I believe if we all do it within a few days of each other then they will know that we are united and it's not a single person issue. If everyone here is having this issue then what about those that do not even know about this forum?

Ron, these email address's are not public knowledge. I believe that emailing them while CCing our Reps/congressmen will scare them.
I sincerely hope everyone receives their pay in a timely manner and it is accurate.

As an individual who usually replied to the congressional inquires involving finance matters at several Army Finance offices (before the advent of DFAS), the threat or receipt of a congressional inquiry did not “scare” anyone in our operation.

Senators and Representatives cannot direct DFAS to change anything. On the other hand, if an error or inadvertence was found when I was on AD, we would take action to correct the matter. I am speaking of active duty military pay. This does not pertain to your situation, but in most of the cases I saw, payments had been made in accordance with law and the soldier did not like the outcome.

Military retired pay is processed by DFAS-Cleveland. Confusingly, their address is in Indianapolis and it was in London, KY until a year or so ago. This was the director of DFAS-Cleveland the last time I checked: https://www.dfas.mil/pressroom/dfasleadership/Robert_Edwards.html

“DFAS Cleveland personnel pay the operational expenses for the U.S. Navy and Marine Corps. The site provides pay support to 4 million people, including active duty, reserve and civilian employees of the Navy, Marine Corps, Department of Energy, Health and Human Services and the Broadcast Board of Governors, as well as military retirees and annuitants from all four Service branches. DFAS Cleveland processes over 70 percent of all DFAS disbursements totaling approximately $28 billion a month.”

The Director, Retired Pay was Jeff Presley a couple of years ago when DFAS made an error in my CRSC retro payment.

Good luck,
Ron

Last edited:
There is no Jeff Presley at either location. The issue is, by regulation of the PDBR the new account is suppose to be made within 30 days and all back pay owed within 90 days. The other issue is, most of the men and women here are owed between 8 and 12 years of back pay. I personally do not care how many people they service at either location. What I care about is when my husband or myself has owed a debt by god it’s tsken out and I put into the system within minutes....also the agent my husband spoke to flat out said the employees in that section are known not to care and do not work in a timely fashion.

As a veteran and as a GS employee I’m appalled. They are what’s wrong with the system. And they things are now I’m positive someone one that distro list WILL care. The last thing any government agency needs now is to be investigated because they are screwing veterans and their families. Oh wait....that’s why we’re all here, it was a systemic problem with the army and other branches just discharging soldiers/members without proper investigations and medical review. Nothing happened until people stood up. I don’t even care about the retirement back pay. What I care about is my husband being paid what is owed him and moving on with our life and putting the last 11 years behind us. Not one person here should have to wait more than 90 days for their pay. It’s unacceptable. Especially when the agent said “sir, you already have an account; it’s literally a key stroke”

I just went back to work 4 weeks ago in the Gs program I got to sit on the phone and they set up my dfas account literally while I was on the phone....(I’m in a remote spot not near a base) so if that’s all it takes then again something is wrong...

I don't have military global access so I don't have emails, but here are the two heads of the retirement sections in DFAS currently, in order of rank:

David E. McDermott, Deputy Director, Operations DFAS
Robert A. Edwards, Director, DFAS Cleveland
Melissa A. Sikora, Deputy Director, DFAS Cleveland

Last edited:
I don't have military global access so I don't have emails, but here are the two heads of the retirement sections in DFAS currently, in order of rank:

David E. McDermott, Deputy Director, Operations DFAS
Robert A. Edwards, Director, DFAS Cleveland
Melissa A. Sikora, Deputy Director, DFAS Cleveland
I’ll get email address’s when I get to work

Per telephone conversation this morning with a retired DFAS-Cleveland employee (and friend), the new Director, Military Retired Pay, is:

Roland Wadge, Retired Navy Captain (06).

The info provided earlier regarding DFAS-Cleveland was copied from a DFAS site. It was furnished to merely show retired pay remains in Cleveland. I too, am not interested in how many accounts they have or the expenditures.

