Infromation Please: Stress Fractures during Basic Training

G032904

Registered Member
My daughter just called from Fort Jackson. They said she would have to be sent home for 2 stress fractures in her pelvis. Do they have to be sent home? Is there a medical hold? I'm afraid if she comes home she will be so out of sync mentally. What options are there?

ever.wick

Registered Member
Hello,
Sorry.. but I am going to jump in here. I also have a daughter with a pelvic fracture. But she is at navy basic.
The injury happened 3 day before graduation. She is in RCU and told that she will pick up where she left off in training. However she said that when she tell the doctor she is in pain he tell her it is all in her head. EEER
She is not one to complain about pain normally so it worries me that there may be more damage than just the bone that they see on x-rays. The pelvis is a dangerous area to play around with. But she is at the point that she said she is just going to push through and not say anything anymore. I am concerned that this could do more damage. Is there anyway to get another doctor or opinion. I know her options are limited at best. But any info. would be great. Thanx so much for any help

Ed Mercanti

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
My daughter just called from Fort Jackson. They said she would have to be sent home for 2 stress fractures in her pelvis. Do they have to be sent home? Is there a medical hold? I'm afraid if she comes home she will be so out of sync mentally. What options are there?
This doesn't make sense when you said your daughter is "active duty" and not reserve. We know she is on active duty for her training. But is she regular army or reserve/guard? Sounds to me like she is reserve/guard. They don't like spending training funds for a reservist/guardsman who is on a medical hold status so will send them home and have them rescheduled for training. Stress fractures are not normally referred to disability processing since they heal once the physical demands which caused them ceases. So there is no permanent disability.

gsfowler

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
This doesn't make sense when you said your daughter is "active duty" and not reserve. We know she is on active duty for her training. But is she regular army or reserve/guard? Sounds to me like she is reserve/guard. They don't like spending training funds for a reservist/guardsman who is on a medical hold status so will send them home and have them rescheduled for training. Stress fractures are not normally referred to disability processing since they heal once the physical demands which caused them ceases. So there is no permanent disability.

This is exactly why I asked the question. If she is enlisted in the NG or Reserves, they would have more than likely sent here home and had the reserve unit deal with the medical.

If she is active duty and has been at basic for more than 30 days, they typically have to keep her on orders (med hold).

G032904

Registered Member
She is BCT and is two weeks from graduating boot camp. She is active duty, not reserves. They said they send everyone home for con leave to recover then get sent back.

BornToKill

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
She is BCT and is two weeks from graduating boot camp. She is active duty, not reserves. They said they send everyone home for con leave to recover then get sent back.

does she have a da 31 that says con leave on it? if so, she's fine.

gsfowler

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran

Con leave is fine, they can issue up to 60 days of it, in two 30 day blocks. Sometimes they will request the soldier come back after 30 days, stay one day and issue 30 more, other times they just issue the second block of 30 days by email.

Con leave is typically issued to allow the soldier to recoup, without all of the stressors that comes from the training environment.

She may get recycled in her basic training to the beginning of whatever training block she is currently in.

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Convalescent Leave, is non-chargeable leave. She will be fine.

G032904

Registered Member
Con leave is fine, they can issue up to 60 days of it, in two 30 day blocks. Sometimes they will request the soldier come back after 30 days, stay one day and issue 30 more, other times they just issue the second block of 30 days by email.

Con leave is typically issued to allow the soldier to recoup, without all of the stressors that comes from the training environment.

She may get recycled in her basic training to the beginning of whatever training block she is currently in.
I really hope she will recover and can continue training. She does not want to quit, she is trying to avoid a discharge if at all possible. I guess we will know more after her con leave and reevaluation.