Just like you can't receive Drill Pay and VA pay at the same time. Its the same thing for retirement pay and disability pay except for 2 special circumstances called CRPD & CRSC. CRPD you need 20 year letter and 50% or higher disability. You can read about it here. It doesn't mention the 15 year letter option so assuming you wouldn't qualify. Defense Finance and Accounting Service > RetiredMilitary > disability > crdp. If you can medically retire then you do get Tricare. You can get it for yourself and your family. Here is the link for Tricare in retirement: Retired Service Members and Families | TRICARE.

Thanks for your help!!

PTSD at 50% may or may not be found unfitting. If your arthritis prevents you from performing your PT test it would likely be found unfitting. But 10% does jack for you. If you can afford an attorney I would get a lawyer to help me. Sleep apnea and tinnitus are usually fitting.

@RonG is the best to break down the financial gain lost from various possibilities.

CRDP:

6402 ELIGIBILITY

640201. Qualified Retiree

A qualified retiree must be a member or former member of the Uniformed Services who is entitled for any month to both retired pay and VA disability compensation that is based on a qualifying service-connected disability.

640202. Qualifying Service-Connected Disability

A qualifying service-connected disability is a service-connected disability (or combination of service-connected disabilities) that VA rates at 50 percent or higher.

640203. Physical Disability Retirement

Members retired for physical disability who have less than 20 years of service creditable for the purposes of computing retired pay are not eligible for CRDP, unless they have 20 years of service for determining entitlement to non-regular (reserve) retired pay and are otherwise eligible for such reserve retired pay.

640204. Non-Regular Retired Pay

Members eligible for retirement for non-regular service are not eligible to receive CRDP until they reach retirement age and have applied for and have become entitled to receive retired pay.

Reference: https://comptroller.defense.gov/Portals/45/documents/fmr/current/07b/07b_64.pdf <---LINK

Ron