Intake exam at VA

138MISFIT

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
So I'm TDRL..That being said what can I expect from the exam? Is it stricter? Can they lower my %? This is all kind of scary. I've heard horror stories. Anybody?

I see a-lot of people are viewing this post, but no one seems to have an answer

Maybe they didn't answer because your questions are a little vague. Also, you only waited 3 hours and 17 minutes before calling people out for not answering.

1) Everyone has to go through an intake exam to receive VA treatment. No one can predict what your conditions and specific doctor will require, but generally expect something similar to C&P exam again without the determination of ratings.

2) "Stricter" meaning? A little too vague to answer

3) The VA can lower your percentages but the exam you are speaking of will not determine that

Keep in mind, you can always seek treatment at a military treatment facility in lieu of the VA since you are retired.

So I'm TDRL..That being said what can I expect from the exam? Is it stricter? Can they lower my %? This is all kind of scary. I've heard horror stories. Anybody?
From my personal experiences via an U.S. Army perspective while being on DoD military TDRL for nearly four years (in five days actually) at this point in time, I have had three TDRL medical re-examinations for PTSD. For sure, that's probably not the norm albeit I totally refuse to accept any decision by the LDES PEB which is not an accurate DoD disability rating for my current PTSD medical symptomology; plain and simple!

In retrospect, I received an USAPDA IPEB offer of "DoD 80% rating with a PDRL disposition" after my initial TDRL re-evaluation in 2015. I appealed the PTSD DoD disability rating, then requested a FPEB hearing but was retained onto the TDRL after the conclusion of the FPEB hearing. During my second TDRL re-evaluation for PTSD in 2016, the LDES PEB recommended continuation onto the TDRL due to the instability of the medical condition. This decision was not appealable; therefore, I was again retained onto the TDRL for another 12 months. Currently, I just completed my third TDRL medical examination for PTSD over the telephone (a first for me) one month ago, and I am now awaiting the results from the LDES PEB. The good news is that the LDES PEB must make a final decision (e.g., RTD, DWSP, or medical retirement) to include placement onto the DoD military PDRL since I am approaching my fifth anniversary date in 2019 of being placed onto the DoD military TDRL.

With all that said, my insightful feedback to you while on the DoD military TDRL is remain "positively proactive" in all endeavors. This means, ensure that you attend all periodic medical appointments for the PEB-referred condition which placed you onto the TDRL. After the completion of the medical appointment, validate and obtain a copy of the medical record for historical use. If applicable to your individual situation, ensure that you maintain your prescription medication regime and submit for refills regularly when necessary. Remember that the LDES PEB at the TDRL re-evaluation shall review all available medical evidence and/or medical documentation to determine if the PEB-referred "unfit for duty" medical condition(s) which placed you onto the TDRL is(are) "permanent and stable" for DoD rating purposes only.

In response to your specific questions, I shall direct my responses in reference to placement onto the DoD military TDRL and not to an intake exam at the VAMC. At the applicable C&P exam for the PEB-referred "unfit for duty" condition(s) which placed you onto the TDRL, the medical clinician will either perform a physical exam and/or ask a series of questions about your medical condition(s) in order to complete the applicable DoVA DBQ(s). The actions by the C&P exam clinician in the performance of completing the DoVA DBQ should remain similar to the process when previously in the DoD IDES during the completion of any C&P exams. Indeed, the LDES PEB makes their own DoD rating determination in accordance with the 38 CFR VASRD. As such, the LDES PEB could recommend to lower, raise, or maintain a DoD disability rating so it's highly imperative that all medical evidence and/or medical documentation support the actual symptomology of your PEB-referred "unfit for duty" medical condition(s). Take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

Last edited:
As a reminder, TDRL for 138MISFIT is now 36 months, not 60.

As a reminder, TDRL for 138MISFIT is now 36 months, not 60.
Indeed, I am definitely aware of 138MISFIT's TDRL maximum tenure duration of 36 months; I don't need a reminder!

To that extent, I first previously posted the exact "FY17 NDAA TDRL Tenure Change" amendment verbiage onto the PEB Forum website as viewed at http://www.pebforum.com/threads/sec...ility-retirement-list-tdrl.37806/#post-177638 on 24 Jan 17.

As such, I was sharing my own particular TDRL experiences with a specific TDRL 60 month maximum tenure duration applicable only to Warrior644! Read reply #4 above again at your leisure!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

Last edited:
A new poster that was not familiar with the re-evaluation system could read your post and assume 5 years was standard.

The goal of my post was to point out to any new readers the new system.

I was not rude to anyone and I'm not sure why you responded to me in the way you did. No hurt feelings, my friend.

A new poster that was not familiar with the re-evaluation system could read your post and assume 5 years was standard.

The goal of my post was to point out to any new readers the new system.

I was not rude to anyone and I'm not sure why you responded to me in the way you did. No hurt feelings, my friend.
Indeed, no worries; understood also, my friend. Take care!

Best Wishes!

Thank you fellas

My question in regard to tdrl is if you are found fit can you be forced back to active? Or are you allowed to decide to go back or get out?