JBSA MEB

Just received my ratings for DOD and VA from my PEBLO. I am happy with both but I will be asking for a VA reconsideration which my PEBLO told me ask for. DOD was 30% and VA Rating was 90% 22 yrs of service. I have an appointment with my Legal rep this Friday at 0900 to discuss the findings and ratings. The paralegal called me today and asked what I thought about the Ratings and I told him I was going to ask for a VA reconsideration, He said " for what"? I told him for my lower back and ankle. He told me that the only way that could happen is if I have another ROM test done for either one. I do have an appointment with ortho in the morning. Any advise...………………….

Now I haven’t been through the process yet, so take this with a grain of salt and someone correct me if I get anything wrong. I believe this issue has been covered in other threads and the general consensus is to accept the ratings so you can finish the IDES process and then appeal to the VA after you’ve retired. The difference between 90-100% is over a grand, and you get a slew of other benefits with it so I see the appeal. However, you would also be putting yourself at risk of getting a rating decrease. Basically, you need to look at the rating criteria for your conditions and determine two things: 1) are the ratings I think I deserve going to get me to 100%? and 2) do I have enough evidence to show that I meet the criteria for a rating increase? I would speak to your legal rep and ask their opinion after looking over your documents to see if it’s worth an appeal. Without knowing what is wrong with your low back and ankle, no one can really guesstimate what your rating should be.

A VARR could go three ways; no change, up a notch, down a notch. There are less dollars on the table going down to 80% than going up to 100%. And of course you could end up still at 90%. To me the risk is small, but each person has to make up their own mind.

I will ask legal what they think tomorrow morning. Someone else told me that it good go down to but I don't want to believe them. Why would it go down if its only my lower back and ankle? This is what found me INFIT.