LDES vs IDES

PowertotheJ

Registered Member
So I was just informed that my case is being submitted for an MEB, and I now need to choose between the LDES and IDES. On the surface, LDES seems to make more sense for me for a couple reasons.

1. I’m hoping to be able to start going to school full time when the fall semester starts, and the LDES processes faster than the IDES
2. I’m only getting rated for one condition (Raynauds Phenomenon) and it’s noted in my NARSUM that the condition existed prior to service. This leads me to believe that going through the VA pipeline would be a waste of time if they just end up returning it as DUOT.
3. I have a plan upon separating and some money in savings, so having the potential disability money isn’t an immediate need.

I would just like some additional input as to whether or not a decision to go LDES makes sense or if I’m missing something. Thanks!

Guardguy11

Registered Member
So I was just informed that my case is being submitted for an MEB, and I now need to choose between the LDES and IDES. On the surface, LDES seems to make more sense for me for a couple reasons.

1. I’m hoping to be able to start going to school full time when the fall semester starts, and the LDES processes faster than the IDES
2. I’m only getting rated for one condition (Raynauds Phenomenon) and it’s noted in my NARSUM that the condition existed prior to service. This leads me to believe that going through the VA pipeline would be a waste of time if they just end up returning it as DUOT.
3. I have a plan upon separating and some money in savings, so having the potential disability money isn’t an immediate need.

I would just like some additional input as to whether or not a decision to go LDES makes sense or if I’m missing something. Thanks!
The Legacy DES is definitely faster, but to properly answer this question I need some more data. Have you been on active duty for 8 years or longer? If so, any condition you have has to be treated as In the Line Of Duty for the purposes of disability evaluation.

If you haven't done 8 years or more of active duty then the LDES may be a good fit for you. I would ensure that all conditions or issues you have now are properly documented in your medical records so you can go back to the VA after separation and make the proper claims so you can get the medical care afforded to you later on in life.

Brad

PowertotheJ

Registered Member
The Legacy DES is definitely faster, but to properly answer this question I need some more data. Have you been on active duty for 8 years or longer? If so, any condition you have has to be treated as In the Line Of Duty for the purposes of disability evaluation.

If you haven't done 8 years or more of active duty then the LDES may be a good fit for you. I would ensure that all conditions or issues you have now are properly documented in your medical records so you can go back to the VA after separation and make the proper claims so you can get the medical care afforded to you later on in life.

Brad
I’ve only have about three and a half years of service, so it sounds like LDES may be the way to go. My PEBLO said she’d be able to get me all of my records too, so that’s good. Also, for clarification, if I go LDES, will I not have any appointments with the VA while still in service, or will I still have appointments and just not wait to hear the final ratings before separating?

Guardguy11

Registered Member
I’ve only have about three and a half years of service, so it sounds like LDES may be the way to go. My PEBLO said she’d be able to get me all of my records too, so that’s good. Also, for clarification, if I go LDES, will I not have any appointments with the VA while still in service, or will I still have appointments and just not wait to hear the final ratings before separating?
I am going through that portion of the evaluation system myself so I can't give you any SA on the VA appointments.

My PEBLO made it sound like you could file a VA claim whenever you wanted but it will be completely independent of the military separation and you may have to duplicate appointments.

PowertotheJ

Registered Member
I am going through that portion of the evaluation system myself so I can't give you any SA on the VA appointments.

My PEBLO made it sound like you could file a VA claim whenever you wanted but it will be completely independent of the military separation and you may have to duplicate appointments.
Understood, thanks so much for the response and the help!

Tractirusa

Registered Member
I am in ANG with 20+ yrs and initial phases of MEB, Peblo not yet assigned. I am also 100% VA Combined rating SC. Will I have to go through the entire VA process again? I am a little lost lol

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">