Is this nexus letter good enough to increase my rating from 50% to 70%

GREENJAR24

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello I’m filing a supplemental claim for increase and I want to know if this nexus letter from my therapist is sufficient enough to boost me from 50% to 70% for my anxiety disorder?

My nexus letter says the following:

I have been treating The Veteran for mental health issues related to depression and anxiety from 01/10/20 to present. The Veterans symptoms include those consistent with major depressive disorder, mild, recurrent (continual undercurrent and experience of malaise, diminished emotions/low mood, low motivation, lack of energy and sleeplessness, poor concentration, indecisiveness and irritability, feeling overwhelmed and insecure and experiencing emotional conflict related to social withdrawal/ unresolved grief issues), as well as, physiological/behavioral symptoms consistent with generalized anxiety disorder (major life conflicts from the past and present that form the basis for current anxiety and include, difficulty with focus and concentration, disorganized thought process, avoidance of unpleasant emotions, routinely feeling overwhelmed, out of control, restless and worried, and carrying tension/stress physiologically in parts of the body, such as alertness/hyperarousal).

These symptoms have overwhelmed the client and at times, have caused significant challenges related to day-to-day functioning of life goal-setting and in maintaining healthy, interpersonal relationships. These symptoms have not impaired the client in meeting their daily activities of living/self-care (eating/bathing/maintaining weekly therapy appointments), and the client demonstrates a capacity for growth and change due to his intelligence, empathy, ability to self-reflect and mental flexibility. His overall prognosis is good.

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Speaking of only of the word "nexus" for VA claim purposes: A “nexus” is a link between a veteran's current, diagnosed disability and an in-service event, injury, or illness. VA requires a veteran to provide a nexus for their claim for service connection in a majority of cases."

The narrative you provided sounds more like a diagnosis than a presentation of cause and effect. However, the nexus was probably proven when you were rated at 50% for anxiety and a diagnosis of increased difficulty might be adequate.

There are several members of this board who likely can provide a better analysis.

Good luck,
Ron

GREENJAR24

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Speaking of only of the word "nexus" for VA claim purposes: A “nexus” is a link between a veteran's current, diagnosed disability and an in-service event, injury, or illness. VA requires a veteran to provide a nexus for their claim for service connection in a majority of cases."

The narrative you provided sounds more like a diagnosis than a presentation of cause and effect. However, the nexus was probably proven when you were rated at 50% for anxiety and a diagnosis of increased difficulty might be adequate.

There are several members of this board who likely can provide a better analysis.

Good luck,
Ron
I understand, I guess I meant to ask if this is a good enough supplement to warrant an increase.

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Hello I’m filing a supplemental claim for increase and I want to know if this nexus letter from my therapist is sufficient enough to boost me from 50% to 70% for my anxiety disorder?

My nexus letter says the following:

I have been treating The Veteran for mental health issues related to depression and anxiety from 01/10/20 to present. The Veterans symptoms include those consistent with major depressive disorder, mild, recurrent (continual undercurrent and experience of malaise, diminished emotions/low mood, low motivation, lack of energy and sleeplessness, poor concentration, indecisiveness and irritability, feeling overwhelmed and insecure and experiencing emotional conflict related to social withdrawal/ unresolved grief issues), as well as, physiological/behavioral symptoms consistent with generalized anxiety disorder (major life conflicts from the past and present that form the basis for current anxiety and include, difficulty with focus and concentration, disorganized thought process, avoidance of unpleasant emotions, routinely feeling overwhelmed, out of control, restless and worried, and carrying tension/stress physiologically in parts of the body, such as alertness/hyperarousal).

These symptoms have overwhelmed the client and at times, have caused significant challenges related to day-to-day functioning of life goal-setting and in maintaining healthy, interpersonal relationships. These symptoms have not impaired the client in meeting their daily activities of living/self-care (eating/bathing/maintaining weekly therapy appointments), and the client demonstrates a capacity for growth and change due to his intelligence, empathy, ability to self-reflect and mental flexibility. His overall prognosis is good.
As RonG pointed out the use of the word NEXUS is inaccurate.

The first paragraph is excellent. The second paragraph should speak directly to the VA's rating criteria.

1590758170919.png

oddpedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
By the Nexus alone no you should have provided your therapist just the chart above so they would know how to word it. You will probably be sent to a C&P exam to determine if the increase is warranted it needs to match the chart to get it granted.

Attachments

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
One more thing. What are the credentials of your therapist? The VA may not accept your providers credentials as being competent to conduct a proper eval.

GREENJAR24

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
One more thing. What are the credentials of your therapist? The VA may not accept your providers credentials as being competent to conduct a proper eval.
He’s a licensed professional counselor that has been practicing for 10 plus years.

GREENJAR24

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
By the Nexus alone no you should have provided your therapist just the chart above so they would know how to word it. You will probably be sent to a C&P exam to determine if the increase is warranted it needs to match the chart to get it granted.
I was mistaken in calling it a Nexus letter as I’m already rated for anxiety.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">