Last stages of PDBR??

tinker2cute

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Update on final stages. This morning hubby spoke with the V.A. they received his letter from DFAS on June 27th. Currently they said they are working with DFAS to calculate his debt and pack-pay. She said they are @ the stage where they are determining if he qualifies for CRDP. She said they are instructed to have this done by end of month..But could take as much as 3. She said they've frozen his pay until this is finished. (by that she meant, not given him the full 1875.00) she said that should start Sept 1st, with back pay coming within the next 90 days. (but again, she said they are trying to get all packets finished before Fiscal year ends) not sure if this helps anyone.

We thought we would receive an email or letter from DFAS but so far nothing. Also, when hubby last spoke to someone there, they were useless. If anyone has that section of an actual person who works on the packets can you please share? thank you

ChefSal54

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Update on final stages. This morning hubby spoke with the V.A. they received his letter from DFAS on June 27th. Currently they said they are working with DFAS to calculate his debt and pack-pay. She said they are @ the stage where they are determining if he qualifies for CRDP. She said they are instructed to have this done by end of month..But could take as much as 3. She said they've frozen his pay until this is finished. (by that she meant, not given him the full 1875.00) she said that should start Sept 1st, with back pay coming within the next 90 days. (but again, she said they are trying to get all packets finished before Fiscal year ends) not sure if this helps anyone.

We thought we would receive an email or letter from DFAS but so far nothing. Also, when hubby last spoke to someone there, they were useless. If anyone has that section of an actual person who works on the packets can you please share? thank you
Hi Tinker, how are you? May I ask who your husband spoke to at the VA and which one? I have my local VA and the 3 others I've been a patient at whom have all my records which will probably take a lot longer for them to obtain. Or did your husband call the main number? I'd love to see which VAs thru have collected records from already.

tinker2cute

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
We are in Missouri. Actually, it was through the PM method on the website. Online chat. At first she could not find anything. She kept saying he does not have an appeal open or an open case. Then she found it. That is how we found out when they got it. June 27th. All he was able to find out was they were deciding if he qualified for CRDP. He did not even ask about that. She just told him that. Also, when he first started trying to find answers, and spoke to DFAS, they said they are trying to get as many processed before end of fiscal year. Which does seem like something that they would try. Not sure what the cut off is, or how many of the packets or dates this means. Also, it seems every single branch is different. It seems the Army is moving the fastest. However, I doubt that has any thing to do with DFAS and the VA.

Also, we do find it strange that the VA said they got the letter on the 27th of June. DFAS said they got the letter on July 1st. So go figure...

tinker2cute

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
update for anyone who is still waiting on DFAS. Hubby spoke to them yesterday just to check on timelines and such. He actually spoke to someone who was helpful!

anyway, she said they got his orders and paperwork on July 21st, (even before we got the orders) They started processing them immediately. She said he should have the first check on the 1st of SEP. The back pay about 15 days after. she said they are looking @ a 45 day turn around. Now, I am not sure if that means every branch, or just Army. She said they did not have an amount total yet on back pay. She said to just keep a watch. I am assuming his LES? but on that I am just guessing.

Dusty

Registered Member
My stuff is still being "calculated" as well. I received my first disability from DFAS on the 1st of August. The VA finally contacted DFAS about a week ago to tell them I have already repaid my separation pay. My VA pay is about $300 less than my DFAS Army medical amount. I will receive the full VA amount tax free and the remainder to the total of my Army allotment. For illustration: I get $1800 from the Army and $1500 monthly from the VA. The Army amount is taxable and as of right now I don't get CRDP. The higher is the Army, so I get $1500 from the VA and the remaining $300 (to equal $1800 monthly total) I get from the Army. I pay tax only on the $300.

tinker2cute

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Dusty I have a question. Doug does not qualify for CRDP either. However, he is currently @ 80% with the V.A. 70% of that is NOT what he was medically discharged/retired for. Does he loose that and just get the 1800 total. Or will he get Army medical then the difference from VA then a VA check for the 70% that he was awarded strictly from the VA? We are both very confused on this.

ChefSal54

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
My stuff is still being "calculated" as well. I received my first disability from DFAS on the 1st of August. The VA finally contacted DFAS about a week ago to tell them I have already repaid my separation pay. My VA pay is about $300 less than my DFAS Army medical amount. I will receive the full VA amount tax free and the remainder to the total of my Army allotment. For illustration: I get $1800 from the Army and $1500 monthly from the VA. The Army amount is taxable and as of right now I don't get CRDP. The higher is the Army, so I get $1500 from the VA and the remaining $300 (to equal $1800 monthly total) I get from the Army. I pay tax only on the $300.

I have a new question, I was at 10% with severance pay from the Coast Guard. About 18 months later I was rated at 20% from the VA. Now 9 years later, I'm at 80%. My question is if I get any percentage increase, how will they rate the back pay? If I'm at 80% and rated at 30% from the pdbr will they prorate my pay from when I was rated lower than 30% from the VA? This probably doesn't make any sense lol

Dusty

Registered Member
Dusty I have a question. Doug does not qualify for CRDP either. However, he is currently @ 80% with the V.A. 70% of that is NOT what he was medically discharged/retired for. Does he loose that and just get the 1800 total. Or will he get Army medical then the difference from VA then a VA check for the 70% that he was awarded strictly from the VA? We are both very confused on this.
From what I understand, they automatically opt to award the untaxed amount from the VA first, then, if the Army cash amount is higher, you get the remaining amount to equal that higher amount from the Army. They don't differentiate between what the payments are for; they strictly care about the payment totals. Let's say the Army amount is lower than the payment awarded by the VA, you'd only get the VA amount in its entirety, and you wouldn't get a payment from the Army.

