Good Morning Sailors, Soldiers, Airmen, and Marines. I have been absent for some time now but want to ask if anyone has anything they can offer this process.

I received an email for the PDBR stating that my case is going through the medical review followed by the adjudication process. I've been waiting for almost years now, I am on scheduled. If assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Congratulations on receiving orders..
Lol on his picture. He looks really happy.
Thank you for the new update. This means mine should be right behind his.

Really he gets to go to a retirement ceremony that’s awesome. I was told by others that I wouldn’t be able to if my case gets approved but I’d get the certificates. I’d definitely be interested. However my last duty Station was Ft. Bliss TX and no desire to go back there. I live in MI and have two combat tours with the 101st and it’s closer to my house then Bliss so I think it would be fitting.

I was denied retirement by the PDBR. I don't understand how others with the same disability get retired and I get rejected. I know this is happening to many of us. I have copies of board findings from the reading room awarding retirement to others for the same conditions I have. I am grateful for what I have with the VA but it is still very frustrating how we are treated and left in a system that awards retirement to some and not others. Is there a process to appeal this? Do we need to contact out congressmen? What do we do?

My Timeline
Aug 2005 Active duty Army Med discharge 20% with severance pay
June 2006 VA rate 70% (sleep apnea, Anxiety disorder, GERD, neck condition, shoulders, knees)
Jan 2017 requested VA increase for neck condition (Spinal stenosis, degen disk C5/C6, and radiculopathy)
Feb 2017 Disk fusion
Feb 2017 VA increased to 90% for neck
Feb 2017 My PDBR case was submitted to Air force review board in San Antonio.
I never received a packet, email, letter or any form of correspondence from the board.
Dec 2017 I emailed PDBR USAF PENTAGON asking for a status update on claim.
Dec 2017 revived email with PD-2017-#### and was given the basic rundown of the process.
May 2019 requested status via email. Response was Records collection phase
Aug 2019 requested status via email. Response was final PDBR processing which includes an administrative review and final PDBR signature.
Oct 2019 requested status via email. Response was forwarded to the Army for final determination.
Oct 2019 spoke to Army HRC and was told my packet was still with ARBA and I should call them for a status update.
Nov 2019 Currently trying to contact ARBA via email and phone.
Feb 2020 100% VA ( increase on PTSD, GERD and Knees)
Aug 2020 denial email.

Last edited:
I was denied retirement by the PDBR. I don't understand how others with the same disability get retired and I get rejected. I know this is happening to many of us. I have copies of board findings from the reading room awarding retirement to others for the same conditions I have. I am grateful for what I have with the VA but it is still very frustrating how we are treated and left in a system that awards retirement to some and not others. Is there a process to appeal this? Do we need to contact out congressmen? What do we do?

My Timeline
Aug 2005 Active duty Army Med discharge 20% with severance pay
June 2006 VA rate 70% (sleep apnea, Anxiety disorder, GERD, neck condition, shoulders, knees)
Jan 2017 requested VA increase for neck condition (Spinal stenosis, degen disk C5/C6, and radiculopathy)
Feb 2017 Disk fusion
Feb 2017 VA increased to 90% for neck
Feb 2017 My PDBR case was submitted to Air force review board in San Antonio.
I never received a packet, email, letter or any form of correspondence from the board.
Dec 2017 I emailed PDBR USAF PENTAGON asking for a status update on claim.
Dec 2017 revived email with PD-2017-#### and was given the basic rundown of the process.
May 2019 requested status via email. Response was Records collection phase
Aug 2019 requested status via email. Response was final PDBR processing which includes an administrative review and final PDBR signature.
Oct 2019 requested status via email. Response was forwarded to the Army for final determination.
Oct 2019 spoke to Army HRC and was told my packet was still with ARBA and I should call them for a status update.
Nov 2019 Currently trying to contact ARBA via email and phone.
Feb 2020 100% VA ( increase on PTSD, GERD and Knees)
Aug 2020 denial email.
I'm so sorry to hear this. I do have a question for you. Were you rated at 30% or higher from the VA(within 12 months) for the same condition you were medically separated? I ask because NVSLP may be able to assist. I'll have to see if they do any kind of appeals.

From my understanding after going through the Board of Corrections if they don’t find in favor your next and final option is to appeal to the Federal Court of Claims of Jurisdiction.

I’m new here, but read through all the post. I emailed the AF that I sent my PBDR to asking for an update. They advised their recommendation was sent to the Army in May of 2020. Who do I contact for info from the army? The number posted for Mr. Al goes straight to the voicemail that said the mailbox doesn’t accept messages.

My background, sorry I didn’t post it 1st:

I was stationed with 25th from 2002 to 2006. In 2004, I suffered a GSW to the head while deployed to Iraq. The 7.62 went in my right cheek and exited left temple area. Thankfully I look normal with the exception of scars. I have dental implants, rebuilt roof on my mouth and sinuses, and a titanium jaw bone. I suffer mainly from total hearing loss in left ear, ptsd, and headaches. The army said 10%. I started at 80% with the VA, but has increased to 100% a little over a year ago. I had already paid back $15k of my $21k severance pay before the increase. After the increase, I was told I owe another $15k for severance because the combined 2 of my disabilities. They’d been collecting it for 8 months now and I don’t understand their math. I’ve appealed it with no win and no real explanation.

