Is there any financial compensation from Army/DOD if rated above 50%?

Tech

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Does anyone know if I get any form of financial compensation from DOD/Army if I get rated 50% or more from DOD with less than 20 years of service?

Thank you.

usarmy68e

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I believe that during the process you will be given both DOD and VA ratings, the DOD conditions are used to determine your status (severance from 0-20% and Medically Retired 30% +) the VA Rating you receive is combined of all your claims and typically there is no extra compensation for receiving any % from DOD vs the VA, normally the VA will be higher and that is why most choose to go with the VA figures.

Warrior644

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Does anyone know if I get any form of financial compensation from DOD/Army if I get rated 50% or more from DOD with less than 20 years of service?

Thank you.
Indeed, yes upon your official completion of the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process! As such, soldiers rated at 30% or more, or who have 20 or more years of active military service or 7,200 points of combined service shall receive a medical disability retirement resulting in a receipt of military disability retired pay.

To that extent, a medical disability retirement is either temporary (e.g., placed on the TDRL) or permanent (e.g., placed on the PDRL) depending on the stability of your PEB-referred "unfit for duty" medical condition(s). If you otherwise qualify for a permanent disability retirement, you will be placed on the TDRL if the IDES PEB determines that your medical condition is not stable for DoD rating purposes.

It's important to note that while on the TDRL, your disability rating doesn't change regardless of any change in your medical condition; this protects both you and the Army throughout your tenure on the TDRL. Also, please keep in mind that the DoD IDES procedures are not currently used for rating of TDRL cases which means that the DoD LDES PEB will determine the disability ratings for all soldiers being removed from the TDRL. Take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Re: “Does anyone know if I get any form of financial compensation from DOD/Army if I get rated 50% or more from DOD with less than 20 years of service?”—Tech

Retirement benefits are discussed above. Since you mentioned 50%, you mght be inquiring about Concurrent Retirement Disability Pay (CRDP). Under the circumstances you described, you would not be eligible for CRDP. You would have to qualify for another retirement as well to be eligible.
You may be entitled to CRDP if…

• you are a regular retiree with a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater.
  • you are a reserve retiree with 20 qualifying years of service, who has a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater and who has reached retirement age. (In most cases the retirement age for reservists is 60, but certain reserve retirees may be eligible before they turn 60. If you are a member of the Ready Reserve, your retirement age can be reduced below age 60 by three months for each 90 days of active service you have performed during a fiscal year.)
  • you are retired under Temporary Early Retirement Act (TERA) and have a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater.
  • you are a disability retiree who earned entitlement to retired pay under any provision of law other than solely by disability, and you have a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater. You might become eligible for CRDP at the time you would have become eligible for retired pay.
Another benefit is CRSC which is discussed at this link: Supplement to CRSC Information

Ron

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I believe that during the process you will be given both DOD and VA ratings, the DOD conditions are used to determine your status (severance from 0-20% and Medically Retired 30% +) the VA Rating you receive is combined of all your claims and typically there is no extra compensation for receiving any % from DOD vs the VA, normally the VA will be higher and that is why most choose to go with the VA figures.
Re: “...is why most choose to go with the the VA figures.”

It is not a choice between one or the other. It is a choice of whether to accept VA comp and agree to waive retired pay in the same amount as the VA comp.

Isn’t that the same thing?

No. Many chapter 61 retirees do not have to waive all of their retirement pay, which results in: residual retired pay + VA compensation.

Ron

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">