LIMDU cancelled?

airman16

Registered Member
I'm new to this site, and after reading other posts I'm hoping I can find help here too. Long story short, after having multiple deaths in my family and being in a really bad spot mentally, I went to the mental health clinic just to talk to a doctor and try to get help with coping better. The doctor asked me if I wanted to be admitted to the hospital and for some reason I said yes (even though I wasn't that bad off). Upon discharge my treatment doctor suggested limdu and I went along with it thinking it would work for me. Two weeks in to limdu I realized it wasn't the right plan for me as I was ready to go back to fit for full duty. I'm now a little over a month into limdu and still feel as though I should be fit for full duty. At the time of seeking help I was in a bad spot mentally, but I believe that's all it was. Just a rough patch in life. I feel better and do not have a history of mental Heath problems, depressions or anxiety. I tried talking to my social worker (civilian employed by the navy) to see if he could return me to full duty and he stated he didn't feel comfortable doing it, although I'm not even sure he's able to do that. I ensured him I would be fine going back to my boat and doing my job. He scheduled me for a follow up appointment with a military psychologist (commander in the navy) who would have the authority to place me back ffd if she found fit. My question is how can I return back to my ship and why does it seem like a struggle to get limdu cancelled? I feel the navy is wasting money and resources keeping me on limdu when I'm perfectly capable of going back to my job. My boat has an upcoming deployment and I want to go. There are psychologists as well as chaplains onboard my boat if I were to have any more run ins with depression. To be honest nothing makes me more excited right now than the thought of deployment so I'm almost 100% sure I will be perfectly okay going. Any input is welcomed & appreciated

catherinemedboard

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Youll have to be cleared by your psyche to go fit for full duty.
It is in their hands if they find you fit or not after all.

MorganMan

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I hate to be the bearer of bad news. Getting admitted for phych is a very serious thing in the military. It is indicative of needing 24/7 care for prevention of suicidal homicidal ideations with intent. Your doctor not mentioning that was poor judgment on his part. That being said keep fighting and you will be found fit for full. This process will probably take several months. I would expect no less than 3 months more likely 6-12 months. I am NOT a doctor or psychologist. I can only tell you about how it was for me.
If I were you I would plan of being LIMDU for approximately 6 months. Don't treat it as a punishment. It is the DOD taking care of you. Take this time to heal, truly heal, and come back stronger than ever. If you do get referred to a MED board just tell them the truth. I have seen people who tried to lie and god Medically retired with 30 percent even though they should have been in the 70-80 range. They were trying to stay in yet navy policy stated they couldn't. READ a LOT!!!

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">