JBSA Lackland Timeline - PTSD - Active Duty

Beerwagon

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hi folks. Here's some background and my timeline so far.

Been suffering from PTSD, MDD, Anxiety, Insomnia, Sleep Apnea, GERD, etc. since the mid 2000's following combat tours in Afghanistan.
20 July '23 - Referred to MEB by Psychologist after a failed suicide attempt and 3 separate psych hospitalizations.
30 Aug - Assigned PEBLO
31 Aug - NARSUM
11 Sep - CIS & AFW2 contact
12 Sep - 9W300 AFSC assigned
13 Sep - AFW2 brief
15 Sep - Records send to IRILO
19 Sep - New PEBLO assigned
22 Sep - Received & Returned FL4 & Initial DBQ
27 Sep - MEB briefing
29 Sep - Claim sent to VA (or AFPC. Not sure)
2 Oct - Claim under review
2 Oct - Contacted by VA military service coordinator (MSC). Signed 526 EZ & 686.
9 Oct - C&P Exams scheduled
16 Oct - MH/PTSD C&P exam
19 Oct - General DBQ Telehealth. A rep from QTC medical called and we went through each "general claim" DBQ, line by line. This was a huge because there was 30+ pages to fill out and she was incredibly helpful.
26 Oct - TBI C&P
31 Oct - Vision C&P due to allergic condition
2 Nov - General C&P, Hearing, Vision again
3 Nov - Labs
--------Appointments for 2 & 3 Nov rescheduled due to unavailable staff at QTC-------
21 Nov - General C&P, Hearing, Vision again
22 Nov - Labs
26 Nov - General C&P (range of motion) exam re-accomplished because provider did not use a Goniometer for measurements.
12 Dec - Called QTC for update because the DBQ's from 21, 22, & 26 Nov have not populated into TricareOnline documents. I was informed that there is an IT issue preventing them from sending the remaining DBQ's to their QA for final review. The process has halted for now...

I hit 20 years of service in 6 weeks. My deepest sympathies are with any of you who suffer with mental illness while navigating this process. "Be patient, this will take some time" doesn't quite seem to provide any relief. But there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

13 Dec - Remainder of DBQ’s uploaded in TriCare Online “documents”. I gather this means that the IT issue was resolved.

What happens next? Should I expect a call from my PEBLO soon?

13 Dec - Remainder of DBQ’s uploaded in TriCare Online “documents”. I gather this means that the IT issue was resolved.

What happens next? Should I expect a call from my PEBLO soon?
Also curious, have heard that your exams go up for ratings but not sure

28 Dec - 618 signed and sent back to PEBLO. She took leave for the New Year break but said she’ll submit the signed documents when she returns on Jan 2nd.

Hi folks. Here's some background and my timeline so far.

Been suffering from PTSD, MDD, Anxiety, Insomnia, Sleep Apnea, GERD, etc. since the mid 2000's following combat tours in Afghanistan.
20 July '23 - Referred to MEB by Psychologist after a failed suicide attempt and 3 separate psych hospitalizations.
30 Aug - Assigned PEBLO
31 Aug - NARSUM
11 Sep - CIS & AFW2 contact
12 Sep - 9W300 AFSC assigned
13 Sep - AFW2 brief
15 Sep - Records send to IRILO
19 Sep - New PEBLO assigned
22 Sep - Received & Returned FL4 & Initial DBQ
27 Sep - MEB briefing
29 Sep - Claim sent to VA (or AFPC. Not sure)
2 Oct - Claim under review
2 Oct - Contacted by VA military service coordinator (MSC). Signed 526 EZ & 686.
9 Oct - C&P Exams scheduled
16 Oct - MH/PTSD C&P exam
19 Oct - General DBQ Telehealth. A rep from QTC medical called and we went through each "general claim" DBQ, line by line. This was a huge because there was 30+ pages to fill out and she was incredibly helpful.
26 Oct - TBI C&P
31 Oct - Vision C&P due to allergic condition
2 Nov - General C&P, Hearing, Vision again
3 Nov - Labs
--------Appointments for 2 & 3 Nov rescheduled due to unavailable staff at QTC-------
21 Nov - General C&P, Hearing, Vision again
22 Nov - Labs
26 Nov - General C&P (range of motion) exam re-accomplished because provider did not use a Goniometer for measurements.
12 Dec - Called QTC for update because the DBQ's from 21, 22, & 26 Nov have not populated into TricareOnline documents. I was informed that there is an IT issue preventing them from sending the remaining DBQ's to their QA for final review. The process has halted for now...

I hit 20 years of service in 6 weeks. My deepest sympathies are with any of you who suffer with mental illness while navigating this process. "Be patient, this will take some time" doesn't quite seem to provide any relief. But there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
Can I hit you up? I have questions on this process. I’m on lackland as well.

10 Jan - VA received disability/compensation claim. Strangely, they reviewed my claims and made a decision in the same day. Current claim status shows “closed”. “We sent you a determination letter”. I know that from this point the VA’s proposed rating is sent to the IPEB so that they can make their determination (fit/unfit/disability rating).

