Leave awaiting meb/peb results

Armydan

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I have a soldier that is being extended past his ETS until his board is completed. I coulda swore that i saw a thread about this, but I can't find it now. His ETS was March, and he is currently doing the paperwork for his second 3 month extension. If someone can confirm or deny or put up a link, that would be great. Thanks

Not sure about leave when extending past your ETS - but if you look at my profile <<-Clicky in the paragraph above the red highlighted area it explains I am currently undergoing an MEB/PEB process and should not take leave or go TDY without first consulting my PEBLO. I have taken 10 days of leave since my MEB/PEB process began and only called them on the first time. This was to ensure you were available should information come down that warrants and in person meeting. As such, my PEBLO said if it's local area leave don't worry about calling me.

v/r
Klam

Not sure about leave when extending past your ETS - but if you look at my profile <<-Clicky in the paragraph above the red highlighted area it explains I am currently undergoing an MEB/PEB process and should not take leave or go TDY without first consulting my PEBLO. I have taken 10 days of leave since my MEB/PEB process began and only called them on the first time. This was to ensure you were available should information come down that warrants and in person meeting. As such, my PEBLO said if it's local area leave don't worry about calling me.

v/r
Klam
My profile definitely doesn't mention anything about the leave. I think not being allowed to take leave is extreme for responsible adults. Maybe understandable for those lacking discipline or responsibility. I only recall brief mention of postponing leave at the PEBLO briefing. I am anticipating going on pass in a couple of months, however, I will be prepared to return if need be. I doubt that there are any circumstances that warrant a less than 8 hours notice, especially at my base. That's ample travel return time, I would think.

I have a soldier that is being extended past his ETS until his board is completed. I coulda swore that i saw a thread about this, but I can't find it now. His ETS was March, and he is currently doing the paperwork for his second 3 month extension. If someone can confirm or deny or put up a link, that would be great. Thanks

Hi Dan, Soldiers are extended all the time PAST ETS for MEB/PEB board action.... most units familiar with the process usually extend the orders for 6 months at a time..... not three. What's Your Question? :confused:

My profile definitely doesn't mention anything about the leave. I think not being allowed to take leave is extreme for responsible adults. Maybe understandable for those lacking discipline or responsibility. I only recall brief mention of postponing leave at the PEBLO briefing. I am anticipating going on pass in a couple of months, however, I will be prepared to return if need be. I doubt that there are any circumstances that warrant a less than 8 hours notice, especially at my base. That's ample travel return time, I would think.

Responsible adult or not, we both know the service doesn't always do things based on average adult, they do them based on the worst case scenario "adults". As far as the profile stating it and whatever Reg's you fall under (ie. Army, Air Force, Marines, Navy) the rules are still the same. When in MEB/PEB Status, no leave, without first consulting your PEBLO. THEY are the one's that need to know where you are and how to get a hold of you. If you take leave, that is not considered local area. 8 hrs is not in my opinion ample time, especially if they get your findings back, due to they have 1 day to notify you and have you sign that notification so they can begin the 10 days time you have if you are deciding upon challenging the findings. I only consulted them to ensure I was not in trouble with my leadership upon taking leave cause that's what the rules say. NOW, after that consult, my PEBLO said not to worry about it, especially with my leave being in the local area. BUT again, if I were going 8 hrs away, I would contact them to let em know a good number they could reach me at and where I was going. I especially wouldn't want to be out of area if my findings came back, cause sometimes the PEBLO's from things I've read here, will not tell you over the phone, cause they have to present them to you first so they can start the clock. I know it sucks, but better safe than sorry. Just consult with them when the time comes, and you will probably not have any issues.

v/r
Klam

Responsible adult or not, we both know the service doesn't always do things based on average adult, they do them based on the worst case scenario "adults". As far as the profile stating it and whatever Reg's you fall under (ie. Army, Air Force, Marines, Navy) the rules are still the same. When in MEB/PEB Status, no leave, without first consulting your PEBLO. THEY are the one's that need to know where you are and how to get a hold of you. If you take leave, that is not considered local area. 8 hrs is not in my opinion ample time, especially if they get your findings back, due to they have 1 day to notify you and have you sign that notification so they can begin the 10 days time you have if you are deciding upon challenging the findings. I only consulted them to ensure I was not in trouble with my leadership upon taking leave cause that's what the rules say. NOW, after that consult, my PEBLO said not to worry about it, especially with my leave being in the local area. BUT again, if I were going 8 hrs away, I would contact them to let em know a good number they could reach me at and where I was going. I especially wouldn't want to be out of area if my findings came back, cause sometimes the PEBLO's from things I've read here, will not tell you over the phone, cause they have to present them to you first so they can start the clock. I know it sucks, but better safe than sorry. Just consult with them when the time comes, and you will probably not have any issues.

v/r
Klam

How did we start talking aout leave? LOL, I musta missed something....hehehe :confused:

SO it was...... "priceless" :oops:
I guess I was thinking ...why in the world would you ever
extend anyone going thru this process for 3 months at a time
unless your admin section sits on there butts all day.... ;)

I have never had any problem taking leave during my 1300 days
in the process.... PEBLO'S email everything unless you request it
overnighted... have forwarded it to my JAG, Ombudsman, AW2..
I guess that's why it's called PLANNING.... but then again I worked for the J9 :D....LOL

It's not that he cannot take leave. I thought I read that some kind of admin leave was authorized if you were being extended past your ets for med board purposes. It might be only if you have been already found unfit. Perhaps it is permissive TDY. I read a lot my first day on the site so I might be confused. Thanks for the help.

It's not that he cannot take leave. I thought I read that some kind of admin leave was authorized if you were being extended past your ets for med board purposes. It might be only if you have been already found unfit. Perhaps it is permissive TDY. I read a lot my first day on the site so I might be confused. Thanks for the help.

"My" understanding of MEB/PEB Permissive Leave: Command does not have to approve it.
and It's for after your seperation date is established.... To look for housing, seek employment.
It's not.... hey your getting extended so here's some extra leave kind of deal while we wait on results..... ;)

PERMISSIVE TDY
Q. What is Permissive TDY?
A. Permissive TDY is given to involuntarily separated soldiers to assist in preparing for the transition
to civilian life.
Q. How much time am I eligible for?
A. Soldiers separating because of disability are generally eligible for 20 days of permissive TDY,
however, this is not an entitlement. Approval of permissive TDY is a command decision.
Q. When can I take Permissive TDY?
A. Permissive TDY is designed to be taken once the soldier has received their separation date. The
soldier can clear first, depart on permissive TDY, and not have to return to Fort Campbell. On the last day of permissive TDY, the Transition Point does the final processing and the DD Form 214 is mailed to the soldier.

Hope this helps..... GOOD LUCK :)

Thanks. I guess i was confused. Aint the first time , wont be the last.

I was in the same boat as your soldier. I was past my HYT and any leave I wanted had to be accepted by my PEBLO. The reason was so you would not miss any VA appointments or deadlines as far as the med board process went. If there was a long delay in one of the steps she could grant leave or deny if things "should" be happening soon. Basically he/she needs to coordinate with the PEBLO and they will say whether they can take leave. If in the local area then it's probably ok, if leaving the area it could be no.

With the permissive TDY can you take the rest of your leave with it or not?

found what I was looking for, it is Home Awaiting Orders. Too bad he doesn't qualify.

Back