Just received my NARSUM.

11BangBang

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello there,

I just received my NARSUM on Friday and wanted to know if anyone can give me a clue on what my ratings will look like. Any information will be helpful.

1. Post-Concussion syndrome with recurrent migrane headaches, IAW AR 40-501, CHAPTER 3-30(J)

2. PTSD, IAW AR 40-501, CHAPTER 3-33( C )

3. Lumbar strain IAW AR 40-501,CHAPTER 3-39 (H)

4. Cognitive Disorder NOS, Meets Retention Standards

5. Cervical Strain, Meets Retention Standards

6. Right Knee Plica Syndrome, Meets Retention Standards

7. Gastroesophageal Reflux Syndrome, Meets Retention Standards

8. Chronic Sinustis, Meets Retention Standards

9. Bilateral Intermittent Tinnitus, Meets Retention Standards

10. Left Knee Patellofemoral Syndrome with Osteoarthritis, Meets Retention Standards

11. Mallet Fingers of right small and ring finger with Osteoarthritis, Meets Retention Standards

12. Erectile Dysfunction, Meets Retention Standards

Cervical Spine

Movement ROM Degree Degree at Pain

Flexion [0-45] 40 25

Extension [0-45] 30 20

Right Lateral [0-45] 20 10

Left Lateral [0-45] 20 10

Right Rotation [0-80] 45 45

Left Rotation [0-80] 30 30

Thoracolumbar Spine

Movement ROM Degree Degree at Pain

Flexion [0-90] 30 20

Extension [0-30] 20 10

Right Lateral [0-30] 20 10

Left Lateral [0-30] 20 10

Right Rotation [0-30] 20 10

Left Rotation [0-30] 20 10

Any information will be very helpful!!!!

Thanks!!!

..::Godspeed::..

It looks like your being recommended to the PEB as unfit for your TBI, PTSD and Lumbar Spine. I don't know about the TBI, but the PTSD should come back at 50% or better and your ROM number for your spine at 40%. Between those two I know percentages for, it would be a 70% combined rating. The TBI will only add to this. Remember the MEB only recommends to the PEB. The PEB can agree, add or subtract from the the MEB recommendation. I would say with all your conditions your VA rating will come back very high as well.

Agree with rangers assessment, with the added thought, they may try for TDRL instead of PDRL, you can fight this if your rating is high enough, do some reading on here to find out how and what you need to do so. Also educate yourself via the ECFR ( like the vasrd but easier to use) http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/ECFR?page=browse
Some of your conditions may get zero's and they may try to lump the PTSD/TBI/cognitive disorder together to "avoid pyramiding" or whatever they call it.
Your two main "goals" are 30% dod for ensured retirement and 100% VA if you get both of those you get the majority of benefits there are. You do actually want the max DoD your eligible for however which is 75% because that can never go down as opposed to VA which legally can fluctuate depending on improvements with your condition. Hopefully your chain of command is supportive and will give you the time/resources to fight if you need to, instead of just taking a low ball and running to escape a hostile situation.

it all depends are you writeup from the MEB Dr. Read it over carefully, only thing about PTSD and any mental conditions result in TDRL which is temporary retire, your best bet is to look up in google VARSD which is the publication VA uses to determine ratings. Make sure that the condition that is considered does not meet medical retention standards. VA will rate everything from 0 to 100% for VA and also do the DOD.

Will I be concerted retired. With NARSUM. They put down that my PTSD did not meet retention. But my tinnitus meeting retention

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    743.5 KB · Views: 36
It all depends on what the VA rates, so appt and documentation is very important. I have seen other military members that have PTSD and did not get retirement. So for now its to early to tell. good luck hope it all works out. THe most frustrating part is the waiting.

well i am already rated from the va. my neck (c5-c6 fusion %20) my back (l4-l5 fusion %20) PTSD %30. total va rating %60. this was before the med board process

i might have higher rating for my neck and back i went out to my own doctor and got a new ROM done which i gave to the PEBLO to submit w/ my package along w/ the signed NARSUM to the board.

Will I be concerted retired. With NARSUM. They put down that my PTSD did not meet retention. But my tinnitus meeting retention
You may get TDRL or PDRL, the wording stable and unstable have a direct effect on your outcome. Tinnitus is always a meets retention standards, unless there is proven hearing loss linked to it.

It will save you time in the long run to look these conditions up. As mentioned in the previous posts, you need to be well versed in the VASRD. Look up your conditions and know what you are entitled to. It may seem easier now to have other members look your conditions up but you need to learn "the ropes" and get educated. This site helps tremendously but knowing how to look up your conditions is arming yourself with more ammunition.

UniformedSoldier- thanks for the information. Got all my condition and looked them up and made a spreadsheet for it. The only conditions that I couldn't find or didn't know how to put a rating on was the following:

6.Right Knee Plica Syndrome, Meets Retention Standards

10.Left Knee Patellofemoral Syndrome with Osteoarthritis, Meets Retention Standards
12.Erectile Dysfunction, Meets Retention Standards

6.Right Knee Plica Syndrome, Meets Retention Standards= Where can I find this in the VARSD?

10.Left Knee Patellofemoral Syndrome with Osteoarthritis, Meets Retention Standards= Where can I find this in the VARSD?

11.Mallet Fingers of right small and ring finger with Osteoarthritis, Meets Retention Standards= Where can I find this in the VARSD?

12.Erectile Dysfunction, Meets Retention Standards= Where can I find this in the VARSD?

Would this apply to any of these conditions, minus of the ED?

5003 Arthritis, degenerative (hypertrophic or osteoarthritis):
Degenerative arthritis established by X-ray findings will be rated on the basis of limitation of motion under the appropriate diagnostic codes for the specific joint or joints involved (DC 5200 etc.). When however, the limitation of motion of the specific joint or joints involved is noncompensable under the appropriate diagnostic codes, a rating of 10 pct is for application for each such major joint or group of minor joints affected by limitation of motion, to be combined, not added under diagnostic code 5003. Limitation of motion must be objectively confirmed by findings such as swelling, muscle spasm, or satisfactory evidence of painful motion. In the absence of limitation of motion, rate as below:
With X-ray evidence of involvement of 2 or more major jointsor 2 or more minor joint groups, with occasional incapacitatingexacerbations.................................................................................................... 20With X-ray evidence of involvement of 2 or more major joints or 2 or more minor joint groups....................................................................... 10

I had both knees with the same syndrome and got 10% for each knee

sorry the condition I am referring to is:

Patellofemoral Syndrome with Osteoarthritis

So for my Left Knee Patellofemoral Syndrome with Osteoarthritis I should be at 10%. I couldn't find or I just don't know what the right knee plica syndrome will be under in the VASRD. My range of motion for right knee is:

Flexion[0-140] ROM- 110 degrees / Degree at pain-80

Thanks for all the great information to everyone who has replied on this thread! I really appreaciate it

10% due to painful motion of the knee (38 CFR §4.59)

Anything they took a ROM reading can have a specific rating according to VASRD, if it was annotated with pain you will receive minimum of 10%. Arthritis will usually have a minimum of 10% also.

Other conditions such as PTSD or GERD, will depend on the symptoms, which will also be listed in the VASRD.

ED will usually be a 0%, but will have a Special Monthly Compensation assigned to it, which will pay $100 extra to your VA Comp.

Post any other ROM readings or symptoms for a better estimate of what you might receive.