Maybe I’ll hear something from my PEBLO on Friday? Maybe that’s wishful thinking but knowing I’m so close is already some relief.

17 Jan - I received my proposed ratings today.
VA rating - 100%
AF rating - 70%

TDRL was recommended but I’m not sure how that works since I hit 20 years of service this month. Would they even bother trying to return me to duty after so long if I’ve already surpassed regular retirement eligibility?

I’ll be meeting with my PEBLO. Hopefully she can answer some of these questions I have.

excuse my ignorance in advance as I’m still learning this process, but were you found unfit to get the ratings?

I just met with my commander today to get my side to make a statement. The IRILO was started last month, and I don’t even know the process. No one has contacted me according to the AFI legal rights. Should I call the disability attorney on Randolph or Lackland?

Thanks, i just feel uneducated on this.

A lot of things need to happen before you’re contacted by anyone other than the person (PCM) initiating the process. If you check out my timeline, you’ll see at what point I was finally contacted by my PEBLO. I would keep your PCM in the loop and let them know you still haven’t been contacted by a PEBLO if you are in fact at the stage of the process in which one would be reaching out to you.
That said, the PEBLO will be able to answer all of your questions and even provide an estimated timeline. Every case is different but I can tell you that the only time it was necessary for me to see my commander was for the commanders impact statement (CIS)… other than periodic status updates and conversations in passing.

This is a very long, nerve racking process that no one would fault you for being a bit stressed about. I know I was stressed. Not enough people wearing the uniform are familiar with the process so there aren’t many avenues as far as seeking guidance. Thats why so many people say “talk to your PEBLO”.

I’m sorry if I wasn’t any help. Hang in there and keep a detailed timeline so that you can nudge people if you feel like the process is stalling.

31 Jan - Finally received my retirment orders. Since I was enrolled in TDRL, the TDRL enrollment letter or “official notification” act as your orders. The letter itself does state that I’m “officially relieved of duty from active service for retirement”.

Terminal starts 15 Feb
Officially retired 19 Mar

As far as being placed on TDRL (even though I’ve served over 20 years) was simply because the IPEB could not determine if my disqualifying disabilities were improving, steady or getting worse. I’ll have a VA appointment in about a year and they may make a determination then.

What didn’t make sense to me is that regardless of the status of my disabilities, they would not be able to “return me to duty” either way because of my time in service. So, I’m still scratching my head about that one but no one ever said military or VA processes make sense.

Last edited:
Looks like you're finally wrapping things up, best of luck & congratulations! It looks like your MEB went relatively quickly despite the extra exams.

Looking back, it did go fairly smoothly except for a few hiccups. I feel for anyone having to go through this process who isn’t wanting or isn’t ready to leave the military. However, depending on your ratings, could very likely lead to a far less stressful life and compensation for all you’ve done for your country.

Have any tips for someone awaiting their 618 results? I feel like I've had c&p results for ages just in limbo

A lot of things need to happen before you’re contacted by anyone other than the person (PCM) initiating the process. If you check out my timeline, you’ll see at what point I was finally contacted by my PEBLO. I would keep your PCM in the loop and let them know you still haven’t been contacted by a PEBLO if you are in fact at the stage of the process in which one would be reaching out to you.
That said, the PEBLO will be able to answer all of your questions and even provide an estimated timeline. Every case is different but I can tell you that the only time it was necessary for me to see my commander was for the commanders impact statement (CIS)… other than periodic status updates and conversations in passing.

This is a very long, nerve racking process that no one would fault you for being a bit stressed about. I know I was stressed. Not enough people wearing the uniform are familiar with the process so there aren’t many avenues as far as seeking guidance. Thats why so many people say “talk to your PEBLO”.

I’m sorry if I wasn’t any help. Hang in there and keep a detailed timeline so that you can nudge people if you feel like the process is stalling.
I was just notified that I was fit for duty from my PTSD. My commander’s impact statement helped, but my provider stated he didn’t have enough time with me to determine if I was unfit. I’ve been bounced around the past 18 months which started the IRILO.

My question: if I spoke to my provider that my chronic PTSD is not going to improve, can i ask to get med boarded since I’m already past the 20 years?

31 Jan - Finally received my retirment orders. Since I was enrolled in TDRL, the TDRL enrollment letter or “official notification” act as your orders. The letter itself does state that I’m “officially relieved of duty from active service for retirement”.

Terminal starts 15 Feb
Officially retired 19 Mar

As far as being placed on TDRL (even though I’ve served over 20 years) was simply because the IPEB could not determine if my disqualifying disabilities were improving, steady or getting worse. I’ll have a VA appointment in about a year and they may make a determination then.

What didn’t make sense to me is that regardless of the status of my disabilities, they would not be able to “return me to duty” either way because of my time in service. So, I’m still scratching my head about that one but no one ever said military or VA processes make sense.
Thank you for your service.