Issued a Chapter 5-17 now what?

I have been dealing with sleep issues for over 10 months now. My PCM has prescribed me 4 different medicines that have helped me fall asleep but I still wake up about 3 hours later. I go back to sleep but wake up approximately every 30 min randomly until it’s time to get up for the day. I am on flight status and because of the medicines prescribed to me, I have not flown in at least 3 months. My pcm diagnosed me with chronic insomnia and recommended me for a chapter 5-17, where do I go from here? Am I entitled to a PEB for my other conditions. I know I don’t get disability for insomnia but can I claim other stuff? Also after my pcm said he’s talked to my commander do I wait for her to address me or do I schedule an appointment with her to see if she approves it? If she doesn’t approve it then what I am coming up on 24 months from ETS so I know I can’t reclass?

Has your PCM ordered a sleep study? Sleep is complex process and there are many factors to consider. If not, I'd request a sleep study through my PCM.

Has your PCM ordered a sleep study? Sleep is complex process and there are many factors to consider. If not, I'd request a sleep study through my PCM.
Yes my pcm has I have that appointment next week but won’t find out the results for about a month due to them being very booked. I’ve talked to people taken the online test and it doesn’t seem like I have sleep apnea because I never wake up needing air and I don’t snore I just have trouble staying asleep. My pcm took me off my medicine that helped me fall asleep and last night was the worst night in months I layed in bed for about 3 hours before I could get a couple hours then I woke up every 20 min and when I did “fall asleep” it was that sleep where I’m “rested” but still conscious of my surroundings so I’m not really asleep but I don’t think I have sleep apnea but the expert will let me know I guess

There are multiple kinds of apnea. There are also sleep conditions other than apena. A full sleep study involves measures of brain activity, measurements of chest movements, leg movements, O2 sats..... Given they are trying to chapter you, insist on a complete understanding of your condition so that the decision is based on medical evidence.

There are multiple kinds of apnea. There are also sleep conditions other than apena. A full sleep study involves measures of brain activity, measurements of chest movements, leg movements, O2 sats..... Given they are trying to chapter you, insist on a complete understanding of your condition so that the decision is based on medical evidence.
I did not know that thank you for that info. Worst case scenario if they do push this 5-17 will I still be able to claim my other disabilities or will those have to be claimed after I’m out. Also I was told today that the commander hasn’t made her decision yet, and that the chapter process takes 6 months to a year is that true? Does being diagnosed with sleep apnea give me a profile for APFT and/or height and weight I don’t think it does but I really can’t pass those things after my run I’m throwing up and I have a nutritionist so I’m doing the steps I can take I just don’t see results and I was told until I get my sleep issue resolved It’s hard to lose weight and perform well.

I have zero insight into the timing of a 5-17. But if you are ill, be assertive about getting a proper diagnosis. Army medicine can be company medicine, your task is to insist it be just medicine.

I have zero insight into the timing of a 5-17. But if you are ill, be assertive about getting a proper diagnosis. Army medicine can be company medicine, your task is to insist it be just medicine.
I will sir thank you for your time and acknowledging my post it’s appreciated unfortunately I have a pt test and height and weight in a couple weeks and I have not improved for months my numbers have not gotten better as far as body composition and my physical fitness has gotten worse no matter the diet I am on from my nutritionist and the working out after work alongside pt. My last question is are there any other options sir or is this unfortunately a crappy situation?

Can you fly with seroquel? I have horrible insomnia and have been prescribed the following over the years:

Ambien, lunesta, trazadone, mirtazapine, Xanax, and now finally 400 mg seroquel.

Without seroquel I sleep 1-2hours a night, some nights zero sleep. With seroquel I sleep 6-9 hours. On a bad night I might have to take a couple of Tylenol PM with the seroquel.

Can you fly with seroquel? I have horrible insomnia and have been prescribed the following over the years:

Ambien, lunesta, trazadone, mirtazapine, Xanax, and now finally 400 mg seroquel.

Without seroquel I sleep 1-2hours a night, some nights zero sleep. With seroquel I sleep 6-9 hours. On a bad night I might have to take a couple of Tylenol PM with the seroquel.
I am unsure if I can fly with that but If it is a stronger class then lunesta then I cannot my pcm has prescribed me melatonin, trazadone, Ambien, and lunesta and all have not worked for me and my pcm doesn’t want to keep prescribing me medicine he says a 21 year old shouldn’t rely on medicine. So he recommended i talk to behavior health to see if they will recommend me unfit or a 5-17 from him and behavior health told me I need to start organizing my thoughts and going to my happy place more so I can relax and sleep those “tactics” have not worked and I’ve told my therapist about my worrying and not being able to go back to sleep unless I get confirmation that I’m not late to anything and she handed me a paper on anxiety and that was the end of that so my pcm said let’s do the 5-17 and emailed my commander but I haven’t heard anything about it yet

Seroquel is a heavy hitter. antipsychotic that is used for many things to include PTSD and sleep issues but there are definitely side effects. I was on it for months and yes it helps but the side effects were too much so I stopped. you could not fly on that.

good luck.

I did not know that thank you
Update: I talk to the commander today to see what she decides with my case any advice?

I will sir thank you for your time and acknowledging my post it’s appreciated unfortunately I have a pt test and height and weight in a couple weeks and I have not improved for months my numbers have not gotten better as far as body composition and my physical fitness has gotten worse no matter the diet I am on from my nutritionist and the working out after work alongside pt. My last question is are there any other options sir or is this unfortunately a crappy situation?
Your best option is a proper diagnosis, but it is a crappy situation. Army medicine gets off track easy. I've experienced it myself. When a patient's case is not easy it is convenient to label the patient. Good docs dig deeper.

Your best option is a proper diagnosis, but it is a crappy situation. Army medicine gets off track easy. I've experienced it myself. When a patient's case is not easy it is convenient to label the patient. Good docs dig deeper.
Update: My sleep study is on Wednesday but I won’t find out the results until May. Also my platoon leader talked to the commander today and told me on Thursday I have a meeting with her so she can give me the initial counseling to start the chapter process. If I get separated and it turns out the sleep study does find something will I be able to claim it after separated?

Getting things changes later will be a mess. Talk to legal counsel ASAP.

5-17 is an admin chapter it's still honorable are you ok with this? If you continue to lack medical evidence for your file this is a likely outcome.