Interesting Update: Evolving Paradigms

Jason Perry

Founder and Leader
Site Founder
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Recently, I read about a DoD/VA conference "focused on connecting and integrating those who have been deployed with those of us who have not." The idea, from the materials I have read, is to foster a "patient-centric" care model. This is a good goal. You can read more about it here:

MHS Blog - Report From Evolving Paradigms II

I am a believer in keeping the big picture in mind. However, my only concern is that I don't see this translating to a step forward in concrete results for Servicemembers or Veterans. I am not criticizing Las Vegas as a place. But, I am confident that the DoD/VA spent a lot of money on this conference. I fear and suspect that if the same money and resources were spent on making systemic changes to the disability evaluation system, there would be a bigger payoff. As I write this, I see the main "payoff" in this conference as a chance for the government to say to critics that "we care...look at the efforts we have made in sending a message about caring for those we serve." Again, I support the big picture goal. However, without execution at the patient/Servicemember/Veteran level, this amounts to a trip to Vegas for a bunch of government employees.

As a side note, I came across this site with links to exhibitor resources.
:: Technology Forums ::

To be fair, the site says it is limited to "government and non-commercial veteran support exhibitors." I take this to mean that it is government and Non-Profits who are eligible. I suppose I can understand the government being eligible, however, one would think that they should be able to transmit information about their services without going to Vegas. As for Non-Profits....well that does not mean they don't earn money...basically, it means that they can't pay out for shares of ownership. But they can pay high salaries. Sometimes justified, sometimes not. But, this arrangement seems strange to me.

Comments?