I sent my PBDR in in 2017 and forgot about it until I was looking through my paperwork and found a copy of it.

I’m new here, but read through all the post. I emailed the AF that I sent my PBDR to asking for an update. They advised their recommendation was sent to the Army in May of 2020. Who do I contact for info from the army? The number posted for Mr. Al goes straight to the voicemail that said the mailbox doesn’t accept messages.
They do not answer the phones now every since COVID they only way you can check on the status of your case with ABCMR is via the following email; [email protected] be sure to give them your PDBR case number and explain that they told you it was forwarded to the Army and your trying to find out the status. Good luck the responses are generally generic and state your case is in the final states of processing once a decision is rendered you will be notified by mail. The board is extremely backlogged due to the high influx of cases yadda, yadda, yadda. It’s hurry up and wait. It’s been six months since my advisory opinion and rebuttal was submitted and still nothing. I’ve been at them since 2017 ‍♂️

I'm so sorry to hear this. I do have a question for you. Were you rated at 30% or higher from the VA(within 12 months) for the same condition you were medically separated? I ask because NVSLP may be able to assist. I'll have to see if they do any kind of appeals.
Hello I’m new to the forum but I was hoping to get some help

Just to give you my background.

I was separated in April 2002 for personality disorder, Which didn’t exist, I was diagnosed with MDD and PTSD by VA in October 2016 100% P/T.

I contacted NVLSP in 2016 they were kind enough to be me in touch with a pro Bono attorney who is awesome!

December 2018 the Army Medical Review board confirmed they received my application and evidence (put together by my attorney)

October 2019 my attorney asked for status update and we were told a Medical Advisory would be needed. I nor my attorney received a copy of it. I don’t know if it was completed or if hearing nothing about it is a good thing.

February 2021 my attorney told me to do an congressional inquiry which received an almost immediate response from the Army medical review board stating that my case is “under-going post board reviews” I don’t know what that means.

March 2021 my attorney emailed the board for an update this was the response “
Ma'am,

I cannot provide a specific timeline for completion, but can assure you that the case is being processed as quickly as possible.

You and your client will be notified directly once a decision has been rendered and finalized. Again, we appreciate your patience during this process.

Very respectfully,

Customer Service Representative/cb
Army Review Boards Agency
251 18th Street South, Suite 385
Arlington VA 22202”

I have a POC (just a nice lady who was willing to help) at the PDBR who said my case hasn’t reach her office yet, but it could possibly be there but not entered yet to be worked.

Does anyone have any experiences with the board dealing with wrongly diagnosed personality disorder cases that have turned to medical retirement?

Any help given is appreciated

I was separated in April 2002 for personality disorder, Which didn’t exist, I was diagnosed with MDD and PTSD by VA in October 2016 100% P/T.

I contacted NVLSP in 2016 they were kind enough to be me in touch with a pro Bono attorney who is awesome!

December 2018 the Army Medical Review board confirmed they received my application and evidence (put together by my attorney)

October 2019 my attorney asked for status update and we were told a Medical Advisory would be needed. I nor my attorney received a copy of it. I don’t know if it was completed or if hearing nothing about it is a good thing.

February 2021 my attorney told me to do an congressional inquiry which received an almost immediate response from the Army medical review board stating that my case is “under-going post board reviews” I don’t know what that means.

Ma'am,

I cannot provide a specific timeline for completion, but can assure you that the case is being processed as quickly as possible.

You and your client will be notified directly once a decision has been rendered and finalized. Again, we appreciate your patience during this process.

Very respectfully,

Arlington VA 22202”

I have a POC (just a nice lady who was willing to help) at the PDBR who said my case hasn’t reach her office yet, but it could possibly be there but not entered yet to be worked.

Does anyone have any experiences with the board dealing with wrongly diagnosed personality disorder cases that have turned to medical retirement?

I received an advisory opinion a year ago this month and sent a rebuttal. That post review board canned message I feel is a generic message as I received that in June of last year then Sept last year they said it was prepping for Boarding and as of February I’m back in post review board status. I’ve been handling this myself I reached out to NVSLP before and they were of no assistance my attorney that I retained for my VA isn’t of assistance. I’ve done several congressionals and still same generic answers. I hope for the four years it has taken thus far that at least it’s favorable but I don’t hold my breath with the Army. Just the reality.

I received an advisory opinion a year ago this month and sent a rebuttal. That post review board canned message I feel is a generic message as I received that in June of last year then Sept last year they said it was prepping for Boarding and as of February I’m back in post review board status. I’ve been handling this myself I reached out to NVSLP before and they were of no assistance my attorney that I retained for my VA isn’t of assistance. I’ve done several congressionals and still same generic answers. I hope for the four years it has taken thus far that at least it’s favorable but I don’t hold my breath with the Army. Just the reality.
I hope it works out the way it should for you

Ma'am,

Very respectfully,

Arlington VA 22202”

Who is the POC and how can others call her?