It's Official: Final Placement onto the DoD PDRL is Approved via the Secretary of the Army!

Warrior644

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
ALCON:

From an U.S. Army perspective, my official military disability retirement orders read "You were removed from the Temporary Disability Retired List on the date indicated because of permanent physical disability and, on the date following, you are permanently retired in your current grade of rank." :D

In retrospect, after a long 4 years and 17 days to include experiencing 3 DoD TDRL medical re-evaluations under the DoD LDES PEB process, my PTSD PEB-referred "unfit for duty" medical condition was finally determined to be "permanent and stable" for DoD (Army) rating purposes only! Note, that I had one other PEB-referred "unfit for duty" medical condition, but it was previously determined to be "permanent and stable" by the PEB when in the DoD IDES process. So, I was originally placed onto the TDRL at a DoD (Army) 50% disability rating with a combat-related injury finding by the DoD IDES PEB albeit I received a 100% rating for PTSD by a DoVA Rating Agency within seven month after becoming a military disabled veteran. Unfortunately, it took another 3.5 years (under the previous 5-year maximum TDRL tenue law) via PEB appeals to include a FPEB hearing while on the TDRL for the USAPDA to finally determine a DoD (Army) 100% disability rating and placement onto the PDRL.

Moreover, via the USAHRC's My Record Portal, I was officially aware of my placement onto the DoD military PDRL six days prior to the receipt of a 12.625" x 15" DO NOT BEND brown envelope on 20 June 2018 from the USAPDA TDRL Branch. Enclosed in the brown envelope were three items: a Removal from TDRL Notification Memorandum, Department of the Army (DA) Orders, and a Retirement Certificate (this was definitely a surprise since I already received one with a 26 May 2014 calendar date). With the DA retirement orders, I have already scheduled appointments for my family members and I at the nearest Department of Defense installation to receive a new identification and privilege card. My wife's eagle eyes noticed that the Retirement Certificate had the wrong calendar year; it was annotated as 2017. No worries. After contacting the USAPDA TDRL Branch to inform them of the error on the Retirement Certificate, on 22 June 2018 they forwarded a revised Retirement Certificate with the correct 2018 calendar year and it was received on 25 June 2018.

With that all said, it has been an extremely long TDRL journey for my family and I, but we are totally satisfied that I invoked all DoD LDES PEB appeal opportunities to ensure the receipt of a DoD (Army) 100% disability rating which aligns with my current DoVA 100% P&T rating for PTSD and its medical symptomology as annotated in 38 CFR VASRD. As such, remaining dedicated to a "positively proactive" approach throughout the entire TDRL ordeal has finally resulted in justice served for myself and my family! ;)

As I have posted innumerably in my threads & replies on the PEB Forum, "never default acceptance to any injustices; fight then continue to fight some more until receipt of your desired expectations supportive via all available medical evidence and/or medical documentation;" this is definitely my motto. It has helped to keep me somewhat focused to survive the TDRL ordeal and to ultimately receive successful final results during the TDRL Informal PEB proceedings. To all extent, I sincerely hope and pray that other military veterans can do the same if they decide to choose a similar course of action throughout their DoD IDES/LDES and/or DoVA VBA endeavors.

Indeed, to all of the PEB Forum members, please enjoy life to the fullest extend feasible and thanks for your continued support throughout the years while in the DoD IDES process on military active duty and the DoD LDES PEB process as a direct result of TDRL placement! :) Take care! :cool:

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

Congrats and well done.

Congratulations glad to hear everything worked out for you

Congrats on enduring such a long ride to your desired outcome.

Congrats!

I’m glad to hear that your hard work and perseverance paid off in the end.
I wish the Navy had an HRC site that would allow us to check our TDRL status. After my initial re-eval, I got told by the TDRL coordinator that if I didn’t hear anything with in a month or so, to just assume I was still on TDRL. Thanks.
The sad part is, my neuro recommended me for PDRL because my TBI/seizures are not resolved, but the MH Dr said I wasn’t doing enough for my mental health, and that he would see me again..

@Thats10Level,
@MackValdez,
@SSGMB,
@slayhert

ALCON:

Indeed and thanks to you all too! Take care and enjoy! :)

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

I’m glad to hear that your hard work and perseverance paid off in the end.
I wish the Navy had an HRC site that would allow us to check our TDRL status. After my initial re-eval, I got told by the TDRL coordinator that if I didn’t hear anything with in a month or so, to just assume I was still on TDRL. Thanks.
The sad part is, my neuro recommended me for PDRL because my TBI/seizures are not resolved, but the MH Dr said I wasn’t doing enough for my mental health, and that he would see me again..
Wow! That's definitely disheartening for sure! It seems that the USN still need more overall PDES improvements especially with the TDRL re-evaluation process! Hmm, what more does the MH doctor want? Are your TBI/seizures resolvable at any point in time as evaluated by neuro?

Well, please continue any/all mental healthcare treatments doing your placement onto the TDRL. Albeit, at some point in time, your mental healthcare treatment will become exhausted (e.g., no more medical benefits can be achieved or reached). That's what exactly happened in my particular medical situation with mental healthcare treatments when simultaneously on the TDRL! Then, I had to endure an unfortunate 3.5 year wait to eventually prove/show a "permanent and stable" DoD (Army) 100% disability rating for PTSD after a long 4 years and 17 days resulting in a final placement onto the DoD military PDRL.

