Life during TDRL or Separation

Rjmish7

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Good Afternoon everyone,

I am not sure if this is related to Navy PEB at all. But i would just like to reach out to anyone who are or have or are experience or have some sort of knowledge in regards. I will be retiring soon under TDRL and i am just kinda nervous how the future holds. I have heard of people going to TDRL but got transferred to PDRL less than the 36 months of how normally what they stated they are going to review you. I have heard some got transferred within 6 months being TDRL, some a year or 18 months etc. I wanted to know how does the military or navy in my case decide that? Also, how do we ensure that we get transferred to PDRL? I have been in the Navy, Corpsman(HM) rating for almost 15 years and was med boarded for PTSD(combat). Is it something that we should get seen our doctors every week, every month, etc. What are the elements that plays into ensuring my PDRL?

Lastly, what are financial aids or help for us out there available? While being separated in the military?, just to help us get our feet together for the first year or two upon separation for example things such my friend recommended like EBT cards for groceries. Thank you everyone for your help and advice.

RJ

Good Afternoon everyone,

I am not sure if this is related to Navy PEB at all. But i would just like to reach out to anyone who are or have or are experience or have some sort of knowledge in regards. I will be retiring soon under TDRL and i am just kinda nervous how the future holds. I have heard of people going to TDRL but got transferred to PDRL less than the 36 months of how normally what they stated they are going to review you. I have heard some got transferred within 6 months being TDRL, some a year or 18 months etc. I wanted to know how does the military or navy in my case decide that? Also, how do we ensure that we get transferred to PDRL? I have been in the Navy, Corpsman(HM) rating for almost 15 years and was med boarded for PTSD(combat). Is it something that we should get seen our doctors every week, every month, etc. What are the elements that plays into ensuring my PDRL?

Lastly, what are financial aids or help for us out there available? While being separated in the military?, just to help us get our feet together for the first year or two upon separation for example things such my friend recommended like EBT cards for groceries. Thank you everyone for your help and advice.

RJ
I don't have a lot of answer but wanted to comment on the fact that you should have a TDRL exam schedule before your TDRL time limit ends. So if you don't have an exam don't sit around waiting for them to call. You won't automatically be retired PDRL. People have lost their retirement by the time limit expiring without a final exam. So make sure you have one scheduled. if you are 6-12 months of hitting that time limit reach out to them ASAP!

Hello @Rjmish7

Assuming you will be placed on the TDRL...

1. Since your number of years active duty (15) equates to less than the minimum TDRL percentage for retired pay, your multiplier will be at least 50% for retired pay on the TDRL.

2. Your retired pay: At least 50% x average high three base pay = your TDRL retired pay

3. Your retired pay will be reduced dollar for dollar in the amount of your VA compensation.

4. If you have combat related disabilities, you could be eligible for Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC) which replaces some or all of the retired pay lost at item 3.
Here is a link to a collection of CRSC info: Contemporary CRSC Information--Also See Update at Bottom of this Resource Page <---LINK

5. Once you go on the PDRL, your multiplier for the computation of retired pay will be:
The longevity multiplier which is active duty years and months x 2.5% (2% for blended retirement) = multiplier OR the PDRL disability percentage, whichever is higher.

Higher multiplier x average high three for base pay = PDRL retirement pay

Your PDRL retired pay will be reduced dollar for dollar in the amount of your VA compensation. If eligible, CRSC would be a consideration under PDRL, like it is under TRDL.

6. In both scenarios (TRDL and PDRL) you will receive your VA compensation.

Note: Average high three of base pay is the total of the highest 36 months of pay divided by 36.

Ron

I don't have a lot of answer but wanted to comment on the fact that you should have a TDRL exam schedule before your TDRL time limit ends. So if you don't have an exam don't sit around waiting for them to call. You won't automatically be retired PDRL. People have lost their retirement by the time limit expiring without a final exam. So make sure you have one scheduled. if you are 6-12 months of hitting that time limit reach out to them ASAP!
hold on..! i am just starting TDRL, i am still in the Navy active duty. What do you mean go ahead and schedule for the final exam?? i thought we wait 18 months. Should i schedule now? am all worried now. Thank you.

Hello @Rjmish7

Assuming you will be placed on the TDRL...

1. Since your number of years active duty (15) equates to less than the minimum TDRL percentage for retired pay, your multiplier will be at least 50% for retired pay on the TDRL.

2. Your retired pay: At least 50% x average high three base pay = your TDRL retired pay

3. Your retired pay will be reduced dollar for dollar in the amount of your VA compensation.

4. If you have combat related disabilities, you could be eligible for Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC) which replaces some or all of the retired pay lost at item 3.
Here is a link to a collection of CRSC info: Contemporary CRSC Information--Also See Update at Bottom of this Resource Page <---LINK

5. Once you go on the PDRL, your multiplier for the computation of retired pay will be:
The longevity multiplier which is active duty years and months x 2.5% (2% for blended retirement) = multiplier OR the PDRL disability percentage, whichever is higher.

Higher multiplier x average high three for base pay = PDRL retirement pay

Your PDRL retired pay will be reduced dollar for dollar in the amount of your VA compensation. If eligible, CRSC would be a consideration under PDRL, like it is under TRDL.

6. In both scenarios (TRDL and PDRL) you will receive your VA compensation.

Note: Average high three of base pay is the total of the highest 36 months of pay divided by 36.

Ron
I thought if PDRL, you can still be eligible for CRSC? Thank you!

hold on..! i am just starting TDRL, i am still in the Navy active duty. What do you mean go ahead and schedule for the final exam?? i thought we wait 18 months. Should i schedule now? am all worried now. Thank you.
You can only be on tdrl for 3 years so after your first 12 months make sure you reach out to the tdrl people every 6 months thereafter. I've seen many people get to the end of the 3 years without a final exam and then they lose their retirement over it.

I thought if PDRL, you can still be eligible for CRSC? Thank you!
Hello @Rjmish7

If eligible and on the TDRL, one can receive CRSC.
If eligible and on the PDRL, one can receive CRSC.
If eligible and have a TERA retirement, one can receive CRSC.
If eligible and have a RC retirement, one can receive CRSC.
Etc.

There are at least three financial considerations when one retires from the military.
1. Computation of retired pay.
2. Eligibility for VA compensation
3. Eligibility and application for CRSC.
Different laws and regulations pertain to each. This is a simplified explanation; all can be complex.

Recommend you read the material at this CRSC link <---

Ron

You can only be on tdrl for 3 years so after your first 12 months make sure you reach out to the tdrl people every 6 months thereafter. I've seen many people get to the end of the 3 years without a final exam and then they lose their retirement over it.
12 months counting from when my last day in the Navy? and how do i contact people from TDRL? Lastly, you think i can PM you if i have any other questions later? Thank you.

Hello @Rjmish7

If eligible and on the TDRL, one can receive CRSC.
If eligible and on the PDRL, one can receive CRSC.
If eligible and have a TERA retirement, one can receive CRSC.
If eligible and have a RC retirement, one can receive CRSC.
Etc.

There are at least three financial considerations when one retires from the military.
1. Computation of retired pay.
2. Eligibility for VA compensation
3. Eligibility and application for CRSC.
Different laws and regulations pertain to each. This is a simplified explanation; all can be complex.

Recommend you read the material at this CRSC link <---

Ron
Thank you so much for your help.

12 months counting from when my last day in the Navy? and how do i contact people from TDRL? Lastly, you think i can PM you if i have any other questions later? Thank you.
Yes once on TDRL for 12 months reach out to them. Your TDRL paperwork should haver their contact information on it. Otherwise the list of contacts is on this forum.