Injured and LOD done, but no med board offered

lewisshort1970

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I was injured in Iraq back in 2005 as a deployed member of the Illinois National Guard.
I was on a building, in which the roof caved in while removing equipment that had to be moved to another site. I landed flat footed onto a concrete slab, and immediately collapsed to the ground.
I was seen at the brigade clinic almost immediately. They did not have an x-ray machine or anything due to generators being down at the time. They sent me to the next medical facility which was just down the road which was run by the Air Force. They transferred me by chopper to the CSH in Baghdad after clearing my neck, but they were not able to clear my spine. I however had a lot of bruising on my midsection and hip area. The CSH did a few test and recommended that I receive an MRI in Kuwait. However this did not happen as my unit said that state would not pay for the transport to Kuwait City. I was in theatre for the entire deployment wearing the gear. When wearing the gear my back did not hurt as bad, but was not able to wear it all of the time. I was not given a brace or anything. When we finally got back stateside, I demobilized at Fort Stewart and I told them everything that had happened. They did an MRI, and found that I had fractured my back at T-12 and that I had some disc that were bulging. They said however that I would be better off going back to my home station. I therefore did this and I immediately followed up with the VA. I did all of the stuff that I was supposed to do. I was actually placed on a Permanent Profile for no running 3 on the PULSHES. I will have to find that profile in all of my medical records. I was not informed that a medical board may be necessary and since I was still in the guard I did not apply for any disability until after I was out because I was not sure if I would be able to.
Was a medical board supposed to have been offered, due to the injury and I had a lot of problems doing my actual military job which was in communications and having the inability of working with the antenna's that we had to deploy for the equipment that we worked with

I was injured in Iraq back in 2005 as a deployed member of the Illinois National Guard.
I was on a building, in which the roof caved in while removing equipment that had to be moved to another site. I landed flat footed onto a concrete slab, and immediately collapsed to the ground.
I was seen at the brigade clinic almost immediately. They did not have an x-ray machine or anything due to generators being down at the time. They sent me to the next medical facility which was just down the road which was run by the Air Force. They transferred me by chopper to the CSH in Baghdad after clearing my neck, but they were not able to clear my spine. I however had a lot of bruising on my midsection and hip area. The CSH did a few test and recommended that I receive an MRI in Kuwait. However this did not happen as my unit said that state would not pay for the transport to Kuwait City. I was in theatre for the entire deployment wearing the gear. When wearing the gear my back did not hurt as bad, but was not able to wear it all of the time. I was not given a brace or anything. When we finally got back stateside, I demobilized at Fort Stewart and I told them everything that had happened. They did an MRI, and found that I had fractured my back at T-12 and that I had some disc that were bulging. They said however that I would be better off going back to my home station. I therefore did this and I immediately followed up with the VA. I did all of the stuff that I was supposed to do. I was actually placed on a Permanent Profile for no running 3 on the PULSHES. I will have to find that profile in all of my medical records. I was not informed that a medical board may be necessary and since I was still in the guard I did not apply for any disability until after I was out because I was not sure if I would be able to.
Was a medical board supposed to have been offered, due to the injury and I had a lot of problems doing my actual military job which was in communications and having the inability of working with the antenna's that we had to deploy for the equipment that we worked with
Its very probable that it should have been initiated. You would need to file with your branches board of correction of military records. I will send you some attorneys that you can talk to so you can see if you have a case.

Thank you. I am working on losing weight so I was at the gym, which I am limited to only walking on a treadmill, wishing I could run.

Back