LOD for PTSD with a VA rating MEB,PEB

doc-up8404

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello,
This is all new to me so I have some questions.
First a quick back story. I am currently in the Reserves. I have deployed to Iraq (active duty 2007) and Afghanistan (2011 - Reserves) both combat tours.
When I got back from the 2011 deployment,
I started being treated for PTSD. It lead me to a VA rating of 70% for PTSD & a Combined 90% overall.
Now with my "new" unit I quickly realized how bad my ptsd is around these new reserves people.
Basically I went from the infantry to an admin type atmoshere
because I promised my wife I would not go back to combat.
Anyways, after a few blow outs with a couple people, I did a periodic health assessment and vented to him what I was feeling and told him about my PTSD.
The doctor immediately said I need help for ptsd and suggested an LOD for ptsd.
Apparently I was suspose to do this LOD for ptsd when I got back from deployment
but, blew it off because I wanted to stay in the Reserves.
Fast forward to today. I have submitted my LOD (PTSD only) and I am waiting on word back.
I have been going to VA treatments and not drilling with the unit.
I just printed a copy of my LOD and noticed some SF600's were left out that show my documented ptsd.
Now there is other VA info about my PTSD in there but, the noted from active duty seemed to be left out? The packet more or less involves an IED blast I was in and had been put in the hospital for. Now this was a reason for my current ptsd I'm sure but, it was SEVERAL situations I've been in that have led to the way I feel today.

Can I submit more pages from my medical record showing the different documents I have for my PTSD from active duty?
Or becuase it's already submitted and about to be approved or dissapproved I can't?

If I get rated say 50% from the Meb board will that lower my VA rating from 70% to 50%?

I am currently working full time at a job that is literally the only job I feel like I can work at so I am nervous about getting 100% ptsd. What happens if the meb board says I'm 100%? Does the VA then rate me 100%? Then in turn I can't work?
That (for me) would be bad. My life however, unstable and bad is keeping me alive for the time being with this balance of work and family and treatment.

Lastly, will the Meb people see that I work a job that I can (somewhat) tolerate and say because you work there you can work in the reserves?

I just gave you a small small portion of my life and I'm sure you'll have questions for me to clear up what I've just wrote so please fire away.
It's nice to have people in the same boat...

I have more questions but, just want to clear this up for now.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section. If possible whoever moderates this site please move to best section possible. Thank-you

Feel free to contact me via private message if possible as well.

Last edited:

ankon1979

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hello,
First a quick back story. I am currently in the Reserves. I have deployed to Iraq (active duty 2007) and Afghanistan (2011 - Reserves) both combat tours.
I started being treated for PTSD. It lead me to a VA rating of 70% for PTSD & a Combined 90% overall.
Now with my "new" unit I quickly realized how bad my ptsd is around these new reserves people.
Anyways, after a few blow outs with a couple people, I did a periodic health assessment and vented to him what I was feeling and told him about my PTSD.
Apparently I was suspose to do this LOD for ptsd when I got back from deployment
Fast forward to today. I have submitted my LOD (PTSD only) and I am waiting on word back.
I just printed a copy of my LOD and noticed some SF600's were left out that show my documented ptsd.
Now there is other VA info about my PTSD in there but, the noted from active duty seemed to be left out? The packet more or less involves an IED blast I was in and had been put in the hospital for. Now this was a reason for my current ptsd I'm sure but, it was SEVERAL situations I've been in that have led to the way I feel today.

Can I submit more pages from my medical record showing the different documents I have for my PTSD from active duty?
Or becuase it's already submitted and about to be approved or dissapproved I can't?

If I get rated say 50% from the Meb board will that lower my VA rating from 70% to 50%?

I am currently working full time at a job that is literally the only job I feel like I can work at so I am nervous about getting 100% ptsd. What happens if the meb board says I'm 100%? Does the VA then rate me 100%? Then in turn I can't work?
That (for me) would be bad. My life however, unstable and bad is keeping me alive for the time being with this balance of work and family and treatment.

Lastly, will the Meb people see that I work a job that I can (somewhat) tolerate and say because you work there you can work in the reserves?

