Introduce yourself

Jason you are the man for putting this together. Has anyone ever heard of the quickstart program from the VA. just recieved two phone calls today from the lady who has my file. She stated that I was going to be assigned to her to schedule all my examinations and that the DAV rep I use knows her. Has this happened to anyone and is this a new protocol.

Hi, I'm Steve

I was placed on TDRL in 2007 for bilateral shoulder instability and was rated at 40% by the Army. I found this site after being registered to the Veterans Benefits Network previously. Both sites are a fountain of information and I appreciate you setting up this website Jason(so glad I was able to come across this website).

I'm on my way to my first TDRL re eval and I'm not sure what to expect, but I do know I'm pretty prepared with documents.

Thanks once again, and I'm glad I found this community

Hi, I'm JT

I have been notified that my MTF will be initiating a PEB/MEB immediately. I have not been profiled with a P3 profile, only T3. A little background, I'm an Army Captain, Chinook helicopter pilot, with over 18 years in service (prior NCO and Warrant Officer). I have had three spinal surgeries, all resulting in a failed fusion of the lumbar spine. I have also had three knee surgeries and have quite a hard time getting around and standing. I use a cane since I have virtually no sensation in my left leg and have fallen as a result. The pain and numbness is still incredibly horrible and the neurosurgeon has stated he may want to attempt another fusion; what a nightmare! In addition, I have been diagnosed with hypertension, tachycardia, ulcers, urological issues, radiculopathy, neuropathy, onset scoliosis, stenosis, spondylosis, and now a possible disc herniation in my neck to complement the vast amount of screws and rods in my lumbar spine. I have also been experiencing locking and binding in my knee joints, as a result of the three surgeries and the cumulative arthritic effects of having little to no cartilage left in the knees. My doctors have me on a slew of medications for pain, radiculopathy, neuropathy, muscle tension, hypertension, tachycardia, urological disfunction, as well as various braces and walking supports. I am concerned regarding the med. board rocess and also have heard horror stories. I have a wife and four kids, two of which are EFMP. I would like to know when I should retain an attorney, if at all, and the best way to proceed to ensure I don't get screwed in the process. Any advice, wisdom, or encouragement would be much appreciated. Its discouraging to realize that I have given the best years of my life to the Army and in turn to be treated as a stigmatized cancer,now that I'm having some medical problems.

Welcome JT. As Jason always says, "keep a journal of everything that happens wrt your conditions. Make sure to include the date time, location, symptoms, triggers pretty much document everything." How much time do you need to hit 20 years? Did any of these injuires result from combat? Has your Narrative Summary (NARSUM) been completed? What are your goals (finish your 20yrs or get medically retired). All these things factor in.
As far as the attorney goes, the sooner you get one the more likely you will be able to realisticly evaluate your options. If you need anymore advice, do a search or make a post in the appropriate section. Again, welcme and good luck!

hello everybody!! i'm new to this forum as you can tell. well alittle bit about myself, I'm AD Air Force. I'm a E-4 been in for going on 4 yrs. last month i got diagnosed with Narcolepsy and i started my MEB process on the 13th of this month. After talking with my PCM and asking his professional opinion about whats gonna happen, he told me that he is 99% sure that the air force is gonna medically separate me. I have accepted my condition and that i'm gonna be medically separated. I'm just gonna try and live life one day at a time and have as much fun as I can. I'm not gonna let Narcolepsy get me down. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Hope everybody has a great day!!

Airman Sleepy

Hello everyone. My name's Alli. I'm an E-3 in the Navy, getting ready to take this cycle's E-4 exam. I've been in for two years. I was just diagnosed with trigeminal neuralgia, and told that I am definitely going to end up going up for an MEB, and possibly a PEB. I've read the Navy instruction on MEB's and PEB's and I'm still really confused, hopefully this site can help me out.

Welcome Alli. I'm also in the Navy, a GSE1, and have been on this site since September. I am much further along in the process. My IPEB has been sent to D.C. and I am waiting on the results. You may find a specific "thread" on your condition, someone in the same process as you, or just a fellow sailor like me going through the process. There are moderators and forum administrators and forum members with a wealth of information and experience that may help you along the road. If you have any specific questions, let me know. I am a hound at finding answers to specific questions.

