Looking for advice?

Beth36

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hey guys,
I wasn't sure of which forum to post this. My husband is Active Duty Airforce wifh combined service of 19 years. He came home early from deployment in March due to mental health concerns. He spent 60 days impatient psychiatric and was diagnosed with schizoeffective disorder. There was no previous history of any mental health issues. We just started the board process and he met with th VA psychiatrist today. I had a couple of questions.

- Would DOD give him 20 years of service credit if he had 14 active and 5 reserve...to be Abel to use DOD and VA benefits.
- Does anyone know what the normal DOD percentage is for this kind of diagnosis?

- Would DOD give him 20 years of service credit if he had 14 active and 5 reserve...to be Abel to use DOD and VA benefits.
No, he would need to have 20 years of active duty service or 7200 points as a reservist.

- Does anyone know what the normal DOD percentage is for this kind of diagnosis?

The percentage will vary based upon the severity rating of the condition. Typically mental health ratings are at least 50% TDRL (this means they will give a temporary rating, and reexamine in the future in case the condition worsens or gets better).

The rating comes from 38 CFR Book 3 and he will be examined by the VA, or a contractor for the VA.

I would think a psychotic disorder would probably not be combat related but I don't know the particulars of his case. I am a diagnosed schizophrenic. When you read his C&P exam results there will be a section that describes his social and occupational impairment.
As said above it will be at least 50%.if he is found unfit but for psychotic disorders there is also the possibility of 70 or 100% depending on the severity of his symptoms.