I just gave you a small small portion of my life and I'm sure you'll have questions for me to clear up what I've just wrote so please fire away.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section. If possible whoever moderates this site please move to best section possible. Thank-you

i am NG and i have the same the same situation like you for the LOD if you summit your VA decision narrative and some medical document of proof you have been in combat is ok ,

(Q) If I get rated say 50% from the Meb board will that lower my VA rating from 70% to 50%? =NO the MEB/PEB use the same VA rating schedule for disabilities

Jason Perry

Benevolent Leader
Site Founder
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Welcome to the PEB Forum!! Hang in there, stay strong, and ask any questions you may have along the way!!

Are there other conditions that need an LOD?

Why aren't you drilling? Are you getting INCAP pay?

Not sure exactly what is going on here. When you say you printed a copy of your LOD, is this the completed LOD? If so, what are the findings?

Again, are you looking at a completed packet or a packet in progress? While it may be helpful/good to have all stressors noted, the bottom line is that a finding of "in the line of duty" for the condition is what you want. Additional bases for the same favorable finding probably does not matter much.

Still not clear where your LOD is in the process. If it is a Formal LOD, you should have an opportunity to meet with the investigating officer and submit whatever evidence you have. Or, if you have a denial, you should have an opportunity to submit an appeal with evidence.

IDES rates you based on what the VA assigns for each condition.

The VA provides the ratings. You can work with a 100% rating. Remember, the VA provides the ratings, and the Army applies these ratings. Only issue with work is if you are rated at 100% based on unemployability. But, this does not sound like your situation.

Fitness is based on the impact of your disability on your ability to perform duties expected of someone in your grade and MOS. So, no, civilian work is not directly a measure of fitness.

Feel free to ask whatever questions you may have.

Qwiksting

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I can tell you that your situation mirrors mine to a degree, and I can tell you what is happening with me. This is so you can get a gauge of how things will or can go down. I was in the NG, Iraq 04-05. Admin discharged in 06 with no LOD. VA rated 70% ptsd in 06. Fast Forward to 2012, Appealed to the ABCMR to get an MEB/PEB. ABCMR granted request, put back in the NG to complete MEB. Awaiting C&P now from VA. Was told that C&P was over a year old, needed a new one. PTSD eventually over took my civilian job, ( I had some stability with job/Vet Center and meds) However I was medically retired from civilian job due to side effects of ptsd, or direct effects…I don't know. Was granted SS disability due to the same. Anyway, I fear the same as you do, knowing how the VA is, and how the ARMY was as far as my discharge. I feel for you, as I know how it feels. If you want you can pm me for any other details. I just don't want to put it all out here.

doc-up8404

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Thanks for all your answers.
I would like to PM you guys but I am not sure how, could you explain to me how to do that or pm me?
My LOD has been "approved" for ptsd, not much of a surprise there.
The extra documents I was talking about I guess were not necessary for LOD and I can just put them in my medical record so when I go to my medical board in a couple weeks they can see all the documentation I have pertaining to PTSD.
I have no clue what to expect for medical board.
Hopefully it's like the C&P I had at the VA where I tell them what's going on and the doctor is understanding and lets me talk. IT SUX talking about my issues with complete strangers and I get anxious just thinking about it.
I just want out of the Reserves and to continue my treatment with the VA.

yardbirdaa

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
I am reserve with a rating from the VA before my MEB. The MEB process will send you back to the VA for another Comp exam like you had when you first got rated. Don't sweat it, it's not worth getting worried about. After about ten days or so, you can request a copy of your C & P from the VA and see what the docs wrote up. Mine noted my treatment records from my current shrink in her evaluation. My ratings didn't change.

The most painful part of the MEB from my viewpoint as a Reservist is the waiting. I wish I had better news for you, but it is a waiting game. My unit also allowed me to miss drill, but do at least one day every 90 days so I didn't draw a debt with SGLI.

doc-up8404

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
That's a good point about going to drill to stay current with military pay.
Could you PM me please?

adamleary

Registered Member
I am reserve with a rating from the VA before my MEB. The MEB process will send you back to the VA for another Comp exam like you had when you first got rated. Don't sweat it, it's not worth getting worried about. After about ten days or so, you can request a copy of your C & P from the VA and see what the docs wrote up. Mine noted my treatment records from my current shrink in her evaluation. My ratings didn't change.

