Just starting, 26 months later...

Hip-E7

Registered Member
I’ve been reading these posts for the past 2 years and I finally decided to post my own.

I’m a 15 year MSgt (Security Forces) in the Air Force Reserves (AGR). I had a total hip arthoplasty (replacement) in February of 2017 after years of pain, shots, and PT. My hip was bone on bone and developing spurs. I also have arthritis in my other hip. The surgery seemed successful for the first 6 months post op but it has been downhill ever since. I now live with a new pain in my hip and have developed a herniated disc in my back (L4-L5). My MTF is located on a Reserve base and this process seems like it’s taken forever. I was on a profile for a waist only test for the first six months and eventually worked my way up to a full component test (with the walk) at about the 18 month post-op mark, despite the pain I was in. I have never failed a test and did everything our MTF told me to do to try and meet the standards for retention. I was under the impression that I should have been evaluated 1 year after my surgery date but I waited almost 18 months before I was sent to an Active Duty MTF for my first military evaluation. Both Drs started they would make a recommendation for retention if I felt I could continue to do my daily duties. I concurred and was sent back to my base where I waited another 9 months for my MTF to submit my NARSUM to our MAJCOM (AFRC). Since then I have had multiple follow ups with my hip and back Drs. I have received several spinal epidural injections to try to alleviate the pain in my hip and back with no relief. The AFRC/SG denied my waiver request in less than a week and recommended an MEB starting I was unfit for retention base on my AFSC. My commander said he will advocate for my retention because I am in an administrative, non-deployable position. Is there anyone out here who has dealt with a similar situation with AFRC or the MEB process for an AGR? How long should I expect the process to take moving forward? Is there a chance I could be recommended for a cross train? Thanks for any advice or suggestions. All feedback is welcome!

Hip-E7

Registered Member
*I typed this on an IPad... I’m really not as illiterate as my post would lead you to believe.

Padgettra

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I’ve been reading these posts for the past 2 years and I finally decided to post my own.

I’m a 15 year MSgt (Security Forces) in the Air Force Reserves (AGR). I had a total hip arthoplasty (replacement) in February of 2017 after years of pain, shots, and PT. My hip was bone on bone and developing spurs. I also have arthritis in my other hip. The surgery seemed successful for the first 6 months post op but it has been downhill ever since. I now live with a new pain in my hip and have developed a herniated disc in my back (L4-L5). My MTF is located on a Reserve base and this process seems like it’s taken forever. I was on a profile for a waist only test for the first six months and eventually worked my way up to a full component test (with the walk) at about the 18 month post-op mark, despite the pain I was in. I have never failed a test and did everything our MTF told me to do to try and meet the standards for retention. I was under the impression that I should have been evaluated 1 year after my surgery date but I waited almost 18 months before I was sent to an Active Duty MTF for my first military evaluation. Both Drs started they would make a recommendation for retention if I felt I could continue to do my daily duties. I concurred and was sent back to my base where I waited another 9 months for my MTF to submit my NARSUM to our MAJCOM (AFRC). Since then I have had multiple follow ups with my hip and back Drs. I have received several spinal epidural injections to try to alleviate the pain in my hip and back with no relief. The AFRC/SG denied my waiver request in less than a week and recommended an MEB starting I was unfit for retention base on my AFSC. My commander said he will advocate for my retention because I am in an administrative, non-deployable position. Is there anyone out here who has dealt with a similar situation with AFRC or the MEB process for an AGR? How long should I expect the process to take moving forward? Is there a chance I could be recommended for a cross train? Thanks for any advice or suggestions. All feedback is welcome!
Hip-E7, Sorry to hear of your medical issues. I riddled a similar months ago and the answer is that the full and complete AFSC military standards need met for retention. In this case, I will have to yield to the doctor about the MEB. Cross training should not, and I think is prohibited, once in the MEB process. I was in a similar situation working at a State HQ as an administrative officer, yet my AFSC was 38F which included many other duties, and also in a non-mobility position. I was found unfit and MEB'd. Best of luck to you as you navigate the MEB and AGR process. Ron P

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">