Letter of exception???/

italianguy4

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
hey everyone im kind of curious how much pull does your letter of exception play in your outcome? i dont really know what the point is since what the boards decision is going to mostly be based on medical records doctor rec. and commander rec. anyways any input would be great =) thanks

rebelblue

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
well, I don't know how much difference it plays. But if there is something that may not be clear, or something you disagree with in your commanders letter or elsewhere, it might be worth your time to do one. It could also be used to better highlight the effect your condition has on your work. Example....you have been moved to a desk job because you can no longer do your "normal job". But you can do the desk job fine. And your commander's letter states that you can do your "current" (i.e. desk) job fine, with little to no mention of former assigned afsc/mos job. I would (and did) use this letter to highlight this. Also use it to highlight if commander's letter says you desire to stay in/separate and you desire otherwise. Also use if there is something in your meb package that is not clear...I acquired my disease (asthma) while deployed to afghanistan. (NO deploying does not necessarily CAUSE asthma....but one does have to have just the right genetic mix and environmental mix to trigger it....and apparently me and afghanistan was the right mix...). My Post deployment health return assessment survey mentioned health issues but did not go in depth enough so I also addressed the frequent, lengthy smoke exposures I experienced from the burn pits over there while working on the flight line.

Things to remember, keep it short, professional, and for the most part job/mission oriented. And have someone like the ADC review it for corrections. It just might make the difference between 10% and 30% rating....

dubber25

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Was the letter of exception from your CC? I had a letter of eception from my CC that was directly quoted on my rating received from the board.

What branch of service are you in? The AF is downsizing at the moment so the letter of exception was the final nail the IPEB needed to decided not to retain me.

Do you want to stay in or get out. The letter of exception will definitely help if you want to seprate since the IPEB places a lot of emphasis on your CC's input.

rebelblue

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Oh, i just thought that he was talking about the letter of exceptions that the member gets to do to sort of plead their case. It goes in standard Memorandum format on unit letterhead with JOE D. AIRMAN, SSgt, USAF signature block at the bottom....

Up to the individual if they do one. Best bet is keep it short and use to clarify anything needed in med records or commanders letter. Was told by PEBLO it sometimes makes difference in ratings percentages. But depends on how well the exemption is written and addresses the issues. Keep as much as possible to how the condition affects work (explaining/clarifing above and beyond what med records and commandors letters do).

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">