Summary:
Robert Edwards, Dir, DFAS-Cleveland
Roland Wadge, Dir, Military Retired Pay (in Cleveland)

Ron

Soo I have some information that could help folks understand their upcoming retirement pay.
-
So I called on Thursday, expecting to get the same lame ass answer(nothing has been done to my account), I got a wonderful gentleman, Mr. Will. He dug deep and saw that they closed my account on 1 October 18. I will be receiving $734.00 -estimate. There was no worksheet for my retro, but he said to call back on the 11 Oct 18, hopefully, I get him again to find out that amount. What he didn’t tell me was will my disability go down now? I’m getting 90% with 3 dependents, is that $700 from my disability (VA)

-
I called the VA Friday and they stated that I have concurrent retirement pay since I have more than 50% (90% VA)on either I can receive both. I am also entitled to retro pay as far as 2004 ( i got out in 2007, so I am good) to the time I got an increase to 50% or more. (2015) It states I should receive the retro pay 30-60 days from the 1st check I get for my retirement.

I hope this helps.

Soo I have some information that could help folks understand their upcoming retirement pay.
-
So I called on Thursday, expecting to get the same lame ass answer(nothing has been done to my account), I got a wonderful gentleman, Mr. Will. He dug deep and saw that they closed my account on 1 October 18. I will be receiving $734.00 -estimate. There was no worksheet for my retro, but he said to call back on the 11 Oct 18, hopefully, I get him again to find out that amount. What he didn’t tell me was will my disability go down now? I’m getting 90% with 3 dependents, is that $700 from my disability (VA)
I called the VA Friday and they stated that I have concurrent retirement pay since I have more than 50% (90% VA)on either I can receive both. I am also entitled to retro pay as far as 2004 ( i got out in 2007, so I am good) to the time I got an increase to 50% or more. (2015) It states I should receive the retro pay 30-60 days from the 1st check I get for my retirement.
I hope this helps.
1. Your disability retired pay should be the DOD percentage approved (example75%) x the average of the highest 36 months of basic pay divided by 36 OR your years of AD x 2.5% x the average of the highest 36 months of basic pay divided by 36–whichever is more.
2. You will waive/lose retired pay dollar for dollar in the amount of VA Compensation received.
3. IF you also qualify for a regular retirement (i.e., 20 years or more AD); CRDP will restore the waived retired pay not to exceed the dollar amount of the longevity portion of your retirement.
4. IF item 3 applies to your case, any residual retired pay (left over from the waiver) would cause the CRDP to be reduced so that the combination of CRDP + residual retired pay would not exceed the dollar amount of the longevity portion of retirement.
5. IF your service qualified you for a reserve retirement, you would not be eligible for CRDP until you met the age requirement for reserve retirement.
6. In any case, the VA will pay the full amount of VA compensation.

Ron

-

-

I hope this helps.

Did DFAS tell you when you should start receiving your monthly retirement pay?

1. Your disability retired pay should be the DOD percentage approved (example75%) x the average of the highest 36 months of basic pay divided by 36 OR your years of AD x 2.5% x the average of the highest 36 months of basic pay divided by 36–whichever is more.
2. You will waive/lose retired pay dollar for dollar in the amount of VA Compensation received.
3. IF you also qualify for a regular retirement (i.e., 20 years or more AD); CRDP will restore the waived retired pay not to exceed the dollar amount of the longevity portion of your retirement.
4. IF item 3 applies to your case, any residual retired pay (left over from the waiver) would cause the CRDP to be reduced so that the combination of CRDP + residual retired pay would not exceed the dollar amount of the longevity portion of retirement.
5. IF your service qualified you for a reserve retirement, you would not be eligible for CRDP until you met the age requirement for reserve retirement.
6. In any case, the VA will pay the full amount of VA compensation.

Ron

I will not lose any monies from the VA. I will receive my full 90% VA check.

I would like to first start my saying THANK YOU for everyone providing on my post all the information that you are going thru to help others and myself go thru this long process. I wanted us to share our story because other blogs or post stop sharing after they receive money or after they receive their ID cards.
I also notice that others post information that I can CLEARLY get off the internet, or DFAS site. That doesn't help!!!!! Every one is different and everyone is going thru the process differently.

I will continue to share my process til the day the check hits my account and will let all of you know how it happen til the very end.

I will repeat what i posted early about what took place between me, the VA, and dfas.

I REPEAT, I WILL RECEIVE ALL MY MONIES. RETIREMENT AND VA DISABILITY ACCORDING TO VA.

-

-

I hope this helps.