Also, whatever services you are entitled to according to your percentages you get access to, no matter how little money you see. Services are services and pay is up to the highest using the VA amount as the starting amount and the Army paying up to the higher total.

I hope that makes sense!

I have a new question, I was at 10% with severance pay from the Coast Guard. About 18 months later I was rated at 20% from the VA. Now 9 years later, I'm at 80%. My question is if I get any percentage increase, how will they rate the back pay? If I'm at 80% and rated at 30% from the pdbr will they prorate my pay from when I was rated lower than 30% from the VA? This probably doesn't make any sense lol
Is the money amount from the CG higher than the VA? If not, you won't get anything; you'll just get the privilege benefits of a full military retirement at 30%.

Let's say: Talking strictly dollars... You initially get $10 monthly from the Coast Guard when you get discharged, and $50 from the VA. So the higher of the two amounts is the $50 from the VA, so the Coast Guard doesn't pay you anything, you simply collect the non-taxable $50 from the VA because it's the higher amount. And you can't collect both because you don't qualify for CRDP. Then, 18 months later, you get a PDBR decision to bump your pay to $30 from the CG ... the thing is, that amount still doesn't exceed the $50 you've already been getting from the VA. So, all you continue to get is the non-taxable $50 from the VA.

I'm not a pro, this is just what I understand to the best of my knowledge.

jdelatorre

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I sent out my DD2656 on July 26th with certified and notification when it gets delivered. sent it to the address as per the packet instructions. I am still seeing a 2 August pending delivery status for the packet. So I have no idea if it has been delivered to DFAS. I read somewhere in the forums (cant find the link) where the address provided in the packet was wrong? Is this True? Is there a way to find out if they got the DD2656 or am I in limbo. @tinker2cute who did your husband contact at DFAS to check on status of finance. I really don't want to wait 3-6 months to find out my packet never got there.

tinker2cute

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I will post the correct address. It does NOT go to KY it is suppose to be mailed to IN. I will post the address in the morning. Hubby has it at his office. He just called DFAS. I will also post the promps. He has those there too.

jdelatorre

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I will post the correct address. It does NOT go to KY it is suppose to be mailed to IN. I will post the address in the morning. Hubby has it at his office. He just called DFAS. I will also post the promps. He has those there too.
thanks. I just checked my USPS tracking again and it is still in transit as of 2 august. I don't know if I have to send another copy or just let it stew. I am 6 hours ahead of ET so I have to wait till tomorrow to call DFAS. I want to say I received my second packet with orders on 6 July 18, with orders dated 22 June 18. so I have no idea how far along DFAS is with processing my pay account.

tinker2cute

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I would not wait. I would resend to correct address.

DFAS US Military Retired Pay
8899 East 56th Street
Indianapolis, IN 46249-1200

DFAS # 1-888-332-7411
promps 5-3-5-1
or you can also use
5-3-5-2

When my husband was @ the retirement office on post the lady said the address was wrong, that KY is closed. He called Mr. Al and he confirmed. It needs to go to IN not KY

Hope this info helps

RonG

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
The Defense Finance and Accounting Service’s address changed effective May 1, 2017. The old addresses have been discontinued and replaced by addresses in Indianapolis. The new addresses are:

For retirees:

Defense Finance and Accounting Service

U.S. Military Retired Pay

8899 E 56th Street

Indianapolis IN 46249-1200

Ron

jdelatorre

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Yeah I just got off the phone with DFAS. They told me the same thing. Now I have to find where my packet is and get it back or recreate the packet. It’s been in limbo with the postal service since Aug 2. No way to know where it is or if it’s coming back To me.

RonG

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Per DFAS, they would forward mail to the Indianapolis address until May 2018.

“The old PO Boxes in London, KY, will remain open and all mail will be forwarded to the new address for one year. However, sending mail to the old address will add three to five days to the normal processing time. The telephone and fax numbers are not changing.”

As noted earlier, the address changed in May 2017.

Ron

ka7811b

Registered Member
My packet was returned to sender. After realizing the mistake, I used one of the copies that I made of my packet, got a new signature on my DD2656, and overnighted it to the correct address. About a week later my original packet was returned to me.

This is a disappointing oversight by the Army since the incorrect address is listed in my packet twice. Both on the information sheet that appears to be printed from an intranet site, and on the letter that the Deputy Sec of the Army sent me.

Trapper

Registered Member
Hello everyone. My name is Chris. This is my first post here. I have spent the last 2 days reading as much on this forum that my 2 kids and wife would allow me too. ;) There is alot of amazing information on this forum and this particular thread.

First off, Congrats to everyone that has gotten their retirement decisions.

I guess I really do not have any specific questions just yet, I just wanted to introduce myself and let everyone know that I mailed my packet in to the PDBR yesterday (8/7/18). I guess here comes my waiting game.

So my timeline:
-I got out of the Marine Corps in August of 2006.
-Sometime around April of 2017 I received my letter from the PDBR saying that I was possibly eligiable for a medical retirement. I sat on this packet until this month because I asked a few of my buddies and they told me that I had to repay my severance pay back in full before they would even consider looking at my packet. Sadly, I have no idea if I have paid my severance back yet or not. I am not sure who to ask about that either. Finally I spoke to a Warrior Transition person on Ft. Carson and she said that was completely wrong and I could file at any time. So I finally got everything together and sent it off yesterday.

I think it is safe to assume that I have plenty of time to do more research regarding how this will all work with the Marine Corps.

Good luck with everyone's process moving forward.

tinker2cute

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Welcome Chris. To find out what you still owe, just contact the VA and they will send you a form with the balance. I hate that you were given such bad advice. Good luck and God speed!

Perci75

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member

Looks like you should be receiving backpay for the difference you get in Mil retired pay and what you were receiving in VA? If so, did DFAS explain how this retro pay will work?

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">