Hello Everyone! I am new to this forum but not new to the MEB process. Current MSgt, E7, AD in the Air Force, I was boarded at 14.5 years of service for Type 1 Diabetes. I won that "in person board" against the odds, and another formal at 18 Years of service. Also a couple RILO's, and a lot of massaging the system to be able to make it to retirement. I will hit 20 years of AD on 25 May 10, and have a retirement date of 1 Jun 10. I will begin terminal on 30 March 10. I made it!!

I just filed for VA compensation, and hope to do well with that; some of the ratings I am seeking are Sleep Apnea with CPAP, Type 1 Diabetes ( on Pump, with episodes of Hypo/hyperglycemia, no strenuous occupational or recreational activities, restricted diet), Plantar Faciitis, Chronic Arm Pain from fracture (Scars, tissue abnormalities, nerve damage from surgery, bone irregularities/pain), lower back pain, Carpal Tunnel with surgery and continued pain/numbness, Sinusitis, Headaches/Migraines, Sleep issues, and a couple other issues.

This forum is a great place to learn how the MEB process works, or to be honest doesn't work. Hopefully my experiences will be of help to some of you going through this unfortunate process. Feel free to drop me a message and I will reply as best I can based on what I have learned over the years and my personal experiences.

Hello everyone! I am a CW3 in the Army with 13+ years and have being going through a MEB since Aug 08 for Stage Four Incurable Cancer. They are still trying to get the NARSUM correct. crazy. These sites have helped me to understand and find the information I need to represent myself. If you depend on getting anything you better be prepared to fight for it. That's what I have learned since Aug anyway.

krh5748,

Welcome! I am sorry to hear of your illness. It is good to know that you have found good information here. If you run into questions, let us know.

Thanks for the excellent source of information, Jason. I found the site by accident while searching for some information recently and have found it very helpful.

I'm a Major in the USAF, and finally think the board is going to go all the way this time around. In 2001 I was a UPT student and suffered an incident in the jet about halfway through training. It was later diagnosed as traumatically induced Endolymphatic Hydrops (Meniere's Disease). I managed to stay in the engineering world of the research labs and AFIT where my condition was easily tolerated by my commanders. While I had to go through the MEB or RILO yearly, my commanders were happy with me and my PCM's did their best to keep me in. I PCS'd to a much higher ops tempo unit in Jan of this year, and they are not nearly so lenient. So now I'm hitting the MEB with a Commander and PCM both pushing for retirement. At this point, I'm just doing the research to make sure I'm prepared in the event I have to go to a formal board.

Thanks again for the great site.

-Walker

Walker,

Good to have you here! I hope all goes well for you and if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

I'm not new but I've never introduced myself here. I'm and E-6/EN1 in the Navy, I was diagnosed with Spondylosis of cervical spine (C4-C-5, C5/C-6) and lumbar Spondylosis (L4-L5, L-5-S1) and a Dislocated/Bent Tailbone from and Injury that occurred on the Job during a support operation. The first 3 years of the Injury No X-rays nor MRI's were ordered by the Command MTF although the symptoms were textbook as to the origin (pain going down the right leg and back, head aches tingling and numbness as well as weakness and fatigue to name a few). After I finally transferred and was doing my normal physical exercises I began to get increased pain and sought Medical treatment at my new command's MTF where the x-rays and MRI's were finally done although it was like pulling teeth to get them to do them diagnosing me with the above mentioned problems. I was told I was not eligible for any corrective procedures to be done and was referred to an MEB on March 2. I was pulled from my sea duty assignment and designated as non deployable and placed on limdu orders. My MEB package was received on March 10 and that is all the news I have received as of yet. I joined the board to find answers to the process as it seemed the Military wanted to keep people such as myself in the dark and use the lack of knowledge to their advantage, Like others here I wanted to avoid the potential of being screwed due to lack of knowledge.

Hello all first post here. My package was sent to AFPC today so I'm guessing I'm in for a 5 month wait. Anyway, lower back problems, bulging disks and a torn disk. Also hypertension, reflux disease and high cholesterol. I'm sure I'm looking at a low rating and a severance. We'll see. I'm still trying to figure this forum out as it is confusing to me. I have been on a couple of other forums (truck related) and it seems like they were easier to navigate. I'm probably just slow! Just wanted to say hey and THANKS!!!

Greetings Everyone!