Nonetheless, thanks and my "hard work and perseverance" was followed up by maintaining a "positively proactive" approach while placed onto the DoD military TDRL! Indeed, you can definitely do the same with a "positively proactive" approach and potentially achieve a similar PDRL outcome hopefully prior to the end of your TDRL maximum duration limit. Take care!

Best Wishes!

Last edited:
ALCON:

From an U.S. Army perspective, my official military disability retirement orders read "You were removed from the Temporary Disability Retired List on the date indicated because of permanent physical disability and, on the date following, you are permanently retired in your current grade of rank." :D

In retrospect, after a long 4 years and 17 days to include experiencing 3 DoD TDRL medical re-evaluations under the DoD LDES PEB process, my PTSD PEB-referred "unfit for duty" medical condition was finally determined to be "permanent and stable" for DoD (Army) rating purposes only! Note, that I had one other PEB-referred "unfit for duty" medical condition, but it was previously determined to be "permanent and stable" by the PEB when in the DoD IDES process. So, I was originally placed onto the TDRL at a DoD (Army) 50% disability rating with a combat-related injury finding by the DoD IDES PEB albeit I received a 100% rating for PTSD by a DoVA Rating Agency within seven month after becoming a military disabled veteran. Unfortunately, it took another 3.5 years (under the previous 5-year maximum TDRL tenue law) via PEB appeals to include a FPEB hearing while on the TDRL for the USAPDA to finally determine a DoD (Army) 100% disability rating and placement onto the PDRL.

Moreover, via the USAHRC's My Record Portal, I was officially aware of my placement onto the DoD military PDRL six days prior to the receipt of a 12.625" x 15" DO NOT BEND brown envelope on 20 June 2018 from the USAPDA TDRL Branch. Enclosed in the brown envelope were three items: a Removal from TDRL Notification Memorandum, Department of the Army (DA) Orders, and a Retirement Certificate (this was definitely a surprise since I already received one with a 26 May 2014 calendar date). With the DA retirement orders, I have already scheduled appointments for my family members and I at the nearest Department of Defense installation to receive a new identification and privilege card. My wife's eagle eyes noticed that the Retirement Certificate had the wrong calendar year; it was annotated as 2017. No worries. After contacting the USAPDA TDRL Branch to inform them of the error on the Retirement Certificate, on 22 June 2018 they forwarded a revised Retirement Certificate with the correct 2018 calendar year and it was received on 25 June 2018.

With that all said, it has been an extremely long TDRL journey for my family and I, but we are totally satisfied that I invoked all DoD LDES PEB appeal opportunities to ensure the receipt of a DoD (Army) 100% disability rating which aligns with my current DoVA 100% P&T rating for PTSD and its medical symptomology as annotated in 38 CFR VASRD. As such, remaining dedicated to a "positively proactive" approach throughout the entire TDRL ordeal has finally resulted in justice served for myself and my family! ;)

As I have posted innumerably in my threads & replies on the PEB Forum, "never default acceptance to any injustices; fight then continue to fight some more until receipt of your desired expectations supportive via all available medical evidence and/or medical documentation;" this is definitely my motto. It has helped to keep me somewhat focused to survive the TDRL ordeal and to ultimately receive successful final results during the TDRL Informal PEB proceedings. To all extent, I sincerely hope and pray that other military veterans can do the same if they decide to choose a similar course of action throughout their DoD IDES/LDES and/or DoVA VBA endeavors.

Indeed, to all of the PEB Forum members, please enjoy life to the fullest extend feasible and thanks for your continued support throughout the years while in the DoD IDES process on military active duty and the DoD LDES PEB process as a direct result of TDRL placement! :) Take care! :cool:

Best Wishes!
Congrats!

I'm (Navy) TDRL for over 4 years and 3 month!!! I never moved or change my physical address... Never received a notice to reevaluation or something... Should I call the PEB to request a reevaluation before the 5 year mark?

Congrats!

Rocky, I am Navy TDRL for 4 years and 6 months. Had my first TDRL reeval last Oct. Haven't heard anything from PEB yet. Definitely reach out to PERS. Email preferably.

I'm (Navy) TDRL for over 4 years and 3 month!!! I never moved or change my physical address... Never received a notice to reevaluation or something... Should I call the PEB to request a reevaluation before the 5 year mark?
Indeed yes, and immediately as I definitely concur with @LTJG's feedback in message #13 above!

To any extent, please don't allow nor accept the U.S. Navy's lackluster performance while you being on the DoD TDRL to ultimately result in becoming a casualty of the federal law's previously mandated TDRL termination (e.g., all military retired pay & military retired benefits) requirement of not exceeding the maximum five year tenure duration limit; it's (suppose to be) automatic without any exceptions! Take care!

Best Wishes!

@Vet09,
@landmine,
@FTP

ALCON:

Indeed and thanks to you all too! Take care and enjoy! :)

Best Wishes!