The most painful part of the MEB from my viewpoint as a Reservist is the waiting. I wish I had better news for you, but it is a waiting game. My unit also allowed me to miss drill, but do at least one day every 90 days so I didn't draw a debt with SGLI.
How did this meb turn out? I am still waiting on my lod.

doc-up8404

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I was put on TDRL 100% and VA was up to 100% as well (5 years ago). I had a re-eval with the VA a few months ago and my rating came back 6 weeks later saying my rating will stay the same. Also had my final DOD TDRL eval a month ago. Still waiting on those results though

doc-up8404

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
DOD rating came back 50% PDRL. Not really sure how fair it is because the VA 5 year re-eval still kept me at 100%?
I guess the VA rating I got from a long comp and pen exam didn't mean too much to the DOD when making their final rating
from my a much shorter "final" tdrl exam.
I'm not really sure what to do as far as appeal goes and the DOD side has been tough to get answers from...

doc-up8404

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
What's up everyone, I went ahead and accepted the findings yesterday to be placed PDRL 50%. I'm relieved to put this all behind me... I'll put in for CRSC once my PDRL is official. Unfortunately, my TDRL slipped through the cracks and I never had a single re-evaluation in 4 years and 10 months. I had to call around to get orders (on my own) for a final eval because no one was in contact with me for almost 5 years. I'm glad I did because if I didn't then my health care would have (by law) stopped. Which is ironic because by law they are supposed to re-evaluate you within 6-18 months but I digress.. Don't make the same mistake I did and not contact them sooner... If you are close to your deadline DO NOT wait for them to call you. YOU CALL THEM!!! It sux but it is what it is. It's NOT the way it "should" be but for some of us it happens this way, we slip through the cracks because our command had failed us in some way. So with that said the Navy side (for me) did a pretty awesome job at expediting my decision to this point. I got orders for the final eval, did the final eval, had the eval sent to PEB, decision come back, signed it (approved) yesterday and faxed it in. The whole thing took about 6 weeks... It would have been 5 weeks but I had to wait almost 1 week to finally talk to a Navy lawyer who went over the findings and answered a couple questions. Now I'm just waiting on my final PDRL letter for it to be official. So just a heads up, if you were/are like me on 5 years of TDRL (or 3 years TDRL) and have not gotten a reevaluation then call around and get one done asap. DO NOT LET YOUR TDRL GO PAST IT'S TIME. I'd say to be comfortable 6 months Minimum before TDRL expires, if you don't hear from anyone then start calling and emailing around. Make a paper trail and document your calls and who you talk with, times dates ext.. Again my case was super time sensitive and the Navy def " expedited " my case pretty fast considering what I've seen here from others.. If I had my final eval done sooner then I would have had a much easier time disputing a severance finding or in my case a lower rating (I went from 100%TDRL to 50% PDRL). I'm ok with it though. Further, I'm grateful to all of you who have typed their concerns, questions, comments about their own process/progress/regress/failures and success on this forum. I'm also grateful for the Navy side who stepped up and got my decision done fast. If you are hunting this forum for answers or advice (early or late in the game) just know you are doing yourself a HUGE SERVICE and will be ahead of the curve. I struggle every day with my disability(s) so to unload this off my mind was a small win for me in life..
Last thing I'll say is there is always so much to learn and the best way to do that is from others... Thanks again everyone.

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
One point:

Approved CRSC is payable while on the TRDL as well as the PDRL.

Ron

jbugg

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hello,

Hey just a quick nugget that I found out the hard way. I just medically retired in feb but I also was not drilling for the previous 2 years while going through everything. It was too much. Anyways just make sure you either cancel your FEGLI (life insurance) or pay it out of pocket. Otherwise you are incurring a debt every month of around $30 or so. I was hit with a $700 bill the month after I retired. Good luck brother

doc-up8404

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hey just a quick nugget that I found out the hard way. I just medically retired in feb but I also was not drilling for the previous 2 years while going through everything. It was too much. Anyways just make sure you either cancel your FEGLI (life insurance) or pay it out of pocket. Otherwise you are incurring a debt every month of around $30 or so. I was hit with a $700 bill the month after I retired. Good luck brother

Yikes and thank you. I did not know that and will def look into it once my retirement goes through. Do you know how I would go about cancelling it now? Thank

jbugg

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Yikes and thank you. I did not know that and will def look into it once my retirement goes through. Do you know how I would go about cancelling it now? Thank
No I don't. I would call your unit and tell then you need it cancelled.

