Let's say I am granted retirement by the board...

aafrer

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hello all! Sorry, I am full of questions and I can't get this off of my mind.

I was in the Air Force for 9 years and had to get out in 2005, as an E-5, due to a blood clot in my leg, believed to be cause from flying so frequently. I was awarded 10%.

Let's just say that when this process is all said and done, they grant me 30% retirement. What does this mean? I get back pay and monthly payments? Does anyone know a ballpark of what this would be or how I figure it out? I know when I got out, I made around $2200 a month.

Thank You!

Hello all! Sorry, I am full of questions and I can't get this off of my mind.

I was in the Air Force for 9 years and had to get out in 2005, as an E-5, due to a blood clot in my leg, believed to be cause from flying so frequently. I was awarded 10%.

Let's just say that when this process is all said and done, they grant me 30% retirement. What does this mean? I get back pay and monthly payments? Does anyone know a ballpark of what this would be or how I figure it out? I know when I got out, I made around $2200 a month.

1. Computation: High three average of base pay x 30% = Retired Pay @ 30%
The high-36 method is the average of the highest 36 months of basic pay divided by 36. This is generally the last 3 years of service and is sometimes called high-3. For back pay, there will be multiple computations due to COLA increases.

2. If you receive VA compensation, your retired pay will be reduced dollar for dollar in the amount of VA compensation received.

3. If you are eligible for Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC), you could receive a replacement for some or all waived retired pay upon approval by your service. See https://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/disability/crsc.html

Ron