Issued a Chapter 5-17 now what?

elij4ah

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I have been dealing with sleep issues for over 10 months now. My PCM has prescribed me 4 different medicines that have helped me fall asleep but I still wake up about 3 hours later. I go back to sleep but wake up approximately every 30 min randomly until it’s time to get up for the day. I am on flight status and because of the medicines prescribed to me, I have not flown in at least 3 months. My pcm diagnosed me with chronic insomnia and recommended me for a chapter 5-17, where do I go from here? Am I entitled to a PEB for my other conditions. I know I don’t get disability for insomnia but can I claim other stuff? Also after my pcm said he’s talked to my commander do I wait for her to address me or do I schedule an appointment with her to see if she approves it? If she doesn’t approve it then what I am coming up on 24 months from ETS so I know I can’t reclass?

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Has your PCM ordered a sleep study? Sleep is complex process and there are many factors to consider. If not, I'd request a sleep study through my PCM.

elij4ah

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Has your PCM ordered a sleep study? Sleep is complex process and there are many factors to consider. If not, I'd request a sleep study through my PCM.
Yes my pcm has I have that appointment next week but won’t find out the results for about a month due to them being very booked. I’ve talked to people taken the online test and it doesn’t seem like I have sleep apnea because I never wake up needing air and I don’t snore I just have trouble staying asleep. My pcm took me off my medicine that helped me fall asleep and last night was the worst night in months I layed in bed for about 3 hours before I could get a couple hours then I woke up every 20 min and when I did “fall asleep” it was that sleep where I’m “rested” but still conscious of my surroundings so I’m not really asleep but I don’t think I have sleep apnea but the expert will let me know I guess

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
There are multiple kinds of apnea. There are also sleep conditions other than apena. A full sleep study involves measures of brain activity, measurements of chest movements, leg movements, O2 sats..... Given they are trying to chapter you, insist on a complete understanding of your condition so that the decision is based on medical evidence.

elij4ah

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
There are multiple kinds of apnea. There are also sleep conditions other than apena. A full sleep study involves measures of brain activity, measurements of chest movements, leg movements, O2 sats..... Given they are trying to chapter you, insist on a complete understanding of your condition so that the decision is based on medical evidence.
I did not know that thank you for that info. Worst case scenario if they do push this 5-17 will I still be able to claim my other disabilities or will those have to be claimed after I’m out. Also I was told today that the commander hasn’t made her decision yet, and that the chapter process takes 6 months to a year is that true? Does being diagnosed with sleep apnea give me a profile for APFT and/or height and weight I don’t think it does but I really can’t pass those things after my run I’m throwing up and I have a nutritionist so I’m doing the steps I can take I just don’t see results and I was told until I get my sleep issue resolved It’s hard to lose weight and perform well.

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
I have zero insight into the timing of a 5-17. But if you are ill, be assertive about getting a proper diagnosis. Army medicine can be company medicine, your task is to insist it be just medicine.

elij4ah

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I have zero insight into the timing of a 5-17. But if you are ill, be assertive about getting a proper diagnosis. Army medicine can be company medicine, your task is to insist it be just medicine.
I will sir thank you for your time and acknowledging my post it’s appreciated unfortunately I have a pt test and height and weight in a couple weeks and I have not improved for months my numbers have not gotten better as far as body composition and my physical fitness has gotten worse no matter the diet I am on from my nutritionist and the working out after work alongside pt. My last question is are there any other options sir or is this unfortunately a crappy situation?

tony292

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Can you fly with seroquel? I have horrible insomnia and have been prescribed the following over the years:

Ambien, lunesta, trazadone, mirtazapine, Xanax, and now finally 400 mg seroquel.

Without seroquel I sleep 1-2hours a night, some nights zero sleep. With seroquel I sleep 6-9 hours. On a bad night I might have to take a couple of Tylenol PM with the seroquel.

elij4ah

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Can you fly with seroquel? I have horrible insomnia and have been prescribed the following over the years:

Ambien, lunesta, trazadone, mirtazapine, Xanax, and now finally 400 mg seroquel.

Without seroquel I sleep 1-2hours a night, some nights zero sleep. With seroquel I sleep 6-9 hours. On a bad night I might have to take a couple of Tylenol PM with the seroquel.
I am unsure if I can fly with that but If it is a stronger class then lunesta then I cannot my pcm has prescribed me melatonin, trazadone, Ambien, and lunesta and all have not worked for me and my pcm doesn’t want to keep prescribing me medicine he says a 21 year old shouldn’t rely on medicine. So he recommended i talk to behavior health to see if they will recommend me unfit or a 5-17 from him and behavior health told me I need to start organizing my thoughts and going to my happy place more so I can relax and sleep those “tactics” have not worked and I’ve told my therapist about my worrying and not being able to go back to sleep unless I get confirmation that I’m not late to anything and she handed me a paper on anxiety and that was the end of that so my pcm said let’s do the 5-17 and emailed my commander but I haven’t heard anything about it yet

TXWI

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Seroquel is a heavy hitter. antipsychotic that is used for many things to include PTSD and sleep issues but there are definitely side effects. I was on it for months and yes it helps but the side effects were too much so I stopped. you could not fly on that.

good luck.

elij4ah

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I did not know that thank you
Update: I talk to the commander today to see what she decides with my case any advice?

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
I will sir thank you for your time and acknowledging my post it’s appreciated unfortunately I have a pt test and height and weight in a couple weeks and I have not improved for months my numbers have not gotten better as far as body composition and my physical fitness has gotten worse no matter the diet I am on from my nutritionist and the working out after work alongside pt. My last question is are there any other options sir or is this unfortunately a crappy situation?
Your best option is a proper diagnosis, but it is a crappy situation. Army medicine gets off track easy. I've experienced it myself. When a patient's case is not easy it is convenient to label the patient. Good docs dig deeper.

elij4ah

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Your best option is a proper diagnosis, but it is a crappy situation. Army medicine gets off track easy. I've experienced it myself. When a patient's case is not easy it is convenient to label the patient. Good docs dig deeper.
Update: My sleep study is on Wednesday but I won’t find out the results until May. Also my platoon leader talked to the commander today and told me on Thursday I have a meeting with her so she can give me the initial counseling to start the chapter process. If I get separated and it turns out the sleep study does find something will I be able to claim it after separated?

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Getting things changes later will be a mess. Talk to legal counsel ASAP.

oddpedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
5-17 is an admin chapter it's still honorable are you ok with this? If you continue to lack medical evidence for your file this is a likely outcome.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">