Lupus diagnoses, going to be MEB'd!!

kpittmand

Registered Member
Hello, and thank you for reading my post!

I’m an active duty SrA in the Air Force and I’ve been in for 4 yrs. I was diagnosed with Lupus (SLE) a year and a half ago. Now that I have orders to PCS, they want to do a MEB on me.

They first tried a FAST-TRACK (which I’m not familiar with) and the results from that came back as…. They want to do a full MEB on me! I’ve been taking Plaquenil since I was diagnosed and I haven’t had any major health issues since then. I can perform my job well (I’m a 4A0, Patient Admin, my job is also force retraining members). From what I’ve heard, there is a new process for MEBs now, where you see the VA before you get out so that you don’t have to wait for your benefits.

Someone please help me out! How long are MEBs taking now? What do you think my findings will be? (TDRL, perm retirement, etc). If you know someone that has been MEB’d for Lupus, please tell them to give me a holler! Thank you for your time!

I was MEBd for Lupus and Fibro at 16yrs AD what you get depends on the severity of the disease it can range from 10 to 100%. I got 60% and TDRL from the ARMY and 90% the VA but that is because I take 20 mg of Prednisone daily in addition to Plaquenil. Since my board was completed I have been diagnosed with so many different stuff so I wont know how things will go at my 18 month re-eval. Pls feel free to ask any questions

My friends mom just got dx'd with Lupus. I just found out like an hour ago. Sorry to hear. Good luck! Was it caused by meds? Hers was.

I dont know what cause it... i was hospitalized for TTP initially, 2 weeks later when lab results were in, a rheumatologist diagnosed me with Lupus. i havent had any complications since i've been diagnosed though... thanks for the reply!

lupusladi (lol at username)... when were you discharged? i dont have many serious symptoms from Lupus, some joint pain from time to time, thats my biggest issue as of now...how long did your board take? is it the same board as the air force? how does TDRL work, will they be able to return someone to duty? if so, what's the likelihood of returning someone with Lupus?... thanks for the reply!

Yes I will be discharged my board was initiated in November 2010 and completed June 2011. Similar process to the AF i believe not to sure but the rating is all done by the VA doesnt matter what branch. My Rheumy did mention to me that some ppl can be returned to duty depending on severity of disease, I have also seen someone rated 10% because it was not severe I fell in the middle at 60% and of course severe will rated at 100%.

Well, if you hvebeen on high dose anti biotics, there's a good chance pills are to blame. Id go see a civilan doc as well. Just an option you have. I just know militay doc are norm overwhelmed. Main focus should be your health. Imo!

They are many different types of Lupus the most common is Systemic Lupus Erythematosus which affects most bodys systems. Discoid Lupus affects the skin only and Drug Induced Lupus brought on by use of certain medication and will resolve once the medication is discontinued. There is no grey area either you have it or you dont like many diseases lupus goes into remission and then it flares thats when your symptoms are really bad. I saw a civilian Rheumy and was referred back to Walter Reed because WRAMC could provide me with a hire level of care so dont get caught up in the military civilian thing a good rheumy is hard to find, thanks to WRAMC I have been feeling the best I have been in 4 yrs so do your research. You cant go wrong you are your best advocate