LOD Hip condition

Malenurse95

Registered Member
Good morning, I'm not sure if I am posting this in the right place, so please bear with me. I am a 42 year old Army Reservist of 13 years, I have an LOD for bilateral hip DJD/osteoarthritis with a right hip FAI. I am in the MEB process and just received my NARSUM. My conditions that were considered to be unfit per army regulations were:

Major depressive disorder.

Right hip FAI w/ DJD (VA DX) degenerative changes to hips, liberal tear of right hip/chronic pain disorder. My orthodontist says he can repair with arthroscopic procedure, but will eventually need total hip

Left hip osteoarthritis (VA DX) / bilateral degenerative changes to hips/ chronic pain disorder. My ortho says I will need a total hip.

The conditions that were considered fit were:
Thoracolumbar DJD, diagnosed in the C&P exam, my claim was for lower radicular back pain. But the VA examiner said that this was normal wear and tear.

Bilateral knee strain VA DX/ bilateral knee osteoarthritis. The VA examiner said this was normal wear and tear and not related to my hips, even when I submitted a report from my civilian ortho that diagnosed the arthritis in my hips and knees.

Bilateral glenohumeral DJD VA DX/ bilateral shoulder condition. Was diagnosed by my PCP after X-ray's were done because of increased pain and limited ROM. VA examiner said that this was normal wear and tear and not related to my military service.

GERD.....my medical records say GERD with gastritis, but the VA examiner seems to have missed that, I take protinix Daily. The VA examiner said that this was not related to my chronically taking NSAIDS for my hip and knee pain before stopping because they were affecting my kidneys. I disagree.

Constipation due to opiod therapy. I told the VA examiner that I eat prunes to help. And he wrote that having a bowel movement every other day is not out of range......... He also seems to have missed the lactulose that I take daily in addition to the prunes.

ITP idopathic thrombocytopenic purpura. Was diagnosed by my hematologist, when my ortho did blood work to see if he could inject my hips with cortisone, my platelet count was 77 this was August 2015. My C&P exam was June 2016, labs were done and my platelet count was 78 (normal range 150-400). But the VA examiner said that I had never been profiled for that condition!!!!!! That's all. Not sure what that means though but I came through MEPs twice 1994 and 2010 no ITP. It just came out of nowhere.

Obstructive sleep apnea. VA said that my ability to work wasn't impacted, I disagree. Examiner also said that there is insufficient evidence that my OSA interferes with satisfactory performance of duty. No mention of service connected so I'm not clear here.

Hearing loss

Tinnitus

First I think that if my hips make me unfit then so should the DJD in my shoulders and back along with the osteoarthritis in my knees.

As I am reading through the packet my PEBLO sent me, I see the option for an IPR but not sure exactly how that helps.

I will speak to my PEBLO Monday. And insight would be appreciated.

SGT Moore.

Are you aware of INCAP pay?

Reserve component Soldiers who are unable to work in the civilian jobs OR perform their military duties (attend drill) Due to an LOD injury, are entitled to REQUEST INCAP pay, which would be the pay of an Active Duty Soldier (full time, including BAH and BAS) MINUS whatever taxable income they are receiving for the same time period.

Reference AR 135-381 and DA PAM 135-381

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions regarding INCAP pay.

Hope this helps...