ph97

Registered Member
I hope I’m posting this in the right place...I need advice with my medical discharge from the Army. I was diagnosed with Interstitial Cystitis (chronic bladder and pelvic pain) before I joined the Army and treated with bladder instillations that alleviated my pain for 2 years. Then I joined the Army. I have been diagnosed with IC again and have been receiving bladder instillations (military provider) as well as pelvic floor physical therapy (civilian provider). The pain is not getting any better, simply because of the aggravating factors I’m exposed to in the Army (how much can a bladder instillation do if on the next day I have to stand at the gate in 30 degrees for 12 hours with no real bathroom). Just the other day I had to go to the ER in the morning and was put on quarters because I was in so much urethral pain. So, my PCM said he agrees to submitting a permanent profile to initiate the medboard process. The problem is that while him and my physical therapist are in support of this, the military urogynecologist I see is not (former NCO, need I say more). My PCM said I need supporting statements from all of my providers, so he referred me to a civilian provider to get a second opinion. Now, this civilian provider is saying there is a surgical option for my condition - general anesthesia and everything. I am not willing to take on that risk, especially since my pain was manageable with less aggressive treatments before the Army.
So...I guess overall my question is how solid does my case sound to you all? And also, if the new urogyn mentions that I refused the surgical option, would that automatically make my medboard be denied by the deciding authorities?
I really need some advice, I can’t live in pain anymore for the next 2 years :’(
Side note: I’m also diagnosed with depression, anxiety, and adjustment order. I’ve been on 3 antidepressants, Xanax, and see BH as well as a counselor. I’ve talked to my commander about needing to get out for the sake of my mental health, but he seemed dismissive about it. If anyone has any experience with this as well, it would be greatly appreciated.