script async src="//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js">

Knee Ratings/Potential Reconsideration

Lukedarius20

Registered Member
Friends,

I am in the MEB process and have just received my proposed rating. Of course, my QTC exam is very inaccurate. 10 of 12 pages have errors. The VA rated me at 10% for each knee. I do feel that this is very "under-rated" (I have severe arthritis in both knees, and have had 6 surgeries to attempt cartilage repair with no luck). I have had several appointments with my orthopedic surgeon and he is in agreement that the DBQ is not accurate. Would it be beneficial to have my surgeon fill out a DBQ? Or would it be better to upload documentation explaining the symptoms/severity in hopes of an increase in rating for knees only?

Guardguy11

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Mobility issues are really difficult to get a good rating on. Having your surgeon fill out a DBQ and submitting that as evidence for VARR will definitely help, but it's not guaranteed.

Lukedarius20

Registered Member
Mobility issues are really difficult to get a good rating on. Having your surgeon fill out a DBQ and submitting that as evidence for VARR will definitely help, but it's not guaranteed.
Thank you for the good info and timely response!
I would really like to get to the 30% threshold for retirement eligibility benefits since my knees are going to be an ongoing problem. Would a diagnosis of ankylosis in both knees potentially get me there for knees? Or what would you recommend to submit for higher rating increase?

Guardguy11

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Thank you for the good info and timely response!
I would really like to get to the 30% threshold for retirement eligibility benefits since my knees are going to be an ongoing problem. Would a diagnosis of ankylosis in both knees potentially get me there for knees? Or what would you recommend to submit for higher rating increase?
As far as ratings go, I would go to the site www.militarydisabilitymadeeasy.com

It will guide you what percentage of disability you can expect based on your ROM. I haven't looked at the joints and mobility VA schedule in a bit but I believe ankylosis to both knees should get you to 30%.

As for the higher rating question, I would use that website as well as the VA rating schedules to guide you. They are the proverbial line in the sand to make that judgement.