Major Starr Act

Audiocatt

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Is anybody tracking the new legislation for HR 5995, The Major Star Act, and how it applies to CRSC?

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Sponsor:Rep. Bilirakis, Gus M. [R-FL-12] (Introduced 02/27/2020)
Committees:House - Armed Services; Veterans' Affairs
Latest Action: House - 03/09/2020 Referred to the Subcommittee on Disability Assistance and Memorial Affairs. (All Actions)

Tracker:
This bill has the status Introduced
Here are the steps for Status of Legislation:
  1. Introduced
--->LINK

Ron

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
It is important to know this bill has not been passed and will probably not be passed.

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
It is important to know this bill has not been passed and will probably not be passed.
Hello,

I agree; it probably will not be passed.

However the voting on the bill (it it gets that far) will provide the names of those who supported the bill and those who did not.

The existence of the bill proves that at least some of Congress supports veterans in this particular matter.

Ron

Ghnkit

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hello,

However the voting on the bill (it it gets that far) will provide the names of those who supported the bill and those who did not.

The existence of the bill proves that at least some of Congress supports veterans in this particular matter.

Ron
I believe the 2T stimulus bill would have been the best chance to attach it to. I wonder if they tried? But I agree with you it probably won’t pass.

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Hello,

Ron
I agree that it should be proposed. The current CRDP was proposed many times before it passed. This is often how legislation becomes law. Changes in laws often take years.

mcdonaldj2323

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Total support this happening but to even have a slight chance Congress would likely want to study the impacts for a year or two. When that study makes it into a NDAA, I will take it seriously.

oddpedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
@mcdonaldj2323

What study? its just a CR bill the CBO and GAO offices have already released the cost of the bill its completely affordable.

mcdonaldj2323

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
$30 billion over the next ten years is not exactly what I’d call affordable. It will likely require a major offset. Referring to Armed Svs and VA committees is frequently a way to let it die - a report or further study direction is at least some action, ie; a positive sign.

oddpedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
@mcdonaldj2323

I mean if you dont support it that's fine but multiplying bills by decades are just shock numbers the budget offices use to try to kill bills. CRDP as it stands now is 11.4 billion a year 114 billion over a decade with no offset. This bill covers injured combat veterans only dont want to pay it? dont send Americans to wars simple fix.

mcdonaldj2323

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
See my earlier post, I agree with you and 100% support it and think it is ridiculous it is not already law. I am doubtful Congress will step up and do the right thing and suspect the easiest thing is to let it die in committee. Already sent a note to my Congressional reps legislative liaison in support.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">