I was referred to this forum by a co-worker at my LIMDU command. A bit of background on me, I entered the Navy in 2007 under the NUPOC Program and was comissioned in 2008. Sent to Japan where I completed 18 months. During that time, I had a few episodes of depression and, with hindsight, an approximately equal number of hypomanic episodes. The doc on the ship tried to help me out and keep the depression stuff on the DL, since it would be bad news for keeping my dream/goal of attending Nuclear Power School alive. Things got really bad in Jan of this year and went south fast. My command in general was not supportive of getting any sort of treatment for my depression, even when I asked for it. I was told things from my Department Head(s) like "No, the Navy doesn't provide those kinds of services", referring to my request to go see the psychologist on base, to "Look yourself in the mirror and say "Man up you little *****" and to "Stop Crying", to even being told that I should go and kill myself. It's not a wonder that it eventually came to the point where I was going to do just that and broke down while telling my best friend on the ship goodbye and I found myself in a psychiatric ward the following day, diagnosed with Depressive Disorder - NOS.

It's been a long road to simply get back to the States so I could recieve adequate care and hopefully return to full duty, but I recently saw my Primary Care Provider about adjusting my medications and she referred me to a psych eval because she suspects I may have Bipolar Disorder, which would explain quite a bit, actually. No family history of it, but I don't think that's a requirement. If I ever get my psych eval scheduled we'll see what the Psychiatrist has to say, but from what I've been reading it looks like I may be found fit with bipolar, or unfit with TDRL at 30%, according to what I've read of other similar cases on this boards. I'm not entirely sure what outcome to hope for, I just want to get better.

My first LIMDU is coming up due to expire this September and it's comforting to know that we may not even have the right diagnosis. I'm pretty much expecting to be put on a second LIMDU to conclude with the required MEB (if I understand the process correctly) and without even a complete diagnosis at this point it's tough to determine what might happen.

Here's hoping for the best!

-(not a) swowannabe

I was told things from my Department Head(s) like "No, the Navy doesn't provide those kinds of services", referring to my request to go see the psychologist on base, to "Look yourself in the mirror and say "Man up you little *****" and to "Stop Crying", to even being told that I should go and kill myself.

Can anyone here explain the rationale for this kind of behavior, especially from higher-ups?

It's a wonder anyone in the armed forces comes out with a smidgen of sanity.

(not a) swowannabe,

Welcome! It sounds like you have not yet been identified as needing an MEB, so if your desire is to continue in service, I hope they come up with some treatment options that allow you to recover and return to duty. Keep us informed of the development and best of luck!

I was told things from my Department Head(s) like "No, the Navy doesn't provide those kinds of services", referring to my request to go see the psychologist on base, to "Look yourself in the mirror and say "Man up you little *****" and to "Stop Crying", to even being told that I should go and kill myself.

Can anyone here explain the rationale for this kind of behavior, especially from higher-ups?

It's a wonder anyone in the armed forces comes out with a smidgen of sanity.

Really poor leadership, poor command climate, lack of character come to mind. Senior personnel who don't care for those whom lives they are entrusted with should find another way to make a living.

Hi! I'm a second class in the Navy. I found this forum while searching for information about Celiac's in the military.

I'm in a pretty wierd position. I'm enlisted, selected for OCS, diagnosed with celiac at OCS, NPQ'd from OCS, failed sea duty screen, and now awaiting med board.

I hear there are some Celiac's in the Navy, but they tend to be senior enlisted or officers. I also hear that the med board will consider me a new assession since I was diagnosed while at OCS.

My doctor tells me that the board wil find me fit for future service and then the Navy will adsep me.

I just read on this forum that that is a big no no. I spoke to my advocate about that and she said the Navy's being doing that since the beginning of time.

I was sent to OCS because I was an outstanding Sailor and now I'm going to be discharged?

Has anyone been med boarded for Celiac and can give me any insight? Or even been enlisted and med boarded while in an officer assession program?

Hello everyone, i'm pretty much new here and this site is great! I'm just now closing out my career with the Army and it's been cut way to short. I have Spinal degeneration l4-l5 with left side radiculopothy. I also have Chronic Frontal Sinus disease. I got my response from the IPEB for 20% with severence pay so I requested a FPEB. The day before the FPEB was to take place my lawyer put in for a reconsideration with new evidence. About 2 hours later the board gave me an offer of 30% PDRL. This all happened on Wednesday. Now I just have to wait to get word from the PDA that everything is all good. I've been reading threads from all over this site for two days now and I found this site to be extremely helpful.

Chemdawg

i am just trying to reenlist
i lost some documents that are neede do to an re-3 code

any help with which flaming hoop to jump thru would be great!!!