IPEB Findings Question

USN_MC

Registered Member
Hello All,

I am a Master Chief with 22 years on active duty. The last year has been tremendously hard for me and my family. Due to chronic depression severe (resistant to treatment), anxiety and PTSD I was placed on medical hold and enrolled in the wounded warrior program. Physically and mentally I was having struggles but everything appeared to be on track as long as I could deploy or stay busy at work. My command was successful, my family is amazing and financially my wife and bring in good money. My goal was to do a few more ground and ship deployments before my 30 year HYT.

Over the last year, my doctors have discovered far too many medical issues to discuss here but I was ultimately boarded for Depression, fibromyalgia and obstructive sleep apnea. I have not been to work since September 2017. I have been enrolled in intensive outpatient, DBT and host of other medical programs to fill my time. I appreciate all the people trying to help me but none of the treatment is working. My doctors would like to me try shock therapy but I have refused.

Yesterday, the IPEB came back and said, "The Physical Evaluation Board (PEB) findings have made the disposition of "Presumed Fit/ Fit to Continue on Active Duty". Despite the MEB physicians stating diagnosis Fibromyalgia, Obstructive sleep apnea, and Major Depressive Disorder failing to meet retention standards and hindering you from doing your job duties.".

I asked my PEBLO and lawyer if this means I can reenlist. I am being told I can reenlist after a medical screening. I am pretty confused at this point. My doctors say I cannot return to work, the PEB says I am fit for duty and my wife wants me to get the hell out. My PSD was in the process of extending my EAOS from 29 SEP 2018 to 31 DEC 2018 prior to the results coming out.

My question is, if the PEB says I can reenlist and the Navy says I am not medically qualified, what are my options? I personally feel I cannot return to work but I am more fearful the stress of getting out will be harder as I have already had a failed suicide attempt this year. I thought the medication wasn't working and stopped taking it. Thank you in advance, I have am pretty tired of dealing with all of this.

oddpedestrian

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Not sure about the stress of getting out is coming from take advantage of all the transition services that are provided in case that is the inevitable option. Are you good financially if you are forced to retire early? I do a lot of volunteer work with vets and admin a few online groups as I also will go crazy just sitting on my hands. I think it will be more likely you will be allowed to re-enlist.

USN_MC

Registered Member
We are financially secure and have savings. We were hoping we would get an unfit result so we could get our VA rating prior to retiring. The main issue I have right now is I cannot work mentally or physically especially in my field. There is a very good chance I will never be able to work again due to the volume of injuries I have. I was just confused as how the PEB can say I am good and all the physicians from fort Belvoir to Walter Reed say I am not. Also, if I am told I have to get out in two weeks when my EAOS expires, who knows what will happen.

oddpedestrian

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Fibro did it as soon as you claimed that it caused problems. Fibro has a very bad reputation among medical professions with many believing its more related to being "in your head" obesity or hypochondriac disorder. It's even worst among military men as it's still widely believed to be a female disorder. Men who are diagnosed with Fibro seem to all be current or former service members because it's ratable at least that's what it's critics have concluded.

Have you actually read ALL your medical records to see what they have written in your clinical notes? I wouldn't be surprised if there is anything even one sentence that cast doubt on the seriousness of your conditions start there if you want answers.

USN_MC

Registered Member
I have read the medical reports. I didn’t even know what fibromyalgia was until a year ago when my rheumatologis gave me a pre diagnosis for it for chronic pain and then diagnosing it in May. I have always been extraordinarily fit. I don’t know if it was the 29 anthrax shots or the anti-malaria medication or the years getting little to no sleep but I have Osteoarthritis in every joint (to include my neck and spine), severe sleep apnea, insomnia, gout, cholesterol, some sort of heart condition discovered by the VA, hypothyroidism, low T and other documented physical ailments. I have been an athlete since I was very young. I do not smoke, drink or have family history. I am a certified personal trainer, sports nutritionist and strength coach. My torn shoulders, trap, ankles, hips, wrists and broken bones can be explained. Headaches, nerve pain, depression etc cannot. I am sure there is a stigma to a lot of things. I have spent a majority of my career taking care of others and it’s something that has always made me happy. I am frustrated with this process and I fear it’s designed to screw over my soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines that don’t have family or have financial support that are kicked to the curb. There is no benefit for me to be found unfit with the exception of the VA rating prior to separating. I was told by a retired Marine O6 that chaired the boards prior to her retirement there was almost no chance I would be found unfit due to being retirement eligible and being within months of my EAOS. My wife is pretty set on wanting me to retire so that’s probably what I will do. I just want to make sure I know what all my options are before making a decision. Also, the physical stuff I feel like is something I can manage. It’s the mood swings, constant feeling of despair, anxiety and hopelessness I am worried I can’t manage when I am away from my military support system. I guess at the end of the day, it is what is....

USN_MC

Registered Member
I received a text from my lawyer reminding me again I can request a FPEB. Having 22 years of active duty, should I request a FPEB or simply put in my retirement and hope I get my VA rating soon. I have read it can months to years to get a VA rating.

RW3

Registered Member
If you are found unfit you would see what your proposed ratings are and decide to accept them or not. It may take 2-3 months after you get out to get your official ratings.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">