Just Starting Med Board Process

crharvey76

PEB Forum Regular Member
Hello all,
I was just told I'm going to be med boarded due to a diagnosis of bipolar disorder not otherwise specified. I have a few questions. 1) Is this a for-sure disqualifier?? 2) What is a typical rating for such a disorder, if I'm on two types of meds constantly and go to frequent outpatient treatment? And finally, I've heard a lot of rumors about the timeline. How long will I probably have to wait until I get the IPEB's findings, and how long after that until I get an out date, assuming that I accept the IPEB's findings right away? Thanks to any help any of you can give me.
Chad

littlehippie86

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Hello I am in the Air Force so I know our processes aren't exactly the same but I do have bipolar and I am going through the MEB process. As far as disqualifying it has a lot to do with medications and hospitalizations. But from what I have seen on this site and here at my base people with bipolar aren't usually retained unless its very mild form and they have the support of their command recommending they stay in. It could go either way though, I don't know your particular situation, so prepare yourself for all possible outocomes. Do you want to stay in? Typically bipolar seems to be rated at 10%-30% unless you have a severe form of the disorder with hallacinations and suicidal thoughts etc. There are links on here to the VARSD ratings look it up in the search bar. The process can take a long time depending on your command, your PEBLO, your doctor etc. The MEB portion took about 3 months for me and then it got sent to Texas for the IPEB which supposedly takes 2-3 months but the time can really vary. I wish you the best and if you need anything feel free to message me :)

cgfs3

Registered Member
hello, i'm also in the coast guard being med boarded for anxiety/panic disorder. Due to a history of bipolar in my family they ruled that out first but my HS1 told me that it was pretty much an automatic disqualification if I had it, might not be true in every situation but in most it is. The main thing they look at is if you can perform the duties of your billet. I was told the meb process in the coast guard takes anywhere from 6 months to 18 months. As far as the typical rating I was told to expect 10 or 20 percent, it wouldn't suprise me if bipolar is rated higher though, from my understanding it's a bit harder to control than anxiety disorder. Hope this helps

nlaw37

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Chad-
One thing you have to remember is the sheer fact of "how bad does it affect your job?" I mean if you're constantly being treated, and it is severe, the likelihood of you being med boarded is probable. Then, depending on how well you do your job, get along with your chain of command, etc. also helps. If you feel you put yourself, and others in danger due to your "status" and you want to be put out, that helps too. There are so many "possibilities" for everyone and if they want to be retained or put out. I was told with my issues of chronic pain in my back and legs, it was highly unlikely I would be able to fight it. However, I didn't want to fight it. Do not get me wrong, I loved the Army and MISS IT EVERYDAY. But the medical treatment I was receiving was horrible. The MTFs I frequented did not care at all and didn't diagnose me correctly. So, with that said, I was happy to see NEW doctors thru the VA. Now I have been diagnosed with multiple issues related to the pain I constantly spoke of with my PCMs. Which I wish I could SUE those who ignored my pains, or said I was a "faker". Now, I deal with mental issues because of that.

So, all in all, keep your head up. I wish you luck with whatever you wish to come out of your MEB/PEB. Keep us posted and in the loop and everyone here will assist you throughout the process. This site is a must for all going through the processes - since this process is not user friendly. We're all here for each other and Jason and the moderators are excellent with getting you a timely answer. Best of luck

Respectfully,
Nick Lawless

coastie83

PEB Forum Regular Member
I was also recently diagnosed with bipolar disorder, my biggest concern is that i don't have enough time in service. In July 2010 will be 2 years and i'm married with a 2 yr old daughter, can I still get VA compensation/GI Bill benefits. I haven't been briefed on the matter so i'm kinda clueless about how the MEB process is. I just started doing the research, because I know it's not a matter of if but when. I just want to be more knowledgeable of the situation.

robs42

PEB Forum Veteran
coastie,

yes you can apply for VA comp. if you are moving along w/the MEB and it appears that you will be found UNFIT, i would suggest you initiate you app w/the VA. the link is below my signature. remember Social Security is another option. i would also apply for SS around the same time, since both process's can be lenghty. if you have any questions or need any help, let me know. good luck and keep us posted.

coastie83

PEB Forum Regular Member
robs,
hey thanks for the feedback, well so far my package will be sent out by the end of the month, just waiting on a memo from my CO. Since my condition (bipolar) is disqualifying i was told to hear something back by the fall and get a discharge date around the beginning of 2011, it all depends on how many cases they have.
Also i heard that some people get the results back from the IPEB and get their disability rating, and then they do the VA claim and get a different rating. Is that possible and why?

crharvey76

PEB Forum Regular Member
Finally got my findings yesterday, nearly 14 months after being referred to the PDES system. The CG found me unfit with a 30% rating, placed on the TDRL with 50% retirement until permanent disposition. Now I have to wonder and worry about what's going to happen to me in 5 years, once my condition "stabilizes." The only bad outcome, I guess, would be returning to active duty after having been gone for 5 years and starting another career. Anyone know how likely that is?

coastie83

PEB Forum Regular Member
did u do your VA claim yet? and was the 30% from the IPEB the first offer or did u take it to a formal board?

crharvey76

PEB Forum Regular Member
I did my VA claim several years ago when I got out on Temporary Separation, and was rated at 10% for depression. I definitely plan to try to get that increased with the changes in diagnosis, medication, case history, etc. The 30% TDRL was the first offer from the IPEB. My lawyer and I are discussing requesting an informal reconsideration to change it to PDRL. I'm afraid that after the first 18 month review, if my meds haven't changed and I haven't had any breakdowns, they'll drop my rating to 10% and give me severance. That's kind of what the IPEB doc indicated he would do.

coastie83

PEB Forum Regular Member
Got my findings from the IPEB, I got 10% with severance pay for bipolar disorder witch I'm planning to take it to a formal board. I'm not gonna settle for less than 30%

gonefishn

Registered Member
I'm going through your exact situation...tdrl at 30% dropped back down to 10% after 5 years. Through the formal board did disability % get bumped back up to 30% or did you still get seperated w/ severance. Did you use CG Counsel or elect your own. If you elected your own how'd it go, how much did it cost? If you're still in the process good luck. Don't give up.

kalaborde

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hey yall, i'm a Coastie as well in the MEB process for Dysthymia(depressive disorder) and Generalized anxiety disorder with panic attacks. My MEB package was received 2 months ago in D.C and i haven't heard anything back since they recieved it. Can anyone help me with what to expect?

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">