Leukemia within 1 yr of separation

goflymike

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hey everyone- a buddy of mine got diagnosed with Leukemia within 6 months of being separated from the AF. I know the VA will rate him (since its on their Presumptive List) but will he also be rated by the DoD? Do they also have a 1 year 'assumed responsibility' like the VA? Trying to find out if his treatment can be covered. Thanks for the input.

gsfowler

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
If your buddy was medically separated, there is a possibility of requesting a discharge upgrade with the DoD. There is no such thing as a "one year rule" as far as DoD is concerned. We would need to know more details to suggest a course of action to take.

goflymike

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm pretty sure he just had a traditional separation. He might have gotten a few % from VA but nothing significant. Ill double check with him when I get a chance. As far as the VA side, is the best place to start by filling a claim on Vets.gov?

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">