iRILO

usafakid09

Registered Member
Greetings all. During my initial out-processing actions (getting the medical clearance letter signed), my doctor informed me that she would be recommending me for an iRILO due to sleep apnea. I was informed that this should be a swift process with the purpose to receive a C code due to me having to use a CPAP. I was curious as to why this didn't happen in 2011 when I was diagnosed with the condition, but I digress. When I received a copy of the NARSUM, the provider included not only the sleep apnea but my scoliosis as well. I was already boarded and returned to duty for the scoliosis, so I was curious as to why that was included again. The provider also included all of my recent surgeries, (basically my entire medical history). I'm concerned that what was supposed to be a quick process is going to turn into anything but. What are my chances of getting returned to duty? I've been on a profile since 2015 due to foot issues, which were rectified by surgery and I just took a full PT test and received an excellent on it in April, despite the profile not ending until June. The PEBLO did inform me that they requested a copy of that test to verify on the 23rd of May. If this turns into a MEB, I will lose my assignment, which just so happens to be grad school at UCLA that I was competitively selected to go to. Anyone have much experience with sleep apnea and scoliosis at the iRILO stage? The DAWG and provider did recommend return to duty but I'm curious as to what AFPC looks at. CC wrote a great letter recommending return to duty as well as neither of these affect my job or PT (as evidenced by the excellent).

If your DAWG, your provider and your Commander all say return to duty, chances are you are going to be returned to duty fairly quickly.

I had a MSgt go through something similar about 5 years ago. Had already been MEB'd for his back with a return to duty and a permanent profile for no sit-ups. He continued to take the PT test minus situ ups. Later on, he had to be MEB'd for another condition. They looked at his back notes because they had to, didn't change anything about his back permanent profile and then looked at his new condition and returned him to duty.

So they did return me to duty with a C-1 code with another review at annual PHA. During those annual reviews, do they just want to make sure it doesn't get worse, or are they looking to for a reason to get you out?

What are the duty limiting condition associated with your C code? I've been out of the IDO world for a while so I don't specifically remember C-1.

During the annual review they are basically just making sure they you didn't just get better to not get "force shaped" at the time of the DAWG review and then relapsed or just got worse.

One of my MSgts was on a C code for his back. Every year he had to go through an annual review to get his annual waiver for no sit-ups and no repetitive bending.

How long did it take for the rilo? Was it a modified rilo? How long did it take to get your C code? I recently found out I have a code 37 due to sleep apnea. I was planning to put in to retire this month so now they are doing a modified rilo to get the code 37 removed.

The RILO/modified RILO process is quick. They basically are the gatekeepers of the full MEB process. They will dictate if something goes return to duty or if it goes to a full MEB.

If you only have sleep apnea it will most likely go return to duty.

That is good to hear as I have a job offer and was ready to punch when I found out about the code 37. They had put it on back in April and never informed me. Hopefully they are able to get it removed in the next week or so and I can proceed as planned. I was told by the peblo that she expected it to take maybe a week at most, though sometimes it can take longer for the modified.

Is there a difference in turn around time for a regular rilo vs a modified rilo? Thank you