AttitudeEra

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
So, I was recently scheduled for my initial MH MEB appointment. The appointment is at Shaw AFB, which is a 2 hour drive away from where I'm stationed. My flight claims that someone in my chain of command has to drive me to my MH MEB appointment. He claims that this is standard procedure. The only thing is, I have NEVER seen anyone going through an MEB having to be driven by someone in their chain of command. When he spoke to me, he didn't even have a time planned for us to meet up or made arrangements to get a GOV to drive me there (the appointment is extremely soon not to have basic arrangements made). I honestly think he's lying and my chain of command convened and came up with this plan to have a way of keeping an eye on me.

It's documented in my medical records that I have fallen asleep at the wheel before (with no accidents) but I am NOT on a driving profile/waiver. I also work swing shift. If that's the real reason they want him to drive me to this MEB appointment, then why not just say that, instead of acting awkward and suspicious about it? Or let me leave work early the night before so I can rest up for this drive? Or have a detail Airmen drive me or another co-worker drive(that's how it normally work when someone can't drive to work)? Why does it have to be him?

Because if that's the real reason, that would insinuate that he somehow gained knowledge/access to info regarding my MH treatment which is borderline crossing HIPAA territory. My chain of command has treated me like Hannibal Lecter ever since they were notified of my MH diagnosis. They legitimately act scared of me, like I'm a ticking time bomb (I'm the most harmless creature on the planet lol) And since I won't tell them every detail about my MH condition, the have been acting very suspicious and have been trying to covertly get info about it from me. They have even gone so far as to calling my Airmen behind my back to see if they can get info about it from them :confused:

I kinda feel like this is an elaborate attempt at getting more details about it. The more they try to pry info out of me about it, the more I get uncomfortable around them and clam up. I REALLY don't want to sit in a car for 2 hours in a car with my flight chief as he tries to pry info out of me about my MH condition.

Is this a real thing? Is it legal? I have never heard of chain of command having to attend a MH MEB appointment. :confused:

Camp P Marine

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
This sounds all kinds of fishy. It is a big issue if you miss a MEB appointment. With it being so far and offering up a Gov vech and making sure you get there has some merits (with likely ulterior motives). They are likely trying to "keep tabs" but if you have fallen asleep while driving, they could be legitimate concerned with safety/ORM.

My COC has lied to me numerous times regarding MEB stuff. Examples include:
"You can't be held past your EAS for a MEB" (guy who worked next to me was past EAS at the time)
"You need to see the MO and be put Full Duty so you can EAS" (unlawful order)

As tempting as telling them they are full of it is, remember for them MEBs are a headache....one more thing for them to be "tracking." Read the regs, know them, and realize once you're in IDES and the NMA is done there is not much they can do to you. Stay out of trouble and wait it out.

You won't receive anything in writing the day of the appt. Also if they try to sit in there with you and the Dr. they are in the wrong and the Dr. should know better.

limbolife

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Buddy if your on a meb and your chain of command wants to drive you DO IT!!! That will turn a 50% rating into a 70%+ really quick when you explain that work impact to the doctor. Congrats wish they did that for me.

AttitudeEra

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Buddy if your on a meb and your chain of command wants to drive you DO IT!!! That will turn a 50% rating into a 70%+ really quick when you explain that work impact to the doctor. Congrats wish they did that for me.
I was thinking the same thing. I'm gonna gonna let him drive me, but I'm gonna sleep the whole way there and back so he won't try to talk to me...plus we don't know each other that well and every interaction I've had with him has been extremely awkward lol. He's the new flight chief and with me potentially leaving soon, I don't wanna add another person to the mix of my MH MEB situation.

AttitudeEra

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
This sounds all kinds of fishy. It is a big issue if you miss a MEB appointment. With it being so far and offering up a Gov vech and making sure you get there has some merits (with likely ulterior motives). They are likely trying to "keep tabs" but if you have fallen asleep while driving, they could be legitimate concerned with safety/ORM.

My COC has lied to me numerous times regarding MEB stuff. Examples include:
"You can't be held past your EAS for a MEB" (guy who worked next to me was past EAS at the time)
"You need to see the MO and be put Full Duty so you can EAS" (unlawful order)

As tempting as telling them they are full of it is, remember for them MEBs are a headache....one more thing for them to be "tracking." Read the regs, know them, and realize once you're in IDES and the NMA is done there is not much they can do to you. Stay out of trouble and wait it out.

You won't receive anything in writing the day of the appt. Also if they try to sit in there with you and the Dr. they are in the wrong and the Dr. should know better.

I agree 100%. I'm gonna sleep the whole way or at least pretend to sleep so he can't keep trying to coerce me to divulge information out of me. My CoC has done something like this before (had someone drive me home to get details about my MH condition). One time when the "undershirt" (an 19 year E-6 who had no real CSS job yet, and still doesn't have a real assignment there) drove me home, she forced herself into my house to see how I'm living since none of my coworkers have been to my house before.

When they do stuff like this, it always causes me to raise an eyebrow and think they have ulterior motives. During my initial feedback with my supervisor, he flat out said he doesn't want to "deal" with troops' MH problems...even though I have NEVER asked them to, because of rhetoric like that. I barely even talk around them. I NEVER ask for any special accommodations or help because asking for the smallest thing always turns into huge, drawn out ordeal and it gives them ammo to create a paper trail on me. They make my MH condition more about them and less about me, when I never talk about it. I work in a toxic environment where people talk more about each other/gossip then the mission, which is frustrating. Knowing the culture of my shop, I wouldn't dare talk about my MH condition. I'm not a rookie and I'm not an idiot.

I remember one time, I was about to tell the NCOIC in charge of our scheduling a little bit about my MH condition so that he'll know that it could possibly (not definitely) affect my work schedule. They wouldn't stop badgering me about giving up information, so I was gonna give them some. He damn near ran out of the room saying, "I don't wanna know...I don't wanna know". He reacted so awkwardly that I almost laughed. My first sergeant had a similar reaction. So when I do tell them more information, they get so uncomfortable that they try to end the conversation ASAP and leave the room. They act like weirdos when it comes to me and MH stuff. Kind of immaturely in my opinion.

That's why I'm gonna let them waste their gas instead me wasting mine. My fight chief is hoping to get extra information about my MH MEB during our drive up there, but he's going to be sorely disappointed cuz I ain't saying s***. I feel like that's the main reason my CoC wants him to drive me up there. My supervisor marked me down on my feedback because "I need to start offering up more information"(which was the most frivolous markdown I have ever seen). How did they rationalize that me not divulging my personal/medical business is some kind of character flaw? You have to see why I'm so suspicious of even the "nice" gestures they extend to me.

I'm exhausted and don't have much fight left. I just wanna do the work I have left and be left alone. I'm at the point where I just wanna get through this MEB and get tf outta here.

Navy10

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
To be honest what i did was sit down with the triad(top 3 ranks in my command) and explained my situation to them. I needed them to understand my situation so i could get the support of the command. they didnt need to know my situation in detail , but it was important to me to get the message across.. luckily i did, they were very understanding and lieniant on my schedule. and offered to move me somewhere with less stress

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">