Just got paid by VACP Treasurer for CRSC Amount

AKtrooper345

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello all
I started receiving CRSC this month. I was paid my CRSC by DFAS on the first and recieved my CRSC back pay. Then today, I received a direct deposit from VACP TREASURER 310 for the same amount as my CRSC. Does anyone know why I am receiving this from both the VA and DFAS? Thanks

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hello all
I started receiving CRSC this month. I was paid my CRSC by DFAS on the first and recieved my CRSC back pay. Then today, I received a direct deposit from VACP TREASURER 310 for the same amount as my CRSC. Does anyone know why I am receiving this from both the VA and DFAS? Thanks
Yes.

You would not receive CRSC if you did not receive VA compensation. The receipt of VA compensation causes your retired pay to be reduced by the amount of the compensation.

CRSC replaces some or all of the waived/reduced retired pay.

I think you are confusing the waiver of retired pay with VA comp. Only the amount of VA comp is used in the formula...you do not lose VA comp in this scenario.

Note: I was working another case...

Ron

AKtrooper345

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Ron
I understand how it works, I just don't know where this extra payment is coming from.

So far this month, I was paid the following
1) My VA 100% Comp from the VA
2) My retired residual or leftover from DFAS
3) CRSC backpay from DFAs
4) CRSC from DFAS

Then today I received an ADDITIONAL payment from the VA (NOT DFAS) for the same amount as my CRSC. Im trying to figure out why the VA just paid me for CRSC.

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hello,

The VA does not pay CRSC...ever. If you received CRSC from the VA, you would be the first.
Frankly, it is impossible.

They sometimes pay retroactive VA compensation and refer to it as “CRDP” which is confusing since the DFAS has a pay item called CRDP. Perhaps you had a month of retro VA comp coming.

The following appears to be VA comp:
“VACP TREASURER 310”

I believe the CP stands for Compensation [or] Pension....VA Pension is not retired pay. The VA occasionally presents those words together.

Ron

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
The C&P VA examination that is often discussed is a good example of how Compensation & Pension is shortened to “C&P.”

Note: The source of funding for CRSC is different from VA funding.

DFAS never pays VA compensation.
VA never pays CRSC. [see post 14]
Ron

AKtrooper345

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Those are both from my bank statement.

VA PAY: $3545.67
DFAS RET NET: $629.33
DFAS CRSC PAY: $441.67

^These are my monthly sources and amounts.

VACP TREAS 310: $441.67

^ I have absolutely no idea why the VA paid me this. Hopefully I'll get some correspondence in the mail or something.

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Those are both from my bank statement.

VA PAY: $3545.67
DFAS RET NET: $629.33
DFAS CRSC PAY: $441.67

^These are my monthly sources and amounts.

VACP TREAS 310: $441.67

^ I have absolutely no idea why the VA paid me this. Hopefully I'll get some correspondence in the mail or something.
Thanks for the info.

The best I can offer with the info provided is that the VA payment is an out of cycle payment. Sometimes when DFAS does the CRSC audit they discover that the VA still owes funds as well and that info is electronically shared with the VA. I have experienced that.
I also was the recipient of a DFAS audit that was incorrect to the tune of $5000. Anyway, that is unrelated...

Ron

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
A possibility...

Some of your retired pay received in the past caused the VA to not pay part of the VA comp (because no waiver). Once that retired pay was recharacterized as CRSC, that allowed a simultaneous payment of VA comp.

This is going deep into the well and difficult to explain in a forum, but it does occur.

Please report how this turns out.

Ron

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
AKtrooper345,

I was provided a copy of a VA letter this evening which states they (VA) are going to pay the retiree a certain amount of CRSC. They cited a law that does NOT pertain to CRSC; it was a reference to CRDP which is a different payment.

First, a few comments about funding for certain payments.
--Military Retirement Fund (MRF): Retired Pay, including CRDP paid by DFAS and USCG. Note: CRDP is retired pay that has been restored.

--VA Funding: The FY 2020 budget includes $97 billion (an increase of $6.8 billion, or 7.5 percent) in discretionary funding, including resources for health care, benefit administration, and national cemeteries, as well as $123.2 billion (an increase of $12.3 billion or 11.1 percent) in mandatory funding above 2019 for benefit programs inclusive of Compensation and Pensions, Readjustment Benefits, Housing and Insurance.

--CRSC paid by DFAS and USCG: Although CRSC is not considered retired pay (it is non-taxable compensation), it is funded through the Department of Defense Military Retirement Fund .

The following law was cited in the VA "CRSC Payment Letter":
38 CFR § 3.750 - Entitlement to concurrent receipt of military retired pay and disability compensation
which is CRDP, not CRSC. There are occasions where retro VA compensation is paid to retirees eligible for CRDP under the CRDP program, but it is VA compensation.

In closing:

It appears that the VA has begun to refer to certain payments they make as CRSC. That is technically inaccurate, but I suppose they can call it what they choose.
I suggest that anyone who receives funds from the VA consider it VA compensation (possibly retroactively paid). Of course there are other forms of VA payments but those are rarely discussed on this board.

Ron

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">