LVAD (Left Ventricle Assist Device)

Robgun73

PEB Forum Regular Member
Hello all, I just joined the site a few days ago and my board started on the 25th of July and I am kind of nervous and don't really know what to expect in regards to my rating percentage both by the VA and the Navy. I have kind of a long story so I hope not to bore you guys and girls to death but here it goes.

I had a spinal fusion in November of 2011 and the Dr. finally after six months of follow ups decided that the fusion was not taking and that he needed to perform a CT mylogram to figure out why. Well unfortunately the Dr. who was to perform the procedure refused to do so because my pulse was extremely high so I was referred to cardiology. The cardiologist informed me that after the that I had an ejection fraction rating of 13 percent. The cardiologist then decided to put me on heart meds and blood pressure meds and various other pills for three monthsto report back for a follow up. Three months had nearly passed and it was almost time for my follow up when I suffered a mini stroke (TIA). While in the hospital (Portsmouth Naval) the doctor deciddd that I should have an ICD implanted, mind you I forgot to mention that I was coming up to my 20 year retirement, the doctor said I would be fine to retire with the ICD implanted and that I could just follow up at the VA hospital. My wife and I were not too thrilled about this idea and decided that we should have a second opinion. We then went to SentaraHeart Hospital for a series of tests and after the tests I was admitted to the hospital that same day and my wife was told that I literally had 6 months to a year to live. 12 days later I underwent open heart surgery to implant the LVAD, its basically a life support system that I have that requires constant battery or electricity and it keeps me alive until my name gets to the top of the donor list. Such a great amount to get your head wrapped around in the span of six months, I just want to ensure that I will have the means to help support my family since I will be unemployable when I am finally released from the Navy. Is there anyone who have had the same experience or have any idea what my percentages from the VA or DoD could be?