I filed for PDBR on 21 February 2017.
I was discharged 10% w/severance pay through the Army. Mine was Combat related. VA rated me 50% for same rating a couple months after discharged. Then upgraded to 70%.
I filed a couple of weeks right after you.
I wish you both the very best of luck. "If" the MEB/PEB handle and most importantly documented the right way, it's a pretty easy decision for ARBA. I'm going to warn both of you now to temper expectation, if ANYTHING looks out of place they WILL NOT investigate. Maybe it's a competence thing or a workload thing, but anything that may require a bit of logic is NOT being done by ARBA. The odd thing is, they're "assuming" the MEB/PEB was done appropriately when if that was the case, there wouldn't be a need for the PDBR. SMDH

Also, ARBA had may case for a long time before I got my actual decision back. It's the government...you just have to be patient.

Have a great day all!

-

I hope this helps.

So I have a question about this... Did you complete 20 years of active duty service, or less? I was under the impression that you can only get concurrent pay if you completed 20 years or if you were injured in direct combat?

I REPEAT, I WILL RECEIVE ALL MY MONIES. RETIREMENT AND VA DISABILITY ACCORDING TO VA.

1. --If you are a regular retiree (i.e., no disability pay involved and have 20 yrs AD), the statement by the VA would be accurate
because you would be eligible for CRDP since your VA rating appears to be >=50%. You would receive all your retired pay and VA compensation.

2. --IF you are a medical retiree and do not qualify for another retirement (in addition to the disability retirement); retired pay will be waived dollar for dollar in the amount of VA compensation received. CRDP (which restores waived retired pay) is not payable. You would be able to retain any residual retired pay (left over) after the VA offset.

3. --However, IF you are a medical retiree but also qualify for a regular retirement, the following will occur:

a.--Retired pay will be waived dollar for dollar in the amount of VA compensation received.
b.--CRDP will restore the amount of waived retired pay not to exceed the longevity portion of the retirement.
c. --Any residual retired pay left over after the waiver (item 1) will reduce the amount of CRDP payable. CRDP + residual retired pay can be no more than the dollar amount of the longevity portion of retired pay.

In all three scenarios above, the veteran continues to receive full VA compensation.

I used the conjunction "if" several times in this discussion since it is unclear to me your exact retirement status. Certain comments in other threads suggest a regular retirement; other comments suggest a medical retirement.

Ron

So I have a question about this... Did you complete 20 years of active duty service, or less? I was under the impression that you can only get concurrent pay if you completed 20 years or if you were injured in direct combat?
Mack,

CRDP is payable to those who have a 50% or more VA rating and...
--have a TERA retirement
or
--have a regular retirement (i.e., 20 years or more AD)
or
--have a reserve retirement (20 good years) and also attains the age requirement for RC retirement
or
--have a Ch 61 retirement (disability) AND also qualifies for a regular or reserve retirement (including age requirement for RC)

CRSC (not discussed in this thread):

To qualify for CRSC you must:
  • be entitled to and/or receiving military retired pay
  • be rated at least 10 percent by the Department of Veteran’s Affairs (VA)
  • waive your VA pay from your retired pay
  • file a CRSC application with your Branch of Service
Disabilities that may be considered combat related include injuries incurred as a direct result of:
  • Armed Conflict
  • Hazardous Duty
  • An Instrumentality of War
  • Simulated War
Ron

I will not lose any monies from the VA. I will receive my full 90% VA check.
Yes, no one loses any funds from the VA; it is never prorated. Of course if a retiree refused to accept VA compensation (i.e.,does not agree to waive retired pay in the amount of VA comp), there would be zero VA comp paid.

I think you might be confusing the receipt of VA with the law that pertains to CH 61 retirees (and certain other categories) which requires the waiver (loss) of retired pay dollar for dollar in the amount of VA compensation received. Example: If you are a CH 61 retiree and your retired pay is $1800 and your VA comp is $1700, you would waive $1700 of your retired pay.

This would result in monthly payments of: $1700 VA comp + $100 residual retired pay = $1800 per month

Eligibility for CRDP is discussed elsewhere in this thread today. Concurrent Retirement and Disability Pay (CRDP) allows military retirees to receive both military retired pay and Veterans Affairs (VA) compensation. https://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/disability/crdp.html There are certain limitations not discussed on the DFAS web site.

Ron