Invisible Wounds Evaluation

Monkey64

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hello all, looking for help/advice...............
Long story short I am Air National Guard (full time dual status technician) with 22 years service military and a little over 14 years federal service technician. I have been rated by the VA for PTSD (50%) and Tinnitus (10%) for a total of 60%. I have a PEBLO assigned and my Package was sent to the DAWG (Defense Availability Working Group) around the middle of May (2018). Its been over 3 months and counting and still no decision from the DAWG. I know by regulations they meet every 30 days and no less than 45 days. My package at this point must have been through at least 2 meetings.
Yesterday when “pressing” my PEBLO on why my case is taking so long she said right now the Air National Guard has a back log if 2 to 4 months.She also said my case would take longer because it had to go through the “INVISIBLE WOUNDS EVALUATION. This medical situation has been going on for over 3 years and I take pride in doing a LOT of research on my own with regulations and information. Has anyone ever heard of a “INVISIBLE WOUNDS EVALUATION “ ? Thanks in advance for your help.

Hello all, looking for help/advice...............
Long story short I am Air National Guard (full time dual status technician) with 22 years service military and a little over 14 years federal service technician. I have been rated by the VA for PTSD (50%) and Tinnitus (10%) for a total of 60%. I have a PEBLO assigned and my Package was sent to the DAWG (Defense Availability Working Group) around the middle of May (2018). Its been over 3 months and counting and still no decision from the DAWG. I know by regulations they meet every 30 days and no less than 45 days. My package at this point must have been through at least 2 meetings.
Yesterday when “pressing” my PEBLO on why my case is taking so long she said right now the Air National Guard has a back log if 2 to 4 months.She also said my case would take longer because it had to go through the “INVISIBLE WOUNDS EVALUATION. This medical situation has been going on for over 3 years and I take pride in doing a LOT of research on my own with regulations and information. Has anyone ever heard of a “INVISIBLE WOUNDS EVALUATION “ ? Thanks in advance for your help.

Sounds fishy to me. The "backlog" should not impact the DAWG. This "Invisible wounds evaluation" is new to me as far as hearing about it as impacting DES processing. The only reference I have seen about this is discussed as a survey taken by Airmen. Here is a link:

https://www.af.mil/News/Article-Dis...airmen-feedback-critical-to-future-air-force/

I don't know why or how this survey should impact your DES processing. As I said, this sounds fishy to me.

Hope all goes well for you. Best of luck!

Not sure if it is related, yet my determination took from July 2015 to May 2018 to get the answer of LOD MEB from my Medical Group and NGB. I was told that NGB was reviewing the case and would determine if the recurrence of the illness was an LOD. Not sure if that is a DAWG process as indicated, yet it certainly provided a long time delay and much angst on my part waiting for the determination. Once in the IDES LOD MEB process things have been moving along.

As I mention in just about every 32USC709 status, if you loose military membership due to a military medical condition then there are special disability entitlements from federal (FERS) service. Make sure you coordinate with HR retirements and separations office to ensure you are informed.

@Monkey64

Sounds like monkey business to me <G>. I served 32 years in the AF, never heard of this kind of evaluation. Most MH diagnosis don't take very long.

It may be IG time!

There is no such thing as far as I'm aware of-- definitely not in Army or AF. The invisible wounds thing is jargon-- there was an exceptional report written early in OIF/OEF called "The Invisible Wounds of War" by Rand and it referenced PTSD.