Leaving PDRL

HopefulSailor

Registered Member
Hey everyone, I'm going through the med board process (back and a few other problems) and all of my providers and the other people I've spoken to say that I'll probably be going PDRL instead of TDRL. They just don't see it getting any better, that's how they've written their reports, etc. So it looks like that's the way I'm headed.
My question is whether or not there's a way to leave the PDRL and return to active duty further down the line should that happen and in the unlikely situation that my conditions improve? I doubt they will but I'd just like to know. I have 8 years in now and even though I have something lined up should I get the axe I enjoy the job enough that I'd like to have the hope of coming back to it one day. It's not a terribly physically demanding job but I'm sure that if I tried to return to duty that I'd have to pass all the enlistment/reenlistment standards.
Thanks for any info anybody out there can provide.

Hey Hopeful,

This is how that would work...

If you are now fine you could gather all of your documents and apply directly to the BCNR (Board for the Correction of Naval Records). Effectively you would fight a case stating that you were wrongfully placed on PDRL. If the BCNR agrees then one of three things could happen. First, your records could be changed to show that you are now fit. You would lose all benefits and retirement pay (not including VA compensation) and would recieve a letter much like from an IPEB or FPEB stating that your conditions are resolved. The second possibility is that your records are corrected to show that you are not permanently disabled and you get a reduced disability rating. That is to say, your headaches in fact stabalized and you get an unfit finding based on history. This could result in a lower than 30% rating and severance pay. The third possibility is that you are found fit, but something doesn't go right during your MEPs evaluation. In this event you lose benefits AND are out of the service.

Be sure to weigh all options. In my own case I am approaching 5 years on TDRL and did provide medical records during my latest evaluation stating and showing that I 1) was misdiagnosed by the Navy and 2) I have had no issues for 4-5 years. I could have kept my mouth closed and slid comfortably into PDRL... In my case, whether I get back in or not, my conscience won't allow me to take money for something that isn't justified.

Best of luck to you.

I have yet to see anyone who was PERMANENTLY medically retired be found FIT and attempt to come back on active duty. My suggestion would be just as LT_Jake mentioned...attempting to go the BCNR route.....long shot but worth a try. Hope all works out. If I can help, pls let me know. YNC(SW/AW), PERS-82, [email protected], 901-874-3230.

LT_Jake: I responded to one of your post as well somewhere in here.

The bottom line is if you are placed on the Retired List for physical unfitness you will be assigned a Reentry Code of RE-4. That is a non waivable disqualification for enlistment. No recruiter could touch you. Go to the BCMR/BCNR? For what error or injustice? Did you agree with the MEB? Did you agree with the PEB?? Did you demand a formal hearing and fight for COAD? Without such a track record you would have little to support a request to change your records.

Fitness is partly based on the specific MOS. So there could be an argument that you are fit for a different MOS or Service.

The other option is a cure/improvement of the unfititng condition.

Bear in mind that entrance standards are much tougher than retention standards. If one fails retention standards, it is hard to imagine they would pass entrance standards w/o some type of well documented cure/improvement in the condition.

Mike

AR 601-210

RE–4 Applies to: Person separated from last period of Service with a nonwaivable disqualification.

4–23. Nonwaivable disqualifying separations or discharges

h. Permanently retired by reason of physical disability.

Man, I really feel bad about not keeping up with this thread since I started it. This forum was invaluable to me when I was going through the whole process and I plan on doing more to answer other people's questions. It can be nerve-wracking.

But, here's my situation as of now, just in case anybody else is in the same boat. I did end up getting put on the PDRL instead of TDRL and I've been retired for over a year now. In that time I've managed through a combination of being very, very careful with my physical activity and a hell of a lot of gritting my teeth, managed to stay out of the system. No doctor's visits for the conditions I was retired for.

I have a comfortable civilian job in a field (computer programming) that I enjoy but I've started to wonder about going back on active duty. I've picked up some of the physical things and, although I think it's going to take some time from here, I'm cautiously optimistic that in 6-7 months I might be ready to head back in. Again, I could sit back and take it easy with the way things are, but I loved the Navy and although I didn't fight my discharge at the time because I was in way worse shape I'm starting to let myself feel confident about the possibility of going back. Only if I can prove to myself and anyone else that I'm physically ready. Back then I couldn't perform my job on shore or sea and I felt like a dirtbag to take up a slot that somebody else could fill but might get forced out of because I was still on the rolls.

My DD-214 listed my RE code as RE-2, not RE-4. That seems consistent with the fact that I was permanently retired and that I don't fall under any Army regulations. I'm a little bit hesitant about contacting a recruiter right now because I still need to ramp up to full physical readiness (my nightmare is getting back into the Navy but then having the same problems come back in a week or two) so I guess my question is about returning to active duty with an RE-2. Obviously I would prefer an RE-1 code but that's not in the cards for me.

I have gained a lot of work experience and a degree in my field so I'm starting to think about perhaps contacting a recruiter about OCS (again, only after I am well over 100% sure about my physical abilities. If I try to ramp up and things flare up again I never would). I know that the Navy has been in flux about recruitment / retention since I left around the time of the ERB, but does anyone know if it would even be worthwhile to contact a recruiter at this point for OCS or just returning to my enlisted job? Does anyone have any experience in that area and know the ropes?

Thanks in advance and I'm looking forward to helping people that are in the shoes I filled over a year ago. I remember a lot of late nights being stressed out and this forum being a big help so I'd like to give back if I can.