PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Nov 26 2019 – MEB initiated
Nov 27 2019 – Met with PEBLO
Dec 3 – Met with MSC
Dec 17-18 2019 – C&P exams
Jan 2 2020 – C&P exams uploaded to Tricare online
Jan 6- condition added
Jan 10 – MEB results came back (did not concur)
Jan 22 – Submitted rebuttal
Jan 24 – Response received, memo was written to be added to NARSUM
reflecting modifications (I’m not sure if it was actually added to the NARSUM)
Feb 4 – PEB found unfit
March 31 – Received ratings

The entire process went faster than I expected. I did not do a good job preparing as far as SFL-TAP. The DOD rating I received is over 30% and the VA is 100%. I'm now trying to decide if it's worth it to submit a COAD request, I'm at 15 years AD.

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
If you want to stay in, it would not hurt to apply to continue! Thanks for sharing your timeline.

MilitaryBlake

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I am also at JBSA with a similar timeline. Started first of DEC. and just received my ratings. My ratings are similar to yours. I am now headed to Transition.

My question is that I have been told once Transition begins, I only have 3 months (90 days) until I am completely out. This includes leave. With COVID-19 going on, this puts me at a huge disadvantage, as I am not nearly far enough along in the process of getting educated in terms of benefits, etc.

Do you know if it is possible to take the 90 days for transition, to get SFL-TAPS, etc. with out taking my leave and just have it paid out after? I know I would be taking it at a discounted rate, but technically that would give me at least 4 months of pay and not three as I finalize my new job, find home, etc.

Emart

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I spoke with MEB counsel today and that was one of the questions I had. Even with people teleworking, you still have 90 days to get. I know SFL-TAP is being done online. I'm not sure if you received your pre-retirement briefing yet but they're just sending the slide show to those who were scheduled to attend in April. Have you signed your 199 yet? How many years in do you have?

MilitaryBlake

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
10 years in Jun - so I will make that mark. You mention "you still have 90 days to get" - does that mean 90 days to get everything done not including leave? If that is the case then I am okay. I know it is not advisable to sell leave, but if I take 90 days to get everything done but then sell my leave back that still gives me around 4 months of income. I have a job waiting for me in AUG, I just need an income for that long.

No I have not yet signed 199. Technically, I guess it is still being written by PEB. But PEBLO says ratings are in and done. Says 199 should be coming any day now.

BTW, thxs for taking the time to write, really appreciate it.

Emart

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
That was a typo, my understanding is you have 90 days to get out and that time includes your leave. You should ask your PEBLO if selling your leave changes that time. I'm interested to know the answer to that.

MilitaryBlake

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I'll ask and get back with you. If I don't take leave and just take the pay out, they say that one should be out in 20-30 days. This seems very quick given that I just barely began SFL-TAPS (I was given incorrect information by PEBLO -mine said don't start until you have fitness of duty letter from PEB) and many things are somewhat stalled with COVID-19. Either way, either they have to extend my time at least somewhat, or I will have to buy it out. I have 74 days saved up - no way I can clear post, finish SFL-TAPS, etc. in 16 days (less working days)

Emart

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
That's the same thing my PEBLO told me. It would make more sense to start SFL -TAP in the MEB phase. I asked my PEBLO if there's anyway to be extended as well.. Please keep me updated on your status, were pretty much in the same boat.

MilitaryBlake

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I will. And we may even have the same PEBLO. Don't recommend sharing names on the site, but it is a possibility. Also, and in the spirit of not providing names, I did speak with the Transition POC for medical retirements and he/she stated that if recommended by Commander, the 90 days can be extended to 120. I have a good relationship with my Commander, I think I will ask him/her if this is a possibility. Especially since I have so much Leave accrued.

Emart

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Yes, I agree with not sharing names. That's good to know about the 120 days. Please keep me updated with your case and I will do the same.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">