btaf

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
What's up everyone, I went ahead and accepted the findings yesterday to be placed PDRL 50%. I'm relieved to put this all behind me... I'll put in for CRSC once my PDRL is official. Unfortunately, my TDRL slipped through the cracks and I never had a single re-evaluation in 4 years and 10 months. I had to call around to get orders (on my own) for a final eval because no one was in contact with me for almost 5 years. I'm glad I did because if I didn't then my health care would have (by law) stopped. Which is ironic because by law they are supposed to re-evaluate you within 6-18 months but I digress.. Don't make the same mistake I did and not contact them sooner... If you are close to your deadline DO NOT wait for them to call you. YOU CALL THEM!!! It sux but it is what it is. It's NOT the way it "should" be but for some of us it happens this way, we slip through the cracks because our command had failed us in some way. So with that said the Navy side (for me) did a pretty awesome job at expediting my decision to this point. I got orders for the final eval, did the final eval, had the eval sent to PEB, decision come back, signed it (approved) yesterday and faxed it in. The whole thing took about 6 weeks... It would have been 5 weeks but I had to wait almost 1 week to finally talk to a Navy lawyer who went over the findings and answered a couple questions. Now I'm just waiting on my final PDRL letter for it to be official. So just a heads up, if you were/are like me on 5 years of TDRL (or 3 years TDRL) and have not gotten a reevaluation then call around and get one done asap. DO NOT LET YOUR TDRL GO PAST IT'S TIME. I'd say to be comfortable 6 months Minimum before TDRL expires, if you don't hear from anyone then start calling and emailing around. Make a paper trail and document your calls and who you talk with, times dates ext.. Again my case was super time sensitive and the Navy def " expedited " my case pretty fast considering what I've seen here from others.. If I had my final eval done sooner then I would have had a much easier time disputing a severance finding or in my case a lower rating (I went from 100%TDRL to 50% PDRL). I'm ok with it though. Further, I'm grateful to all of you who have typed their concerns, questions, comments about their own process/progress/regress/failures and success on this forum. I'm also grateful for the Navy side who stepped up and got my decision done fast. If you are hunting this forum for answers or advice (early or late in the game) just know you are doing yourself a HUGE SERVICE and will be ahead of the curve. I struggle every day with my disability(s) so to unload this off my mind was a small win for me in life..
Last thing I'll say is there is always so much to learn and the best way to do that is from others... Thanks again everyone.
did you get to keep your 100% from VA?

doc-up8404

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
did you get to keep your 100% from VA?
YES I got to keep my 100% VA. But with that said a VA rating and DOD rating are different and not interchangeable. While there is some grey area with each as to the treatments, exams ext in determining (or helping to determine) someone's DOD or VA rating/increase/decrease they are both ultimately different. For example my DOD rating went down from 100% TDRL to 50% PDRL but that had absolultely no change in my 100% VA rating. I had a 5 year follow up C&P re-exam with the VA a few months before my final TDRL exam. That VA C&P exam said nothig had changed and kept me at 100%. That same VA C&P exam was also helpful in providing infortmation for my final DOD exam with a DOD Doctor but ultimately the DOD did not fully agree with the VA exam, did their own evaluation (again using some of the VA's previous treatments and exams as evidence) and dropped me to 50% DOD but put me on PDRL. Hope that makes sense? In short your VA rating does NOT determine your DOD rating and vice verses. One being lowered on either side will not automatically lower or raise the other.

Verschie

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
YES I got to keep my 100% VA. But with that said a VA rating and DOD rating are different and not interchangeable. While there is some grey area with each as to the treatments, exams ext in determining (or helping to determine) someone's DOD or VA rating/increase/decrease they are both ultimately different. For example my DOD rating went down from 100% TDRL to 50% PDRL but that had absolultely no change in my 100% VA rating. I had a 5 year follow up C&P re-exam with the VA a few months before my final TDRL exam. That VA C&P exam said nothig had changed and kept me at 100%. That same VA C&P exam was also helpful in providing infortmation for my final DOD exam with a DOD Doctor but ultimately the DOD did not fully agree with the VA exam, did their own evaluation (again using some of the VA's previous treatments and exams as evidence) and dropped me to 50% DOD but put me on PDRL. Hope that makes sense? In short your VA rating does NOT determine your DOD rating and vice verses. One being lowered on either side will not automatically lower or raise the other.
Hey there. I know this thread was from ages ago, but I am having a situation that is similar to yours. When you say you kept your 100% VA rating, does that mean you kept your VA pay too? Because my rating from my re-eval stayed 80% for VA, but DoD/TDRL went from 70% to 30% but also put me on PDRL. Does this mean I keep my 80% VA pay and am now permanently retired or did the DoD screw me? Thanks.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">