Issues with command psychologist?

tierrademares

Registered Member
I'm assigned to a command that leaves me in a remote location and from long distances from any major military base and MTF. I was originally given referrals from my PC to see civilian therapists and psychiatrists locally.

After an inpatient visit for mental health reasons, I had to work with the command psychologist (She has come on board after my referrals to the outside providers). She has since placed me on LIMDU status and keeps check on me. However, she does not provide therapy sessions.

I'm having issues with her and the recent change of diagnosis with the civilian providers. She's apparently forbidding me to see my outside therapist and says that I can only see her for therapy sessions due to the Bipolar diagnosis. She wants to "rule out the diagnosis" and wants to change the medication so it makes me deployable, but has not evaluated me on her own terms since my discharge from my inpatient visit. My providers and I disagree with the command psychologist and are concerned with her reasoning behind her actions and words.

Any advice on how to deal with this situation? If she tries to manipulate my diagnosis, will I have the chance to see someone else to reevaluate? Are there any regulations that they follow to ensure she's following her standards?

Thanks!

Ruling out (r/o) a diagnoses is standard practice. When a patient presents for therapy there are often several possible diagnoses. The therapist begins with a tentative diagnosis (the most likely) and a list of diagnoses to r/o (think possibilities). When a diagnosis doesn't fit the patients presentation, the therapist documents why it is ruled out. The only way I would have a problem is if a therapist r/o'd out a diagnosis based on the needs of the employer rather than the patient's presentation. The fact that professional opinions are different is not of itself a problem. Professionals often disagree.

If your desire is to be separated from the military; the diagnosis of the VA will trump the diagnoses of all others. In terms of VA compensation the diagnosis makes little difference in most cases. What is your desired outcome in terms of continued service with the military?